fitting a new power supply

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

I wondered if anyone here knows how easy it is to fit a new power supply. Looking on amazon I see that I can get a basic 600watt one for around £25. Will this be ok or should I spend more? Also, will it fit and be ok with my system, or are only certian ones compatible. How easy will it be to fit?

Thankyou in advance for all your help,
Mossy.

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

As long as it is compatible electrically (which it should be) and physically can be attached in the box then yes it is pretty easy to hook it up. Check your case specs and specs for the power supply.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain

yup... i built my own computers, so this is near and dear to me.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

is there a website or free program that will test my hardware and tell me my power supply etc?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

mossy wrote:

is there a website or free program that will test my hardware and tell me my power supply etc?

This should do it and get a name brand.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

I couldnt answer all the fields but I did my best and it told me I need about 300 watts. I think I already have 350w so it is not worth upgrading.
Thanks for the help.

Pro Member Chief Captain

unwritten rule of thumb... unless you are adding a LOT of stuff (extra dvd players, multiple hard drives etc etc...) go with what you are rated for. 350 watts should be good for most computers.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Just my opinion but I wouldn't go with anything less than a 700w name brand power supply.

I can't see a modern day system using a 300w p/s.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

Can you give me some examples of name brands. I cant really fork out a lot of money at the moment, but would I be able to find maybe a 600w name brand for £40 or under? otherwise I have to save up for a bit.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Try Directron.com for a wide selection. if you are comparing prices use Newegg.com, do NOT use ebay... you get what you pay for.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Right!

Read this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/09/pc_power_supplies/index.html

Antec, Enermax, Thermaltake all top brands.

You get what you pay for.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

I opened up my computer and had a look, it turns out that I have a 500w atx power supply. I think I will wait fot a bit and perhaps upgrade my cooling system first as I think this is a greater issue. However, I thankyou for all you help and will save these posts for future ref.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

take a look at my experience:

The new PSU cured my overheating too.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

Well my new sapphire x1950 pro 256mb ddr3 graphic card has arrived today. It is far bigger than my old one and has a lead connecting directly to the power supply. Everything seems smooth, but it might be worth upgrading all the same. I will see if I can find enough for a new power supply, although my bank is drained near dry already and with the jewish festivals and my dad's 50th birthday coming up I owe a lot of people a lot of presents!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

mossy, before buying it run the name and a link to it by us.
I hate to see you buying a no name that promises 700w and delivers much less.

Have a good holiday. and tell the old guy happy birthday (I'm older than him 😉 ).

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

I will be sure to post the power supply before buying it.
Thankyou very much for all you help and shana tova. (hebrew for happy new year.)

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...