A300 Pilots: Got a question for you regarding landing ILS...

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

When flying one of the A300 planes in FSX and after having reached the CRZ ALT, at what point do I start the decent process? I've seen in the tutorial, how it shows that I'm supposed to watch the little arrow in the ND. But I thought the ATC was supposed to essentially tell me to prepare for landing, which is easier.

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Are you using an addon? Is it payware? If you are using a payware addon, chances are it has a CDU that controls the FMC. This will work out your TOD (top of descent) and engaging VNAV (provided you have reset your altitude in the MCP to ILS interception altitude) will mean you automatically descend.

In the real world, they'll use a mixture of both. The PF (pilot flying) will have the descent profile but they'll need to obtain clearence from ATC to descend.

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Well, it's two paid addons: A340 and Airbus Deluxe Vol. 1.

I would rather utilize the auto descend.

You mentioned that I would auto descend provided I reset the altitude in the MCP to ILS - this means that I need to press the ILS button? At what point do I do this?

In the DC 10, I generally wait for the instructions from the ATC. When they say something like "turn left.. until established on localizer...". then I hit APP. And follow their instryuctions. I think the A300 planes go a little different.

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

In real life ATC will usually get you to the proper altitude to start the ILS (even in RL you have to remind them you want a descent sometimes) But pilots need to take it upon themselves to know when to start descending to start their approach. The normal generic altitude to start ILS is 2500 or 2000 AGL. Then you start your final descent to the runway once you intercept glideslope.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

If I'm not wrong, I read it somewhere on this forum. To calculate when to descend, you must multiply your Flight Level (in thousand's of feet) by 3 and add 10. This will give you the distance from your destination at which your descent is to start.
An example: I'm at FL360 and want to know at how many nautical miles from destination I must start descending. Therefore 36*3 + 10 = 118 nautical miles.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Heyjoojoo wrote:

Well, it's two paid addons: A340 and Airbus Deluxe Vol. 1.

I would rather utilize the auto descend.

You mentioned that I would auto descend provided I reset the altitude in the MCP to ILS - this means that I need to press the ILS button? At what point do I do this? Reset the altitude in the MCP to your ILS interception altitude which will be on the approach plate (use 2500ft as standard if you don't want to use plates). You don't press APP hold, or LOC until you are actually established on the localiser. You won't be established on the localiser until roughly 10nm away at 2800ft or less.

In the DC 10, I generally wait for the instructions from the ATC. When they say something like "turn left.. until established on localizer...". then I hit APP. And follow their instryuctions. I think the A300 planes go a little different. The last call from ATC in this regard is known as vectors to final, i.e. a heading that will allow you to intercept the localiser / glideslope.

Pro Member Trainee
jhcorsair Trainee

How about if you just disengage the Alt. hold, watch the glideslope indicator and fly it down yourself!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Here's a lovely guide using the default 737 in fs9:

(dead link removed)

😎

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...