Abacus - FS Repaint V2

Pro Member Trainee
Chuck (chuck72) Trainee

I don' t understand this software at all...To me its not easy in anyway..Maybe i m missing something...But I cant get it to work...I mean the software runs...its just to do the actual paint job is a mission...I have no clue...I click on he wand and then things ae highlighted...i click to use the pain to fill in parts of the plane and then whole the plane changes color...I need Help Please

Chuck

PS. If you know of a better re paint program let me know please...

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You could try a free ware program that is gaining in popularity. One of our members uses it and has posted some of his pics in the Repaint Forum... just can't find his posts atm.

http://www.getpaint.net/

As you can see there are tutorials as well.

Needless to say that there are plenty of payware graphics editors such as Photoshop and PSP.

I don't know about this latest version of the Abacus program but the previous one had problems with NVIDIA cards.
You'll also have to keep in mind that you're dealing with different file formats depending whether you're painting for FSX or for FS9.

Welcome to the forums Chuck 🍻

Pro Member Trainee
Chuck (chuck72) Trainee

thanks man i will try this out...thanks for the welcome to post as well.

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Hi Chuck Welcome to FlyAway.

Well FSRepaint is a lil easyer than Photoshop and yes you can also use the freeware software Tailhook said about but i would have a lil talk to Col7777 he is the main FS2004 Repainter and yes uses FSRpaint V2

I also use it and took me around 2weeks to understand it but you can have a lil chat to Col or look at the manual witch if you go onto FSRepaint there should be a lil pic of a brownbook just near where you make it day or night.

Read that and it should explane everything you need to know about useing FSRepaint V2.

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

Is it easy to use FS Repaint to do it for FSX planes, because the files are totally different from FS9?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

n7xlq1 wrote:

Is it easy to use FS Repaint to do it for FSX planes, because the files are totally different from FS9?

Seeing that the current FS Repaint is a new version I really couldn't tell you whether it accommodates .dds file format without looking through their manual.

I hope I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but this is a brief explanation.

FSX is the first MSFS version that uses .dds format for textures. Previous versions used .bmp often referred to as Bitmaps.

Note: .bmp is ALSO compatible with FSX. However, .dds is not compatible with previous versions of MSFS.

If you open a texture folder of one of your DEFAULT FSX aircraft, you'll find .dds files, because they were put there by Microsoft.
Most freeware add-on aircraft will still have .bmp files in their texture folders, because they most likely originated prior to the publication of FSX.

If you intend to repaint an aircraft that still uses .bmp you'll have no problems using your usual techniques with your favorite graphics editor since the .bmp format is compatible with both, FS9 and FSX.

On the other hand, if you wish to repaint a default FSX aircraft for example, you will need a plug-in because now you're working with .dds format.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

NOTE: Just because it's called 'NVIDIA' doesn't mean that you need a NVIDIA card to be able to use it.

Regarding 'Adobe Photoshop' well, obviously the plug-in will work with PS... whether it works with other editors I can't tell you.

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

Know why they changed it to .dds?

Pro Member Trainee
BatmanYZFr1 Trainee

V2 so far works ok, but...
Looking at other repaints, I can still see the rivets and the lines from the different metal sheets to make the planes' exteriors. I love that look, its authentic. When I repaint, the color, reflection, etc looks good but I lose the "constructed" look. I cant find anything to change the transparency or opacity of my added textures to try and let the rivets show.

I hope I dont have to do it the hard way and make another template by selecting each rivet Crying or Very sad

any help would be great.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

warlord40 wrote:

Know why they changed it to .dds?

If memory serves it is basically an improvement over the previous .bmp format. Now whether this improvement is supposed to be of a visual or other nature I can't recall.

The Microsoft DirectDraw Surface (DDS) file format is used to store textures and cubic environment maps, both with and without mipmap levels. This format can store uncompressed and compressed pixel formats, and is the preferred file format for storing DXTn compressed data. This file format is supported by the Microsoft DirectX Texture tool (DXTex Tool), as well as some third party tools, and by the Direct3D extensions (D3DX) library.

If this makes any sense to you, I will have succeeded in answering your question. If not, then (and I absolutely hate to say this) go and enter the labyrinth of Microsoft's tech talk nonsense and drive yourself mad 😀

But wait, one of our on-site texture artists with clairvoyant abilities might be able to translate Microsoft's intentions into a language fit for us mere mortals... Help!

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

So basicaly it just helps directx run quicker...cool. Thanks Tailhook! 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...