Water Textures....All at Sea!

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

Dear Fellow Simmers

I was wondering wheither anyone might know the cause and remedy of FS9 water textures appearing as square tiles and usually of different shade of blue. I thought it might be an antialiasing problem as I always have mine switched off, but truth is I just don't know. Any advice would be most welcome.

kind regards

kevin

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

what are your system specs?

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

kevin2003,

I have experienced that a couple of times. Try turning off some background apps before running the sim. Turn down some of the settings for graphics in FS9. Increase your RAM.

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

Hi F_E_M

I've got the following😀ell Dimension 2300 PC with P4-2.4Ghtz, 90 Gbt HD, 770mb Ram, NVidea GEforce 5200-256mb card. All Terrain sliders maxed with scenery set to Dense. Render/Transform ticked with Anti-aliasing off. Trilinear set/Mipmapping-4 and FPS set to unlimited.

I usually get between 15 to 25 FPS which probably isn't bad with the 5200.

Any thoughts?

regards

kevin

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

kevin2003 wrote:

Hi F_E_M

... All Terrain sliders maxed with scenery set to Dense. Render/Transform ticked with Anti-aliasing off. Trilinear set/Mipmapping-4 and FPS set to unlimited.

Any thoughts?

regards

kevin

Maxing out your settings is the problem.

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

I've got FS AutoStart so all programs are shut down and only the critical proccesses remain active. As for RAM I've got bags of it.

regards

kevin

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

Thanks for your reply Michlin,

Which settings do you suggest I should roll back? Terrain or Scenery?

regards

kevin

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I HAD the exact same card as you for a while.

1. Limit FPS to 35

2. Autogen Terrain: Normal-Dense

3. The slider JUST above autogen scenery...has to do with airports/custom buildings, NOT addon...Normal

4. Clouds Turn OFF 3-d, use High Detail Clouds tho...30MI draw distance, sight distance...little less than halfway.

5. you can use Trilinear Filtering, but bring down the thing that "Creates the illusion of distance"...above the "Lights" One in the menu where you set frame rates, bring that back to 4-6

6. NO anti-alaising, it kills frames

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Kevin2003,
Take a long look at this post and see if it helps you too.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/2428/problem-solved-finally/

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

Dear Radarman,

I went over the thread link you suggested carefully and concluded the following:
a) My effects folder already has a texture subfolder so no joy there.

b) While my scenery/world/texture folder has both bitmap and AGN files in the same folder, the issue of a subfolder does not arise as I checked the original(which I had backed up some time ago) and clearly both types of exist side bt side. Again , no joy there.

So I thought......

I then realised that the detail of the land terrain, within about a 5 to 10 mile radius of the aircraft, actually "fills in" progressivly as I fly. I am now of the view that because the sea is featureless, this "filling in" process manifests itself as square or rectangular slabes of differing hues awaiting to self correct as the aircraft gets to within optimum range. Therefore,I believe its reasonable to conclude the following:

1) there is nothing wrong with either the effects or the scernery/world/texture folders.

2) this is a processor/graphics card/slider settings based problen

or

3) I,ve gone off on a wild tangent and missed the point entirely.

My spec is posted above and is. I believe, probably better than average(I hope).So if its sliders, the question is which ones and by how much?

regards

kevin

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Kevin - what you described sounds remarkably similar to what I sometimes get, just the sea surfasce tiled up in squares.
For me, this usually appears to happen during night-flights; not so often during daytime for some reaon.

Could you possibly post a screenshot of what you exactly mean?

I also have a FX5200, but the 128mb version.
slightly more ram tho, 1024 mb.

interested to hear back from you.

Ard

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

It's early days but by moving the "Terrain Textures Size" slider back to medium there seems to be a marked improvement.

Hi ARD-DC. If you can advise me on how to post a screenshot on the forum I'd be delighted post you an example of my "slab" problem

regards

kevin[/img]

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Ok, your textures are rendering slowly, that's all.
It's a sign of not enough memory to do it properly.
You have enough to do it your sliders are just up to high for the card you have.
Turn down the traffic, autogen, scenery to default. Turn off the water and set the clouds as low as possible without loosing them.
You may have too many programs running in the background, shut some down and if it runs better just after you boot up, then it's the background programs.
Set you weather to clear.
If all looks good then you can slowly move a slide at a time until your satisfied with the result.
Let us know how you do.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

Thanks Raderman,

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'll implement your suggested remedy straight away. My options for a graphics card are nil as I only have PCI compatible MB and I understand that my NVidea is close to top of the heap for that format. Would an upgrade to a more powerful proccessor bring any cost effective results in your opinion?

regards

kevin

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Things would go a little faster, but not the sim.Its a bit like buying a Rolls Royce and fitting a Mini engine
You need more grunt in the graphics dept.
Can you add more ram?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

No, your CPU is fine and if you portion out the ram (shut down the background or programs) you should be ok.
Yes the video card is a big help with the rendering but you are stuck if you don't have a AGP slot.
Just play with the sliders, turn off what you don't need.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

Will do. Thanks again for the sound advice.

kindest regards

kevin

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

kevin2003 wrote:

It's early days but by moving the "Terrain Textures Size" slider back to medium there seems to be a marked improvement.

Hi ARD-DC. If you can advise me on how to post a screenshot on the forum I'd be delighted post you an example of my "slab" problem

regards

kevin[/img]

bit late now I realise, but goes all the same,
you will need to put it on an FTP somewhere and link to it in your post, using [IMG] [/IMG] tags...
Picture below is hosted on my own (paid) FTP, but there are some free sites where you can upload files to as well. I've seen the site-link on this forum, but can't find it now :/

anyway, below is mine. not a very clear example as it isn't very bad here, I'm close to the coastline, you can see the water in the distance.
Happens as well though, when I'm flying over sea, I see water in the distance, and a big pitch-black square below me....doesnt look nice :/

It's like the textures just dont want to load.

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

Thanks ARD-DC, thats exactly what mine looks like.Another feature is that its an intermittent fault. One minute everything is OK, the next its hop scotch on water! I'm gonna go with Radarman and start rolling back the sliders.

regards

kevin

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...