altitude question

Pro Member Trainee
stocz2 Trainee

I am flying mostly all smaller AC for now. Still learn the basic of flying. Once in awhile i will fly a 717-200, and getting the hang of it.

If i were to fly the Boeing 717-200, from Gen. Mitchell Intl. (KMKE) to Minneapolis - St. Paul Intl.(KMSP), which is about a 35 min flight. Do i need to be at a certain altitude for my flight? I'm not sure if there is a minimum altitude a AC has to be above, for that short period of time.
I'm pretty sure the people who live in the city or towns wouldn't like a larger AC flying at a very low altitude over head. Due to how loud they are.

thanks,
stocz2

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Good rule of thumb for me... when I use flight plan in a commercial jet I pick high altitude airways... generally it gives me Flight levels (from like 18,000 feet and up).

Usually unless I am flying to like KCLE (cleveland), from KPIT (Pittsburgh), which is only a 20 minute flight I usually fly around at 20-25k feet.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Unlike Belgeode I estimate my altitude based on distance. Anything over 220 nm I fly over FL300. It conserves fuel.

Pro Member Trainee
stocz2 Trainee

Thanks for the replies.
I wasn't sure if there was a standard altitude.

Then i just spoke with a freind from work. He told me when our MD11's and DC10's fly from here KORD to KMEM they fly at 35000 ft. And our 727 fly at 30000 ft from KORD to KMKE, about a 20 min flight. By the time the 727 get to 30000 ft., they are starting to descend already.

Thanks again,
stocz2

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

There is another method for deciding the cruising alt. If you are gonna be flying between 0-179 degrees on the compass than your cruise level should be an odd number, if flying between 180-359 than even flight level.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

VegasFlyer wrote:

There is another method for deciding the cruising alt. If you are gonna be flying between 0-179 degrees on the compass than your cruise level should be an odd number, if flying between 180-359 than even flight level.

Never heard of that before, thanks VF 😉 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...