weird captain...?

crosscheck9 Guest

Hey,
The other day, a friend of mine was enroute from Oklahoma to London, but he said that the captain said, that they would takeoff and climb to 30,000, and then, once over the atlantic, they would ascend to 33,000. Is this normal

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I would guess he's probably intercepting one of those NAT things i hear so much about, or, there's more favorable winds over the water at higher altitudes

PH Guest

When flying a heavy it is usual practice to "step climb" to cruise alt as at high weight it is impossible to get to FL330. Once some fuel is burned they get lighter and can climb to the required alt.

Pro Member First Officer
Paiute First Officer

Isn't 30,000 feet an altitude for westbound flights?? I thought that they flew at odd thousands eastbound and even thousands for westbound flights. Or does that only apply to aircraft below 18,000 feet?? 🙄

PH Guest

Levels are swapped throughout the North Atlantic Track Structure (NATS)during different times of the day/night. Eastbound tracks are usually fl320-400 (0100-0800Z)within the tracks, and Westbound levels are usually 310-400 (1130-1900Z). Levels vary North or South of the tracks depending on time for 30w, and direction of flight during the East or Westbound flow. So could depend on the time of day but as suggested normally odds Eastbound!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...