climbs

crosscheck9 Guest

Hi,
I have a quick question if you dont mind. You know how when your climbing, after 10,000ft AGL, your supposed to reduce the climb rate to accelrate to your cruise speed, well, lets say ur in the default 777 or 737, what should your new climb rate be to accelerate.

Thanks

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hi Crosscheck,

I'm sure someone who uses the default 777 will come on and advise you the exact rate of climb you're asking but I'd say in general that part of the learning is realising the limitations of each plane that you fly.

I'm sure you'll be aware that all planes have stall speeds, that is, the speed where the aircraft is no longer going fast enough for the wings to generate lift to make flight possible.

The rate of climb must as you say be controlled in order to climb safely to your target altitude. The nature of aircraft is that the higher the altitude, the gentler the rate of climb required, in order to avoid losing airspeed and possibly stalling.

A great way to test this is to load up a plane, find out it's clean stall speed (The speed it will stall with NO flaps), take-off and start climbing....

Now aim to keep the speed at this stall speed + 30knts....

You'll find that the higher you are, the more you'll have to reduce your rate of climb (Vertical Speed) in order to maintain that target Airspeed.

This is the best way to "Stay on top of your" rate of climb.... monitor the plane's Airspeed and use that as your guide for your rate of climb (aka. Vertical Speed).

If the Aircraft's Airspeed starts accelerating to high speeds, increase the Vertical Speed rate, if it starts decelerating towards too low a speed, reduce the rate.

PH Guest

A normal TO would mean at 1500ft AGL you would lower the nose to accelerate to 250kts retracting the flaps on schedule then accelerating at this speed to 10k then depending on what the FMC says climb at the speed it dictates. If you do not have an FMC then 315KIAS 777-300 (subject to weight cost index etc) for FS it will do nicely! As GPS suggests toy around with the plane and find it's envelope at different weights.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

As you climb higher your rate of climb will fall off. At 10,000' I climb around 3500 fpm, at around 20,000' it's down to 2000-2500 fpm. As I approach cruise alt----31000-39000' depending on distance and or weather I'm down to 1000-1200 fpw, less towards the higher 30s. Within a thousand feet of cruise alt I gradually reduce climb rate to 0 fpm at alt. Note; set your airspeed to 280-290 ktias and maintain that speed by slowly reduceing climb rate.

crosscheck9 Guest

Hi,
I would like to know how the heck you climb with a 777 at 3500 fpm. Isnt it a strain on thrust. According to the flight notes, a 777 must climb to 10000ft at 250 kts mainting 55% N1. I cant even do that, yet, because the least i can do it in is 69%. If you would please specify what aircraft your flying for it to make a little more sense, I would appreciate it. Thanks again

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Truthfully...as far as i know, and have tried, you don't. Initially, shoot for 2500FPM till 7,000. Reduce to 2200FPM through 12,000. Then cruise climb at 13-1700FPM to your cruise height. It all depends on the weight of the aircraft at that time.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

I was refering to the 737. I will say that out of the box,the FS '04s 777 is somewhat under powered. At 35000' it seemed to struggle to get to .8 or higher mach in level flight. It is supposed to cruise at .84 mach. I remmedied that problem by tinkering with the arcrft config files a little bit. If memory serves, I uped the engine thrust from 84,000 lbs. to 94,000 or 96,000 lbs. Some would think that is cheating, but in reality most of the 777s have 90,000+ lbs engines. The prototype engines were tested to 115,000 lbs thrust on the stand. I have read recently that they took one of their latest engines to 122,000lbs thrust, and they think they could get more out of it. Now my 777 can cruise at book figures and at altitude with with as much ease as the 737. I think I got it right because the N1 and N2 #s are about the same at book cruise as the 737s are at cruise.

PH Guest

Fly by number. Know the correct speeds for each phase of flight. Once you know these you will have a picture in your mind as to the correct pitch attitude and power settings to fly. Power and pitch will give correct ROC.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...