Difficult airport

Pro Member Trainee
Nineball Trainee

I just found a very difficult airport: Courchevel, France (LFLJ). The altitude is over 6000 ft, and the runway is only about 1700 feet long. To make matters worse, there are a bunch of trees right at the end of the runway in one direction, and a mountain in the other. Take your pick.

Answers 47 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

The FS representation is awful, it's actually one of the most stunning runways in the world with a very steep gradient!

http://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/0808682/L/

Pro Member Trainee
Josue (90josue03) Trainee

That's a rare one, I can't believe it goes up a hill. Just crazy!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Nineball wrote:

I just found a very difficult airport: Courchevel, France (LFLJ). The altitude is over 6000 ft, and the runway is only about 1700 feet long. To make matters worse, there are a bunch of trees right at the end of the runway in one direction, and a mountain in the other. Take your pick.

So what did you do? I just used the default Cessna. At full throttle left rudder toward the end of the runway and you just miss the trees on the right -- and the scenery looks great in winter 😎

Landing from either end is a different story though... I quit 😁

Pro Member First Officer
walesdragon First Officer

hinch wrote:

The FS representation is awful, it's actually one of the most stunning runways in the world with a very steep gradient!

OMFG! That is not a real used runway is it? Because if that is.... wait, no. No way.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

walesdragon wrote:

hinch wrote:

OMFG! That is not a real used runway is it? Because if that is.... wait, no. No way.

Do these answer your question 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Anyone who would use that runway is insane.

I tried it with an A319... ALMOST made it over the treeline on takeoff hahahaha.

Pro Member First Officer

[quote="Cheeks"]

walesdragon wrote:

hinch wrote:

Do these answer your question 😀

So whats the death toll?

Pro Member First Officer

But still, stupid design. Not safe.

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

Easy takeoff....just release the hand brake....thats all there is to it!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

That's right... in any chopper ROFL

Pro Member First Officer

lol!!! just remind me not to fly wit u!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You don't know what your missing out on Fear

Pro Member First Officer

yeah well maybe when i'm 101 years old and got nothing else to live for

Pro Member First Officer
William A. Jones (waj2306) First Officer

I'll try my 747SP.....be right back!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

...yeah rrrright --- can't wait to see the pics 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

warlord40 wrote:

lol!!! just remind me not to fly wit u!

w0t lol Read

Don't start

Pro Member First Officer

You can't be serious!!! Tailhook I take back what i said...I will not fly with waj2306!!!

Pro Member First Officer

OK....Full Flaps, 10% Fuel, N1 at 104.6...

The ship shook, released PB, V2 was at approx 150, wheels up at 1650-so feet.

I cut the trees about 1/2 way up.

IT DID TAKE OFF!

I uesed the MYTHBUSTERS 747SP that I downloaded from Flightsim I believe.

What a hoot!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

...nonono wait a minute - I can smell a rat...

You say you 'cut the trees about 1/2 way up'... meaning? Tore off the bogeys and damaged the gear bay? ...c'mon, that doesn't count - NO CHEATING!!! 😀

Pro Member First Officer

No no...I think he meant, the trees cut 'him' half way up

p.s. screen shots are DEMANDED!!!!

Last edited by Luke (warlord40) on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer

I believe in honesty....It did cut the trees about half way up. But I turned off the crash/damage mode. I would have to had pull 30+ nose up attitude to clear it at all. And we all know a 747SP could NEVER do that. But the rollout and transition was fun! It was great fun though!

I think I will rebiuld the AP. Like remove the trees!!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

warlord40 wrote:

You can't be serious!!! Tailhook I take back what i said...I will not fly with waj2306!!!

...so you do want a ride in a chopper now

I've got a free seat 🤔 or should I say : Bed on my Bell 47... seeing that my secretary is riding in the right seat Whistle

You do have a choice of berths though... left... or... right... Devil

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

waj2306 wrote:

And we all know a 747SP could NEVER do that.

You'd be surprised just WHAT you can do in a 747SP... here's me taking off from a carrier:

Whistle

Yeah, chop off the trees and make the rwy just a little longer, that's a great area to fly around in small a/c. In case you're really thinking of doing that, share your creation... a man likes a thrill 😀

Pro Member First Officer

After removing the trees, it does just fine! Although the question is....CAN I LAND IT THERE AND NOT HAVE TO STOP IN THE NEXT COUNTRY?

(If I cut throttles, depoly full flaps and speed brakes, then run up reversers at 500ft alt, between the middle and inner marker....it might just work!)

If this works I'll try my A380 tomorrow!

Bill

Pro Member First Officer

waj2306 wrote:

I would have to had pull 30+ nose up attitude to clear it at all.

Give it a go!!!

Pro Member First Officer

TAILHOOK....That is the kind of challenge I love!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

waj2306 wrote:

And we all know a 747SP could NEVER do that.

You'd be surprised just WHAT you can do in a 747SP... here's me taking off from a carrier:

Whistle

Yeah, chop off the trees and make the rwy just a little longer, that's a great area to fly around in small a/c. In case you're really thinking of doing that, share your creation... a man likes a thrill 😀

It took me 5 seconds ( I was counting Embarassed ) to do a take-off roll in the SP and it took me about 20 seconds to get to 10,000ft and within 1 minute and 15 seconds I was about 30,000ft. This was achieved with no payload (except pilots) and 5000 gallons of fuel. Its amazingly overpowered and has a huge wingspan compared to fuselage length. My favourite aircraft ever 😀

Pro Member First Officer

waj2306 wrote:

If this works I'll try my A380 tomorrow!

haha famous last words!!!

