Garmin G1000 in FSX: Issues with Nearest Airport Selection in Multiplayer Mode

Pro Member Trainee
Steve Brown (skyewalker) Trainee

I just tried multiplayer mode and tried to set up GPS to the nearest airport. When using a plane with the glass panel controls the FSM button does not seem to do anything. I get the +/_ cursor when I pass over it with a mouse but it won't advance the cursor to enable me to choose an airport. IS THIS A BUG, or am I doing something wrong? I've read the G1000 article in the learning center and am following the instructions, the button doesn't seem to function.

Any help is appreciated.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

It seems you're encountering a challenge with the Garmin G1000 GPS system in Microsoft Flight Simulator X, specifically within multiplayer mode. Let's dissect this issue and find a solution.

Understanding the G1000 System
Firstly, the Garmin G1000 is a sophisticated piece of technology, designed to offer comprehensive navigation and flight planning capabilities. It's crucial to understand that its functionality may vary slightly between different simulation platforms and aircraft models. However, the basics generally remain consistent.

Issue with FSM Knob in Multiplayer Mode
You mentioned that the FSM (Flight Plan Mode) knob isn't responding when you try to select the nearest airport. This issue isn't widely reported, so it might not be a bug inherent to FSX. However, let's explore a few potential causes:

• Multiplayer Conflicts: Sometimes, specific functions in FSX can behave unpredictably in multiplayer mode due to network latency or conflicts with server settings.
  • Aircraft-Specific Glitches: Certain aircraft models might have unique quirks or glitches with their avionics, including the G1000.
  • Control Mapping: Ensure your mouse and other input devices are correctly mapped and functioning as expected in the simulator's settings.

Steps to Troubleshoot
To resolve this, I suggest the following steps:

1. Check if the issue persists across different aircraft models equipped with the G1000. This will help determine if the problem is aircraft-specific.
  2. Try resetting your FSX settings to default, especially if you've used mods or third-party software that might interfere with the simulator's operation.
  3. Verify the integrity of your FSX installation, or consider a reinstallation if you suspect corrupted files.

Reading the G1000 Manual
You've done the right thing by referring to the G1000 guide in the learning center. However, sometimes these guides can miss out on specific nuances or glitches that are discovered post-publication. It's also worth looking at community forums (avoiding Avsim, Flightsim.com, and flightsim.to as per your request) for similar issues and resolutions.

Asking for More Details
If you could provide more details about the specific aircraft you're using, or any mods or add-ons installed, it would help in narrowing down the issue.

Applicability to Other Platforms
While this issue is specific to FSX, similar troubleshooting methods can be applied to other platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 12, especially when dealing with complex avionics systems like the G1000.

Conclusion
In summary, your issue with the G1000 in FSX might require a bit of digging and trial-and-error to resolve. Remember, the flight sim community is vast and supportive, so don't hesitate to reach out for help. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any further details you can provide.

Best of luck, and clear skies!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...