graphics card

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

Hi guys,

I'm just about to buy a new graphics card. Its a ati radeon 512 mb ddr3 x2900HD card. I believe it supports DX10 as well.

I had some queries on the same.

1. Incase I dont hv a Vista is it worth buying a DX10 card?

2. I dont have SP1 running with SFX at the moment. Will that make any difference?

3. What do they mean exactly by a HD card. I mean apart from HD support do I get any additional benefits?

4. If all of above are positive how much of a difference will it make to my frames on FSX?

I hv listed my current config.

My current machine specs are:
Intel core-2 duo on Chipset D946GZ
2 GB DDR-2 Ram
256 mb ati radeon x550 existing pci-e card
all the above on windows xp sp2 home edition

Kindly let me know

Cheers

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
xXx-DeathKid-xXx Trainee

1. It is still a good card that will work brilliantly without DX10, but i suggest you get Vista and DX10 to unleash the full capability

2. Download it now! Fixes all manner of issues

3. Yes, and no, basically, it will play movies to a higher quality, that's all. As far as i know, no game enhancements, that's all to do with how fast the clocks and cores are of the card.

4. You are running a great setup, if you lock it at 25fps, you will easily get it. but SERIOUSLY DOWNLOAD FSX SP1! Wink It makes a tonne of difference.

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

But my frame rates go terribly down when I fly over a busy airport. And in the extreme weather conditions its not even worth mentioning!!!!

All this in only medium/above medium settings

I hope buying the x2900xt will help my frames coz its 512mb card?!?

Cheers

Pro Member Trainee
xXx-DeathKid-xXx Trainee

yes, and so will installing SP1! Wink

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

I've heard before installing SP1 u need to uninstall all addons and FSX

How true is this?

Pro Member Trainee
xXx-DeathKid-xXx Trainee

true as true can be Wink

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

Hey one more thing I'd like to ask is can I use the ATI tool to overclock the x2900xt graphic card?

I'm new to the section of overclocking? Could u guide me how to go about it? And what is the best possible way?

Cheers

Pro Member Trainee
xXx-DeathKid-xXx Trainee

Well, I only use Nvidia, and I have overclocked my GPU and BIOS. But ATI, i dunno, soz 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...