Pro Member First Officer

I would love to share this with ya'll...BUT..I have not researched how to best capture and then upload things like this.

I guess I need some firm advise on software and such.

By the way! I rebuilt KADW for Air Force One, and found an AFCAD with the proper AF1 hanar. When I finished, I was playing around and hardened the roof, and flew the default Cesna 172 on and off of it.

I love this stuf!

Everything in life must be a challenge, our you vegitate and die!

Pro Member First Officer

OK..as for the proposed landing....I attempted it.....ever hear the term "TERMINAL VELOCITY"? The ship dropped like that about!

I WILL PREVAIL!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

waj2306 wrote:

After removing the trees, it does just fine! Although the question is....CAN I LAND IT THERE AND NOT HAVE TO STOP IN THE NEXT COUNTRY?
Bill

This is interesting... forget about the 747, yesterday I tried ANY a/c to land (except choppers of course), now I know, even with chopped off trees I probably would fail in a Cessna. But coming in from the end of the trees we might be able to do it in a WW2 prop due to the availability of 'dive brakes'. I'd like to try that.
Coming in from the other side, opposite the trees still looks a bit suicidal, I'll give it another try.

Pro Member First Officer

not sure with fs9, but with fsx while flying you push 'v' to capture an image.
With http://www.photobucket.com you are able to upload your image,once uploaded, scroll to your image, copy the IMG code - and paste it here on your post

Pro Member First Officer

How do you add the video to this thread?

I downloaded FRAPS and videoed the TAKEOFF....[/list][/code]

Pro Member First Officer

wont work for vid only pics, but you could put it on youtube, and paste the link.

Pro Member First Officer

OK...I figured out how to upload on YouTube. It is taking forever!

I will post the link in a new thread as soon as I can.

Thanks for the assist!

WILD BIL!

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Hey watch this Vid:

The first airport the prop plane takes off from looks a lil funny.

Pro Member First Officer

Morris91,
I hope to get good enough to make a video like that.
Thanks

Bill

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

i've tried this airport in fs9 and fsx. for me, in fs9, it's impossible to clear those trees at the end of the runway on take-off, but some judicious use of the rudder in a 172 and i can get in and out. i did manage to clear the trees in the christen eagle 2, but landing it i had to stand on the brakes.

in fsx, the trees are much more manageable (and the scenery looks waaaayyy better) and i was able to land a 172 and a 208 but i could not safely take off in the 208. i did pretty well with the 337 and if i was going to fly there regularly i would probably use that. i did manage to land the atr 48-350 because of the rediculously overpowered prop reverser, but i couldn't take off no matter how hard i tried. man, that's a hard one! but now that i have racked my brain trying to master it i think i'll go back in a mustang and do some sight seeing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

cheezyflier wrote:

i've tried this airport in fs9 and fsx. for me, in fs9, it's impossible to clear those trees at the end of the runway on take-off, but some judicious use of the rudder in a 172 and i can get in and out. i did manage to clear the trees in the christen eagle 2, but landing it i had to stand on the brakes.

in fsx, the trees are much more manageable (and the scenery looks waaaayyy better) and i was able to land a 172 and a 208 but i could not safely take off in the 208. i did pretty well with the 337 and if i was going to fly there regularly i would probably use that. i did manage to land the atr 48-350 because of the rediculously overpowered prop reverser, but i couldn't take off no matter how hard i tried. man, that's a hard one! but now that i have racked my brain trying to master it i think i'll go back in a mustang and do some sight seeing.

Try a Dash-7 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

Dash-7 it is!

Pro Member First Officer

Cheeks,

I downloaded a fantastic Dash-7, Canadian Recon.

I failed to clear the trees with 10% fuel, o weight, flaps at 45 and a lot of confidence!

To say FAILED is putting it mildly!

But, thanks for turning me on to this Dash-7! I'm going to spend some time flying it from Key West to Miami and the Islands. I have not been a Prop man till now. Looks like a great time ahead.

Thanks

Bill

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

waj2306 wrote:

Cheeks,

I downloaded a fantastic Dash-7, Canadian Recon.

I failed to clear the trees with 10% fuel, o weight, flaps at 45 and a lot of confidence!

To say FAILED is putting it mildly!

But, thanks for turning me on to this Dash-7! I'm going to spend some time flying it from Key West to Miami and the Islands. I have not been a Prop man till now. Looks like a great time ahead.

Thanks

Bill

Hmm, very weird, if you still want to try it, have a go at Milton Shupes Dash-7. I use the Tyrolean livery and made it out fine. Held the power though. The FDE's are really good on his Dash-7 and the panel is very good 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Cheeks wrote:

The FDE's are really good on his Dash-7 ...

...it does mention STOL in the Readme Idea

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Cheeks wrote:

To be honest, I rarely read the read-me's 😳

Pro Member First Officer

LOL. I DEMANDS SCREENS FROM WAJ2306. Also, after being at Pixel Tendo and arguing with the pathetic inhabitants that dwell within it, I have realized how awesome you guys are. I loves you alllllll1!!!!! =D Damn, i think thats the gayest thing that i have ever said. But sill. You guys are awesome.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Cheeks wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Cheeks wrote:

To be honest, I rarely read the read-me's 😳

...it's actually in the file description:

"..great STOL flight dynamics tested by 7 real world pilots."

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

...it's actually in the file description:

"..great STOL flight dynamics, fortified with 8 essential vitamins, part of a nutritious breakfast"

😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...