Lear Throttle Quadrant questions...

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Hi, just tried out the lear 45 on FSX, and have a few questions... On my CH Quadrant the default seems to be the throttle levers which makes sense, but for some reason the mixture now seems to cut off the engines rather than letting them spool up? It works fine but I need to ensure the mixture levers are forward for the enginges to run up. Is this indicitive of another function? ie: fuel levers or shut offs? Also to engage the thrust reversers I'm assuming that simply pulling my throttles past the idle detent on my CH throttle quadrant isn't expected to engage the reversers. Do you simply go into the controllers settings and assign a switch to take care of this? Any of you jet jocks out there can give me a few set up tips on what worked for you, or to make it more functional, I'd be grateful. Maybe buy you a nice cold one in the ol stick and rudder on the next lay over...

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Hehe, it took me a really long time to figure out why I couldn't start my engines in most jets, then I happened to bump the wheel that I have mapped to mixture on my x52... Embarassed

As far as I can tell, for some reason fs assigns your mixture axis to an imaginary fuel cutoff switch which isn't controlled by anything else. (No key command, button, knob, or lever in the cockpit.)

Not sure how you'd set up your throttle's calibration for thrust reversers! I imagine FS doesn't know about your idle detent and considers idle to be what you'd like to be full reverse thrust. Until you figure that out, use the reduce throttle button (F2) while you're at idle.

Pro Member First Officer

F2???
I have a spiffy Ch Throttle Quadrant. I'm sure I can assign the levers so I can engage reversers just like a real plane. Just wondering what FSX was doing with the mixture levers? If I leave them back, the turbine simply spools up then shut down continually... If I put them forward, the turbines run up and respond to throttle inputs. This also occurs in the air, if one pulls the mixture levers back the turbines will stall, I imaging the only thing restarting them is the start switches and auto relight engaged??

With the Throttle quadrant from CH, (something I'd highly recomend for any one wanting that extra step of realism) , you rarely need to touch the key board anymore during flight. With the six levers and six three way switches you've got most aircraft /keyboard functions covered. I actually had trouble assigning all the switches as there seem to be more switches than assigments unless you want to get into radios and all that stuff. I just wanted start up and such to be more realistic. All you really need to do is set it up for the specific needs of the aircraft you are flying. A bit tedious if you switch aircraft a lot, but not so bad when sticking with the same aircraft for a while. I recently set it up for the goose and everything like the floats, carb heat, starters, mags, etc were set up on switches. More real and better than the keyboard.

Pro Member First Officer

Hmm, Just thinking I might be able to use the redundant Throttle/Prop/Mixture levers on the CH Yoke for things like the Spoilers. Reverse and Flaps... That might be cool to use levers instead of the mouse or switches.... Twisted Evil

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

You can definitely map your extra axes to other functions... on my x52 I've got the slider set as spoilers, the small thumb wheel set as mixture, and the large wheel on top set as props.

Instead of changing your key commands in flight sim, didn't the throttle come with some kind of profile software? I've got all my buttons mapped to keystrokes instead of tied to FS, that way I can move stuff around just by loading a different profile.

I'm as lost as you about the reversers... if someone else knows a way to map them to an axis or set them up on your throttle axis please enlighten us! Maybe there's a .cfg file where you can edit your throttle's calibration settings... Set it so that your idle detent shows up as zero. F2 is how I engage them, and it works fine for me 😀

Pro Member First Officer

Yeah I might have jumped the gun there... I tried to find a key or command for the reversers, but it seems there isn't one, Hee,hee Embarassed
It would be nice to assign them to the Prop levers but there's nothing in the list of key assigments for reversers so it seems yo can't assign a new function for this to a switch or lever. I'm not sure the CH products allow for a profile, unless it's part of FSX??? Kinda new to this assigments thing but it sure makes for more fun. I'm finding the whole reverse thing kinda busy on the Lear as it's hard to select when you are rolling. By the time you look down, position the mouse, etc, you're in the cornfields. There's gotta be a better way. I'd love to use the Quadrant or the unused levers on the Yoke so I can keep visual on the runway. 🙄

Pro Member First Officer

Ha! I found a way to make the reverse thrust easier, I assigned one of the switches on the throttle quadrant to the F2 function for close throttle quickly. Now I can apply the reverse thrust with the switch and keep my eyes on the runway. Now if I can figure how to assign that to an unused lever on the Yoke, Way Cool! 😎

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...