Questions about starting with FSX

Pro Member Trainee
luigi_m_ Trainee

Hi all, I'm looking to get back into simming and need some advice. Firstly, I'm going to buy a new PC for FSX, and need an idea of specs to run FSX at a very high quality (quad-core, duo-core, processor speed, RAM etc), and most importantly what video/graphics card to go for? I'm hoping to run the computer from a large LG TV. I understand that this may not give it the best graphics compared to using a monitor, but I'm hoping it will be more enjoyable. Do I just need to buy a PC-to-TV lead, or is anything else needed? Also, will this transfer the sound from the PC to the TV, or just the visuals?
In terms of terrain packs for FSX, what's best to look for for using IFR traffic in the UK and Europe.

Thanks for any advice guys

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

Hi Luigi,

I'm no expert with computers, but I went for a Dell XPS 720 H2C beast. It cost a fair bit, but runs FSX fantastically well. It's a quad core with 1.5 TB hard drive has 2 Nvidia 8800 graphics cards and is liquid cooled.

The only problem is it weighs five stones and nearly broke my back getting it out of the box!!!

Best of luck,

Lee

Pro Member Trainee
jespere Trainee

Lee198 wrote:

Hi Luigi,

I'm no expert with computers, but I went for a Dell XPS 720 H2C beast. It cost a fair bit, but runs FSX fantastically well. It's a quad core with 1.5 TB hard drive has 2 Nvidia 8800 graphics cards and is liquid cooled.

The only problem is it weighs five stones and nearly broke my back getting it out of the box!!!

Best of luck,

Lee

wow! 2x8800 cards... lucky you 😛

back to topic... yes you need a good graphiccard... well it dont have to be so ultimate super good, but i would prefer that is kind of good (😛)
whats your budget? how much could you spend money on the computer?

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

Jaspere,

I got a good machine! Yes, lucky me!!

I could only do it cos of a divorce, though!!!

Lol

Pro Member Trainee
luigi_m_ Trainee

I'm looking to spen up to 400 GBP on the CPU, and have found some good PC's on ebay that have pretty high specs for less than this, including 5.6 GHZ Duo Core processor, 4GB RAM, 1GB 6600 Graphics Card, will this suit high def' in FSX?

I have no idea about the TV to be honest, and I'm not too sure my parents are happy with me using the TV for simming, so will be looking for a 19" or bigger monitor as well.

Pro Member First Officer
Llain First Officer

the 6600 graphic card will let it down, you need a 7600 geforce min but i would go for a 8000 series . A geforce 8800 512mb or higher is a good choice, you can get these for about £150 on ebay.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...