What is a good descent rate in an A319?

Pro Member First Officer
leachus2002 First Officer

Hi,

I am currently flying an A319 - desending from 23,000 to 5,000 before finals.

What is a average descent rate in one of these aircraft? I am coming down between 1300 and 1800ft/m - should I be coming down less or more?

Thanks
Leachus

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Have a read of this link:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/3299/three-questions-about-landing/#16545

Descent rates vary with distance from the runway, but anything up to 2200fpm (without spoilers) is good 😉

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

I have never flown one, but with any plane, I would read what the recomended decent rate is. OK, I know you probably won't do that, so at least keep it under a rate that you can still control your speed at. You should always be able to slow down with your throttles.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

99jolegg, spoilers are the same as speedbrakes aren't they? As in, little slits that you can deploy during flight which "spoil" the airflow over the wing and therefore slow down the plane?

So when you say with no spoilers, do you just mean that you should be descending at a rate that doesn't cause his speed to go up so much that he needs brakes?

Thanks a lot for any help clearing this up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

...spoilers are the same as speedbrakes aren't they?

Negative. This is an excerpt from Wikipedia on the subject:

Spoilers differ from airbrakes in that airbrakes are designed to increase drag while making little change to lift, while spoilers greatly reduce lift while making only a moderate increase in drag.

Idea

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

JTH wrote:

So when you say with no spoilers, do you just mean that you should be descending at a rate that doesn't cause his speed to go up so much that he needs brakes?

Thanks a lot for any help clearing this up!

Yes. If your speed increases at idle thrust when you are descending, then you are descending too fast. If that cannot be helped, i.e. you must descend quickly, then use the spoilers and you can descend a lot faster without increasing speed 😉

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

So... spoilers make you descend faster, but speedbrakes just make you slow down faster?

Could anyone explain what each of these look like/how they work? Thanks a lot!

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

we'll be done soon then, as the two are the same thing Wink
In FS2004, by default, you deploy the spoilers pressing " / "

If you've ever sat close to a wing of a plane when landing; the spoilers (a.k.a speedbrakes) are the'plates'(by lack of a better word) on the upper side of the wing that (usually) pop up the moment the plane settles on the runway; greatly increasing drag, and thus slowing the plane down at a faste rate than it normally would.

Same goes when you're in the air, the increase in drag when spoilers are deployed will slow you down a lot, enabling you to descend faster if necessary, as jolegg explained above. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

So... spoilers and speedbrakes are the same thing? 😕

And spoilers (also known as speedbrakes) are used OCCASIONALLY in the air when a pilot wants to descend quicker without increasing speed but ALWAYS used when the pilot touches down on the tarmac to slow the plane down? Is that all correct?

Thanks a lot once again for any help!

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I think so too. I noticed quite a few times sitting by the window near the wing. The spoilers are the same plates as the airbrakes. I got a question for you guys, what do the slats do? just like wing flaps on the front edges of the wings?

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

bear one more thing in mind that decent rate has something to do with your passenger comfort. at thing faster than 2000 will make earpopping unbearable, or even pain......make sure dont get complaints from your pax 🙂

spoilers are not only used for beaking, right after landing it cuts the proper airflow so that wing doesn't produce any force that makes the plane able to fly. Sometimes the speed can be little bit more than 'on the edge' right before stall. it helps to stabilize the plane on the ground with high speed.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...