I have the localizer, but glideslope is missing

I am doing the same things i did in fs2000, but I can't get the glideslope to light up ( I do have the localizer). The airport has it available, the freq is right, i set it to NAV and tried different altitudes, but no luck. I have even reinstalled and nothing. This is with the Lear 45 at Van Nuys 16R

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

It'd be very hard to guess what the problem is without seeing more... But if you're sure you're doing everything correct with Frequencies, NAV/GPS settings, etc, then the most likely explanation for capturing Localizer but not Glideslope is that you're coming in too fast on Approach. FS2004 is more sensitive to accuracy factors like this so on FS2004 if you come in too fast on approach you're ac will not capture Glideslope - which is true to life of most real ac.

The other reason could be that you are coming in ABOVE the Glideslope, in which case, although you're successfully getting the Localizer, you're too high to capture the Glideslope - have a try with a couple of these things - coming in slower and/or lower.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

You will only get a glide slope if the airport has ILS.Make sure you are not looking at a NDB approach frequency

To be more accurate, I am not even getting the glideslope to light up much less being able to capture it. I have tried low and slow, but nothing. The localizer is working fine along with the DME, but still no lighting up of the glideslope indicator....

Guest Ed Guest

Which airport/runway/ILS frequency/etc. are you flying?

Ed

PH Guest

Have you tried a different a/c at the same airport? Then if the problem persists try the lear at a different airport.

I am attempting the 16R approach at Van Nuys (VNY) in California near LAX. The NAV freq. I am using is 113.10 and I have tried it on both NAV 1 & 2. The a/c is the Lear 45. Dme is working fine and so is the localizer but I can't get the glideslope to light up, so obvisouly it will not engage. I have tried all of the same things on early versions of Flight Sim and had no problem, but even after reinstalling FS2004 is not working, (or it could be me...somehow)

Guest Ed Guest

The ILS frequency for 16R at Van Nuys is 111.30, not 113.10. Maybe you're seeing some other VOR on 113.10, but you won't see the glide slope for 16R.

Glad I could help. 😉

Ed

Pro Member Captain

Good call Guest Ed, nicely done!

Guest Ed Guest

Thanks, The GPS-Kid,

I went back to look at Van Nuys again this evening, and I see there is a VOR/DME at Van Nuys with frequency 113.10. But it's not the ILS.

An easy mistake; done it a few times myself.

Ed

PH Guest

I think this is a good lesson for everyone. Having done this a few times in the sim and for real it could, in IMC, be the end for you. Only advice-Tune Identify Test. (TIT!) The Identify part being the most important also helps you learn morse code!

Pro Member Captain

PH,

Good TIT advice - I'll have to remember that. 😂 😉

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

To the Guest,

16R approach at Van Nuys and capture the glideslope. Easy to get NAV numbers mixed up at times. I am on a mission starting in about 15 min. to go to that AP and see what's up with it and fly the approach too. All the tips given so far in this thread are likely scenerios but the simplest solution is usually the best and actually most probably the correct one according to occam's razor.

I was having issues capturing the glideslope elsewhere a while back. Tried the low and slow like you also. Then I was on approach and seeking the G.slope and just nosed down incrementally and then I would capture it and get the auto call @ intersection. --A few times I resorted to hitting the autoland selector at the last moment or two and the Boeing took over and put herself down without me. 🙂

-george.

Last edited by George (OrlandoGeorge) on Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:37 am, edited 3 times in total

Ed

Thanks a lot, you nailed that one. I had the wrong freq.

Got any tips on how I an get the darn thing to lockup on the gslope? Localizer not a problem, but can't seem to get the glideslope locked under AP.

Guest Ed Guest

Guest,

Come in BELOW the glideslope with "NAV" engaged, at about 2500 feet AGL. Keep the speed down-- if you're too fast, you'll fly right by the glideslope. You should already be ready to land, flaps down, gear down, landing lights on, what ever it takes. When then glideslope indicator is near center (within one mark on the indicator), click "APP" (for Approach). The AP should capture the glideslope and take you right down. Watch your speed on the way down-- I usually disengage Autothrottle before I capture the slope, so I can control the throttle and don't accelerate too much on the descent. I usually leave AP on until I cross the Inner Marker or the runway threshold, then disengage and land. Probably not strictly by the book but it works for me.

Piece o' cake. 😀

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...