Short takeoff

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

Is it common or allowable for GA aircraft to shorten their taxi so as to take off sooner, with less runway?

I like to get on the sim runway and go ASAP. Assuming light or no traffic, is this OK in real world? Do you have to request it from the tower?

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Good question Brook... logic would dictate NO - isn't there a saying similar to 'the runway behind you is of no use'?

I'm sure that one of our many real life 172 students will be able to answer your question soon 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Depending on the length of the runway, you may be assigned a taxi clearence that has you enter the runway 1/4 of the way down. You only need 2000ft for small GA aircraft so on runways of 5000ft or more, you are near close to cruise altitude by the time you cross the opposite end of the runway.

When I flew in the US at St Augustine, I was told to hold at Delta whilst a business jet used the whole runway for takeoff. After waiting a few minutes for wake turbulence to subside, I used about half of the runway from holdpoint D. I didn't ask to use less runway; I also didn't object to it.

Yes the runway behind you is useless but if TORA (take off run avaiable) is 2000ft over the aircraft's needed take off run, then that runway is too, useless.

Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

No in real life you go to the very end of the runway. all of those are just turn off point's

I went to flying today I currently am a student pilot

But hopefully soon I will have the liscense without the student indentation on it 😉

Cheers 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Karlw wrote:

No in real life you go to the very end of the runway. all of those are just turn off point's

Not always, like I said, when the runway is long enough, you can enter the runway (with prior permission) and use less of the runway for takeoff.

Pro Member Trainee
xXx-DeathKid-xXx Trainee

I do exactly that some times (only on VATSIM however)..for example at EGBB

EGBB_TWR: G-FJR, taxi A1 via F, D, A, hold F1 and advise when ready to cross runway 33.
G-FJR: Tower, request taxi K1 via F, H, K.
EGBB_TWR; G-FJR, ok taxi K1 via F, H, K advise holding short.

See...instead of going the long way, you can take off from further down the runway, and this can help save time in some cases 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

I thought having more runway would be the safer approach, couldn't think of anything worse than having an engine stall with no runway left at takeoff

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

warlord40 wrote:

I thought having more runway would be the safer approach, couldn't think of anything worse than having an engine stall with no runway left at takeoff

You can always request a "whole runway" so to speek! 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Hongming Zheng (jianqing) First Officer

In emergency you can do anything safe! In a severe crosswind you can land on a taxiway!

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

jianqing wrote:

In emergency you can do anything safe! In a severe crosswind you can land on a taxiway!

Not sure about that! It depends on the size of the aircraft and the size of taxiway if the pilot is that desperate! 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Hongming Zheng (jianqing) First Officer

VegasFlyer wrote:

jianqing wrote:

Not sure about that! It depends on the size of the aircraft and the size of taxiway if the pilot is that desperate! 😉

desperate+big taxiway+emergency=...........................

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Not sure how it is in the UK, but sounds similar according to the above posts. In the US you may request an intersection departure from ground control when you call them up for taxi clearance. It would go something like this:

"Helena ground, Cessna 533Q, at the east T-hangars, request taxi to runway 27 at intersection echo."

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi there,

Your question pertains to the possibility of shortening the taxi for General Aviation (GA) aircraft in order to expedite takeoff, particularly in scenarios with light or no traffic. In the real world of aviation, this is indeed feasible, but it's important to follow specific procedures and communicate effectively with the Air Traffic Control (ATC) to ensure safety.

First and foremost, always communicate your intentions to the ATC. To request a shortened taxi and takeoff, simply ask for an "intersection departure" (a takeoff from an intersection rather than the runway's threshold). The ATC will then evaluate the situation, considering factors such as traffic, weather, and runway length, and provide you with the appropriate clearance or instructions.

Keep in mind that when performing an intersection departure, it's crucial to verify that your aircraft's performance capabilities can accommodate the reduced runway length. Be sure to consult your aircraft's Pilot Operating Handbook (POH) for takeoff distance requirements in relation to factors like altitude, temperature, and aircraft weight. Remember that safety should always be your top priority.

1. Review aircraft performance data in the POH
  2. Request an intersection departure from ATC
  3. Follow ATC instructions and ensure safety margins are met

In summary, while it is possible to perform a shorter taxi and takeoff with GA aircraft in real-world aviation, it's essential to adhere to proper procedures and maintain communication with the ATC. This will ensure a safe and efficient flight experience for you and other pilots sharing the airspace.

Clear skies and happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...