FSX or FS2004?

Pro Member First Officer
walesdragon First Officer

FSX or FS2004. Which is better? I reckon i would really enjoy FSX if i had a really good comp. But i don't so.... I think FS2004 wins. For me that is. What about you?

Answers 21 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

It really does depend. You can make FS2004 look better than FSX in some cases, and you need a computer that is not as good 😉 Have a look in the FS2004 screenshot forums and look at people like Fatall, E-Mage, bawls327 and many others. They have shots that are awesome. Then look at the FSX screenshot forum. The graphics aren't as good in FSX compared to some FS2004 pictures. So really, it depends on what add-ons etc you have. I prefer FS2004 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Same here. My computer won't handle FSX so I stay with Flight Simulator 2004(FS9). I read of all the problems with FSX and I don't want to bother. My FS9 works great, has tons of add ons and I don't need the eye candy of FSX. I will get FSX or FSXI one day but for now I am enjoying trouble free flying with FS9.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

Same here. My computer won't handle FSX so I stay with Flight Simulator 2004(FS9). I read of all the problems with FSX and I don't want to bother. My FS9 works great, has tons of add ons and I don't need the eye candy of FSX. I will get FSX or FSXI one day but for now I am enjoying trouble free flying with FS9.

Exactly 😉

Pro Member First Officer

I think that my computer fails so much that it can't run either properly. I recently installed fs2004 again. But it restarts just before it loads or in the middle of lying. This only happens sometimes though.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

FS9 everytime, the only thing that FSX has going for it is the water textures!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

FS9 everytime, the only thing that FSX has going for it is the water textures!

You can even download better textures for FS9 anyway 😀

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

FS9 Always !!!

I played FS9 then moved to FSX but i moved back to FS9 i just find it a lot better i did like the FSX water but i still like FS9 better the only other thing i liked in FSX was the Lock View Spot thats it. 😀 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

emerald_flag wrote:

so if i have fsx right now would you recommending me spending 15$ to buy fs2004?

I would say yes, why?
1. Has historical aircraft that didn't make it into FSX.
2. Runs great on most computers.
3. Has tons of add ons that may not be out for FSX, yet.
4. Part of the complete collection, if you're collecting.
5. It's only $15!
6. You'll need something to fly while you put up with all the errors of FSX.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

emerald_flag wrote:

ok ill probably purchase it

but am i going to be able to make the graphics look real with out having to purchase payware?

Absolutely! There are hundreds of freeware mesh and scenery files available for FS2004, just take a look here for a start http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.php

Pro Member Trainee
Zeemon Trainee

I look at it from the other way, I play FSX. Yes, it is a cpu killer, but there are lots of downloads to speed it up without taking the eye candy away. Right now I play with everything on highest except for bloom setting.

At the moment there are more mods for FS9, however offcourse there are more and more coming for X. I can say when PMDG releases their NGX/737 (anyone any idea when abouts this will be?) I'm complete 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

walesdragon wrote:

FSX or FS2004. Which is better? I reckon i would really enjoy FSX if i had a really good comp. But i don't so.... I think FS2004 wins. For me that is. What about you?

There have been and are many 'new' simmers who discovered the hobby courtesy of FSX, who, after much frustration have decided to spend a few bucks on fs9 instead of payware add-ons that are supposed to make FSX happen on their PCs or, even worse, waste hundreds on upgrading their hardware.

I don't think your question should be 'which is better' but : 'which is presently under my circumstances more enjoyable'.

If you're running a mediocre rig like most of us do, fs9 is the way to go. Even if you're flat broke, the available freeware for fs9 makes it a winner.

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

walesdragon wrote:

There have been and are many 'new' simmers who discovered the hobby courtesy of FSX, who, after much frustration have decided to spend a few bucks on fs9 instead of payware add-ons that are supposed to make FSX happen on their PCs or, even worse, waste hundreds on upgrading their hardware.

I don't think your question should be 'which is better' but : 'which is presently under my circumstances more enjoyable'.

If you're running a mediocre rig like most of us do, fs9 is the way to go. Even if you're flat broke, the available freeware for fs9 makes it a winner.

ab-so-flippin-lutely. i started with fsx, and bought fs-9 for the free downloads and the cheap price. the fact that it runs so well is a bonus

Pro Member First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

walesdragon wrote:

But isn't something better if you enjoy it more?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

walesdragon wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

walesdragon wrote:

But isn't something better if you enjoy it more?

Absolutely not. Addicts believe most of the time that they enjoy whatever they're addicted to.
...so, regarding the topic, according to your rig's specs you can really enjoy fs9 NOW. By the time you upgrade or get a new PC, FS11 will probably be out and you'll be stuck back in the same dilemma.

Look at it this way, most folks would say that a Ferrari is better than a Fiat. But is it realistic for the average person to waste all that dough on a Ferrari when they can't use it to take the kids to school or take the Missus to do the grocery shopping 😳

Enjoy fs9 😀

Pro Member First Officer

Better can be seen in different ways. Speed wise, the ferrari is better. Also, why wouldn't the average person be able to take their kids to school in a ferrari?

And by your comments, you believe that FSX is better? Yes?

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I'd like to see someone take their kids to school in a Ferrari 😀 , it's only got two seats 😳 ! And if you're car sharing........... 😀 .
Personally i'd prefer an Aston Martin 😀 Drool

, what was the thread again?

Pro Member First Officer

I'd Like a simpler car. THE FORD XR8 or the MAZDA RX8.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

The Aston Martin is nice but THIS is a real car
Yes

The beautiful Pagani Zonda Drool 😁

Pro Member First Officer

Ok, ok. All those cars look nice. But here is the master piece. My dream car.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

walesdragon wrote:

Ok, ok. All those cars look nice. But here is the master piece. My dream car.

.......Does, does......DOES THAT EVEN RUN 😳

Pro Member First Officer

😀 Its not mine, i just found it on teh web. You guys know that i'm joking... right? >_>

Awesome cars that i NEED.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...