Computer question

Pro Member Trainee
Splitdog Trainee

I have an Athlon 64 dual-core 2.4 on a RS480 M mobo. 2 Gig mem. I have an Nvidea 8800GTS card, but what would give me more FPS? What chipset or memory would benefit me the most without major cost? Thanks. (FSX with VISTA)

Answers 20 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Your specs already seem pretty decent. If anything I would recommend more RAM. Vista is RAM hungry and will probably be taking up about 1 third of your current RAM before you run any other application.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

... except that my 162fps was achieved on Vista with only 2gigs of RAM. So that theory was blown out of the water.

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

JLangevin wrote:

... except that my 162fps was achieved on Vista with only 2gigs of RAM. So that theory was blown out of the water.

Dude, I think everyone is sick of hearing about it. I guess the poster should have said "RAM helps everyone except JLangevin who is a self professed computer god who can run his system purely on arrogance."

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

deleted

Last edited by Cheeks on Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

And my rebuttle would have been that those who believe that you cant perform on 2gigs of RAM with Vista, need to remove their thumb from their posterior.

You can be sick of it all you want, but when false information is given, I will always be here to stick my "arrogant" nose in. Get used to it, or move on.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You both had your say, cool it or take it to the PMs.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Thank you Radarman....

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Splitdog wrote:

I have an Athlon 64 dual-core 2.4 on a RS480 M mobo. 2 Gig mem. I have an Nvidea 8800GTS card, but what would give me more FPS? What chipset or memory would benefit me the most without major cost? Thanks. (FSX with VISTA)

Either upgrade to a faster processor or overclock your current processor. Judging from your brand of processor, you can squeeze a little more out of your processor. Also check your fps settings.... FSX is default at 20 fps. If you have it at unlimited, then what was the maximum frame rate you have had?

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

JLangevin wrote:

How and why?

Serious question. I have 1.5GB RAM and wouldn't get anywhere near that. I'd be happy to keep it at a constant 20 with decent settings.

Pro Member Trainee
Splitdog Trainee

GundamWZero wrote:

Splitdog wrote:

Either upgrade to a faster processor or overclock your current processor. Judging from your brand of processor, you can squeeze a little more out of your processor. Also check your fps settings.... FSX is default at 20 fps. If you have it at unlimited, then what was the maximum frame rate you have had?

In a busy airport like LAX, at low altitude, with the sliders almost all over to the right, (except autogen, on min) I get about 7-12 FPS with the plane in the view. Looking out the window it goes up to maybe 18-24.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I can see this getting a bit heated here gents 😳 , but i think a lot of people forget (i did), that you can adjust your graphics card settings and not just your flightsim settings! For example my AA has to be off in flightsim and yet on in my card to run at its best setting etc! So don't forget to configure your card and read what it can do and don't concentrate on the FS settings! (Although they are important).If that makes sense?

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

1.5gig sounds like it is not in dual channel mode. What is your memory configuration, timings, brands, etc..

The way the memory works will depend on how many programs you have running... I only have Vista using about 500mb if my available memory. Even with FSX running with all sliders on high, I do not see the mem usage rise above 1.1-1.3gigs

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

Guys, what welshflyer mentioned is of absolute importance!!! The best way to handle graphic card settings is keeping it on application default. Well I dont have an extraordinary GFX card(ATI Radeon 256mb x550 model) but trust me that improved my frames.

Cheers

Pro Member Trainee
Splitdog Trainee

Welshflyer wrote:

I can see this getting a bit heated here gents 😳 , but i think a lot of people forget (i did), that you can adjust your graphics card settings and not just your flightsim settings! For example my AA has to be off in flightsim and yet on in my card to run at its best setting etc! So don't forget to configure your card and read what it can do and don't concentrate on the FS settings! (Although they are important).If that makes sense?

What is 'AA'?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Splitdog wrote:

Welshflyer wrote:

What is 'AA'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Anti-Aliasing. It basically smoothens things out so no jaggies 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Splitdog wrote:

Welshflyer wrote:

What is 'AA'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing

Radar

lol we posted at the same time 😂

Pro Member Trainee
Splitdog Trainee

Wow. I was aware of it in digital audio, but I didnt think it applied in video! So, run one anti-aliasing or the other, but not both? Thanks again guys. 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have ATi also, set the AA as high as possible in the cards control panel and the AF should be about 16X.

http://www.flightsimulationforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1090&highlight=anti

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

Ya RM you're right on your part. It helps for me as well. But one thing no body realises is if you run any other game on the system, high AF and AA affects its performance. Thats why I keep it in ''application default'' mode.

Cheers

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...