FSX Acceleration Carrier Tutorial Takeoff

Pro Member Trainee
rossi85 Trainee

Does anyone know, who can help me with taking off on the aircraft carrier using the catapult please ?

Could someone please post "THE IDIOTS GUIDE", as I have tried so many times with the instructions given on the tutorial.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Not sure if I remember correctly but isn't there a carrier mission in the Acceleration pack.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Double check your key commands, if ya didn't accept that option when acceleration installed then you won't be able to use any of the launch related stuff. Pretty much do exactly as the guy says...

Where are you having problems?

Pro Member Trainee
rossi85 Trainee

The plate at the back of the jet that is supposed to rise doesnt and how do you know when you are locked into the correct position.

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

Alright, here is the actual instructions 🙄

Get your front wheel in the red and white box.

Press Shift + U to put the launch bar down.
Press Shift + I to attach to the catapult.
Pull stick back, push forward, and make sure all of the control surfaces are working. (Test the controls basically)
Advance throttle to full afterburner or full military, its your choice.
Pull stick all the way back.
Press Shift + Spacebar to launch.
Slowly lower how much you have pulled back on the stick the farther you have gotten on the cat shot. (If you want...)
After you have confirmed climbing you can put the gear up.

I hope this helps.

Pro Member Trainee
rossi85 Trainee

When I put the full after burners on, am I meant to be in one place or will I move. I was under the impression that I full throttle and am stook in one position til I hit shift and space bar

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

Yes, you should be stationary..

Make sure you have this

Pro Member Trainee
rossi85 Trainee

Thanks to you all. Thanks to you guys, I have sucessfully done it. Thanks

TommyBoy77 Guest

Having trouble getting the launch barrier behind the F18 to raise. Have tried Control + U and it doesn't move. I think I need to set the key command to do this but don't know what the actual launch barrier is called in the key menu. Help please?

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

The Launch Bar extends out in front of the front wheel gear on the F/A-18. Given you have your front wheel on the Red/White stripe box then press shift[U] - it will extend and connect to the catapult - then you press shift[I] the catapult is prepared. Full throttle then press shift[spacebar] to trigger the catapult.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there! I'd be happy to help you with your aircraft carrier takeoff using the catapult in FSX Acceleration. No worries, I'll try to break it down into a simple step-by-step guide to make things easier for you.

Step 1: Aircraft Selection
First, make sure you select an aircraft that is carrier-capable. In FSX Acceleration, the default carrier-capable aircraft is the F/A-18 Hornet. This aircraft has tailhook and folding wings, which are essential for carrier operations.

Step 2: Positioning on the Carrier
In the Free Flight menu, set your starting location as the USS Nimitz or USS Eisenhower. This will spawn you on the carrier deck. Taxi your aircraft to the catapult area (usually the front part of the carrier). It's essential to line up your aircraft's nose wheel with the catapult shuttle.

Step 3: Attach to the Catapult
Once you are properly lined up, press Shift + U to attach the aircraft to the catapult shuttle. You should receive a message confirming the attachment, and you may notice your aircraft being slightly pulled back.

Step 4: Set Flaps and Trim
To prepare for the launch, set your flaps to the takeoff position (usually, one or two notches down). This will help generate lift during the takeoff. Additionally, set your trim to around +2 or +3 degrees to facilitate rotation during the launch.

Step 5: Increase Throttle
Now, increase your throttle to full power. Make sure your parking brakes are disengaged, and your tailhook is retracted (default keybinding: Shift + T).

Step 6: Launch!
Once you're at full power, press Shift + Space to initiate the catapult launch. You will experience a sudden burst of acceleration, which will propel your aircraft forward. As you reach the end of the carrier, gently pull back on the joystick or yoke to lift off into the air.

Step 7: Retract Gear and Flaps
After establishing a positive rate of climb, retract your landing gear (default keybinding: G) and your flaps (default keybinding: F6) to increase your speed and reduce drag.

That's it! You've successfully completed an aircraft carrier takeoff using the catapult in FSX Acceleration. Remember, practice makes perfect, so keep trying until you become more comfortable with the procedure. I hope this "Idiot's Guide" helps you out! If you need any further assistance or clarification, feel free to ask. Good luck and happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...