Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Short takeoff

Brook
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:54 pm 

Is it common or allowable for GA aircraft to shorten their taxi so as to take off sooner, with less runway?

I like to get on the sim runway and go ASAP. Assuming light or no traffic, is this OK in real world? Do you have to request it from the tower?
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:37 am 

Good question Brook... logic would dictate NO - isn't there a saying similar to 'the runway behind you is of no use'?

I'm sure that one of our many real life 172 students will be able to answer your question soon Smile
99jolegg
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:51 am 

Depending on the length of the runway, you may be assigned a taxi clearence that has you enter the runway 1/4 of the way down. You only need 2000ft for small GA aircraft so on runways of 5000ft or more, you are near close to cruise altitude by the time you cross the opposite end of the runway.

When I flew in the US at St Augustine, I was told to hold at Delta whilst a business jet used the whole runway for takeoff. After waiting a few minutes for wake turbulence to subside, I used about half of the runway from holdpoint D. I didn't ask to use less runway; I also didn't object to it.

Yes the runway behind you is useless but if TORA (take off run avaiable) is 2000ft over the aircraft's needed take off run, then that runway is too, useless.
Click below to support FSF:
Karlw
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:34 am 

No in real life you go to the very end of the runway. all of those are just turn off point's

I went to flying today I currently am a student pilot

But hopefully soon I will have the liscense without the student indentation on it Wink

Cheers Smile
Pick a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

-Confucius
99jolegg
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:30 am 

Karlw wrote:
No in real life you go to the very end of the runway. all of those are just turn off point's

Not always, like I said, when the runway is long enough, you can enter the runway (with prior permission) and use less of the runway for takeoff.
Click below to support FSF:
xXx-DeathKid-xXx
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:34 pm 

I do exactly that some times (only on VATSIM however)..for example at EGBB

EGBB_TWR: G-FJR, taxi A1 via F, D, A, hold F1 and advise when ready to cross runway 33.
G-FJR: Tower, request taxi K1 via F, H, K.
EGBB_TWR; G-FJR, ok taxi K1 via F, H, K advise holding short.

See...instead of going the long way, you can take off from further down the runway, and this can help save time in some cases Smile
warlord40
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:53 am 

I thought having more runway would be the safer approach, couldn't think of anything worse than having an engine stall with no runway left at takeoff
VegasFlyer
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:06 am 

warlord40 wrote:
I thought having more runway would be the safer approach, couldn't think of anything worse than having an engine stall with no runway left at takeoff

You can always request a "whole runway" so to speek! Laughing
jianqing
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:07 pm 

In emergency you can do anything safe! In a severe crosswind you can land on a taxiway!
VegasFlyer
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:46 pm 

jianqing wrote:
In emergency you can do anything safe! In a severe crosswind you can land on a taxiway!

Not sure about that! It depends on the size of the aircraft and the size of taxiway if the pilot is that desperate! Wink
jianqing
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:55 pm 

VegasFlyer wrote:
jianqing wrote:

Not sure about that! It depends on the size of the aircraft and the size of taxiway if the pilot is that desperate! Wink

desperate+big taxiway+emergency=...........................
We have reached our cruising altitude,I am going to switch the seat belt sign off. Feel free to move about as you wish, but please stay inside the plane till we land ... it's a bit cold outside, and if you walk on the wings it affects the flight pattern.
SamIntel
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:32 am 

Not sure how it is in the UK, but sounds similar according to the above posts. In the US you may request an intersection departure from ground control when you call them up for taxi clearance. It would go something like this:

"Helena ground, Cessna 533Q, at the east T-hangars, request taxi to runway 27 at intersection echo."