Spitfire Anyone ??

Pro Member Trainee
hasselerd Trainee

Need some help as new to flying Spits. Does anyone know why, about 10 mins into the flight, black smoke comes billowing from the engine, there's a big flash, loud bang and the engine cuts out leaving me to glide down to earth with a bang.... There's nothing set in the "Failiers" and reading through the manual it says nothing about this. Is there something at the start of my flight to do with engine Power, fuel mix etc etc that I'm not doing that is causing this as I would like to do a bit more than fly for 10mins then crash 😞

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

Ah running outta fuel?

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

Well, it is called a Spitfire... 😂

Bad joke, I know. Sorry.

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Cowl flaps open? Leaning your mixture properly? Look around the cockpit, keep an eye on any temperature gauges you see.

Edit-- Not familiar with the spitfire, but another thing to consider is RPM... make sure you're not overspeeding the engine!

Pro Member Trainee
Chris (chrisjoi) Trainee

I have the same thing happen when I fly the Mustangs in FSX Acceleration. Seems to happen very quickly, less than 10 minutes. Must be overheating.

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

It is overheating, those old engines can't stand very much.

Traches wrote:

Look around the cockpit, keep an eye on any temperature gauges you see.

Pro Member Trainee
Chris (chrisjoi) Trainee

I did a little research and found a good checklist for the P51. Since many Sptifires use the same Rolls Royce Merlin Engine it should work well for the Spitfire.

http://www.aerofiles.com/checklist-p51.html

Of note are the Oil and Coolant temps as well as Manifold Pressure (MP) and RPM's during climb and cruise.

Hope this helps!

Pro Member First Officer
zakk hutton (chez64) First Officer

have you got "detect engine stress" turned on? or "engine stress causes damage"? turn them off unrealistic i know but if it lets you fly...

Pro Member Trainee
papab Trainee

You did not mention which Spitfire you were flying
I just recently purchased the RealAir Spitfire 2008-What an aircraft!

You can and will blow up the engine if the throttle is firwalled for any length of time.
I have posted a Quote from their Flying manual below:

QUOTE:
"The RealAir Spitfire has a custom built engine failure simulation which is independent of any standard FSX failure routines and is based on realistic algorithms designed to respond to actual stress on the engine. Although the Griffon engine proved to be reasonably reliable it really did not like being pushed for sustained periods.
This is how it works:
The simulation monitors a combination of oil temperature and boost settings at all times. If you keep power above +12 lbs boost the failure mode begins to apply stress and engine wear. The oil temperature will rise. If you sustain much above +14 lbs boost for a long time it is likely a failure might occur, eventually. If you push the power above this point for around ten to twelve minutes the likelihood of failure is increased.
If you slam the throttle to the full +18 lbs boost and keep it there for more than five minutes engine failure will inevitably occur. If however before this amount of time has passed you reduce power to below +12 lbs boost the engine will gradually recover....if you’re lucky.
The key is to keep an eye on oil temperature — keep the oil temperature below 105 degrees C at all times and the engine will never fail. The acceptable power/time limits (as published in the real 1940s vintage Mk XIV Pilot’s notes) are as follows:
+18lbs boost for 5 minutes
+12lbs boost during takeoff
+9lbs boost for 1 hour
+7lbs boost — max. continuous power

Sticking to these limits will ensure you never cause an engine failure (although we suspect you’ll be trying to fail the engine the first few times you fly the Spit...).
In the FS2004 version this was portrayed within the VC as smoke followed by flames. In FSX special effects can only be seen in all views (‘globally’), we have therefore had to remove some of the failure effects from inside the cockpit. However you will hear an engine explosion and see the result of the failure from within the VC - oil will splatter on to the forward canopy and engine cowling and your view forward will be obscured. The damage at this point is terminal and the engine will not recover until you have landed and reloaded the Spitfire (thus repairing the damage you caused!)."

Pro Member Trainee
hasselerd Trainee

Many Thanks guys, you are indeed correct. If the oil temp goes up to hi the engine cuts out with with a burst of flame and lots of smoke......

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...