Visual Flight Path: Remove Red Boxes

Pro Member Trainee
erboothe Trainee

Is there any way to remove the red boxes in the visual flight path permananetly. I can delete them for one flight by unchecking the visual flight path box under Aircraft but they are back on the next flight. I do not like to use them, as it decreases the realism of the landing.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I never have the visual flight path (VFP) up and would have to select it for use. You must be saving your flights. When you save the flight, with something selected on the VFP, it must be saving the setting also. Turn it off and create a new flight and it should be off.

Pro Member Trainee
erboothe Trainee

CRJCapt wrote:

I never have the visual flight path (VFP) up and would have to select it for use. You must be saving your flights. When you save the flight, with something selected on the VFP, it must be saving the setting also. Turn it off and create a new flight and it should be off.

The flight paths are on Flight Deck 5. All of the carrier landings have the VFP and I have to manually turn them off every time I use one of them. I find them to be more distracting than useful.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

erboothe wrote:

The flight paths are on Flight Deck 5.

You didn't say this was about Flight Deck 5, I don't have it so I can't help, maybe someone with your program will check in.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

erboothe wrote:

Is there any way to remove the red boxes in the visual flight path permananetly. I can delete them for one flight by unchecking the visual flight path box under Aircraft but they are back on the next flight. I do not like to use them, as it decreases the realism of the landing.

I have FD5 installed in fs9 - just double checked and actually managed to trap the Hawkeye 😳

Ok, first I don't understand what you mean by "unchecking the visual flight path box under Aircraft" -- are we talking 'CREATE A FLIGHT' or 'SELECT A FLIGHT'? I've looked everywhere including the Settings but can't find that little box. I tell you why I'm asking.

I used to have the "lined up in boxes for approach" as Abacus calls it AND the IFOLS... I remember that clearly because it seemed so cool after FD4 which did NOT have it. I soon came to the same conclusion as you that the boxes where more of a hindrance than anything else and so was the IFOLS. I can't remember what I did... but bear with me.

As mentioned above, I just did a 'Landing' flight (from the Select a Flight menu). As you know, as soon as you've loaded the flight, your in the air, gear down and flaps at a certain position and the engines are roaring like mad.
Now by default, the IFOLS should already be somewhere to the left of my screen and as I come closer to the carrier, the annoying red boxes should appear.
Well there was nothing, not even the IFOLS. To make the IFOLS appear I clicked the up-arrow icon on the aircraft's instrument panel, but Nothing happened - obviously I tried it several times. Next I did the Shift+5 and the IFOLS popped up. This made me think that once I get closer to the carrier, the red boxes will appear, but they did not. In other words, even if I wanted the boxes now, I have no idea how to activate them.
So obviously, if I don't know how to activate them, I don't know how to switch them off. Sorry about that... not all is lost though. I have two basic suggestions, my preferred one is to use 3rd party aircraft instead of the Abacus ones in which case you wouldn't get the red boxes or the IFOLS. I personally find the Abacus a/c inferior in every way to the 3rd party a/c, yes, that includes freeware a/c that's why I never fly them.

If however you prefer to stick to the Abacus a/c you have two options: Instead of selecting a 'landing' flight, select a 'launch' flight, fly an airport pattern and then land back on the carrier. It's much more fun because immediately after launch you'll be retracting the gear and gradually the flaps and now you're properly hand-flying and have full control. You decide how far away from the carrier you want to get to make the approach, not Abacus.
Then of course YOU decide when to extend flaps, landing gear and tailhook.
I'm not insinuating that you're lacking the necessary skills but in case you're more comfortable to take off in a normal manner from an airport instead of being launched off the carrier, just pull up the map prior to your flight and take off from the nearest land based airport to the carrier, work out an approximate flight path and sneak up on it from its 6 o'clock for your recovery.

In case you're wondering about 3rd party a/c suitable for your COPS, there's plenty to choose from - F-14s in particular. If you want to try something a bit slower you can't go past the Vought Corsair F4U7 - it even comes with a second panel adapted for COPS. There's a lil screenie in this thread: https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/32075/flight-deck-5-review/ , the last pic in the series, it has wingfold and startup smoke just like the Skyraider above it. Above the Skyraider the A-10 Warthog is the only one which isn't used for COPS, I just put it there for eye candy.

Let us know how you're getting on 😀

Pro Member Trainee
erboothe Trainee

]

I have FD5 installed in fs9 - just double checked and actually managed to trap the Hawkeye 😳

When I go to Choose a Catagory, and select Flight Deck 5, then under Choose a flight, select any carrier landing for the F/A-18, it comes up every time with the red boxes.

If I press ALT on the keyboard and the menu appears at the top of the screen, I select AIRCRAFT, then VISUAL FLIGHT PATH, I get a banner with a box with a check mark in it, to the left of ENABLE VISUAL FLIGHT PATH, and the box always has a check mark in it. If I click on the check mark it goes away, and when I go back to the landing the boxes are no longer visible. The only problem is, if I crash, as I do frequently, and it resets the flight back to the beginning, the red boxes are back and I have to go thru the above procedure again. Also the next time I go to a carrier landing the pesky red boxes are there.

I appreciate you interest in my problem and your assistance.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

This is what my VISUAL FLIGHT PATH interface looks like:

I cannot recall having changed any of these settings which doesn't necessarily mean I didn't.

You might want to try the same settings and see how you go.

I just did the following experiment:

I unchecked the little box, clicked OK and selected one of the 'Landing' flights as above. As previously, I was able to call up the IFOLS but not the Visual Flight Path. I purposely crashed on the carrier, set up exactly the same flight again, paused and had a look at the VFP window... and as in your case, the little red check mark had put itself back into the box.

This time I did NOT uncheck the box, set the same flight up yet again and there was no change at all compared to the previous flights.

I'm curious what the value in your 'Feet MSL' box is... is it 0 like in mine?

BTW, I have crash and damage detection enabled (by default it is disabled) -- I have no idea whether there could be a connection and it will make a difference, but you might as well try.

Pro Member Trainee
erboothe Trainee

[quote="Tailhook"]This is what my VISUAL FLIGHT PATH interface looks like:

That is exactly the way mine is set. The MSL is set to zero. I tried setting the MSL to 10,000 thinking that would maybe get rid of them, but they are exactly the same as it was when set to zero.

I tried what you said about doing the launch, then coming around and doing the landing, and did not have the problem with the boxes. Also it is more challanging to go thru the launch, flaps up, gear up and then setting up for landing, instead of having it set up for you, so I guess I stick with that.

Thanks again for the help.

Pro Member Trainee
erboothe Trainee

[quote="Tailhook"]This is what my VISUAL FLIGHT PATH interface looks like:

PS: I notice you have a Cuban flag at the bottom of your message. I live on Las Canas Circle in Brownsville, TX, and decided to research the meaning of Las Canas, and found it was a small village on the Southwest side of Cuba and that the subdivision I live in was buitl by a Cuban. I went to google earth and took a look at Las Canas. It is right on the beach. It looked real peaceful. Almost wanted to go there for a visit. Maybe that will be possible someday.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...