SearchSearch 

Sim Cockpits...

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Anyone out there considering building a cockpit for your sim? Rather than sitting behind the desk, I've been kicking around the idea of building a generic cockpit where I can position the various controllers where I like and get a bit more realism with guages, seating, switches, lighting, and all that cool stuff.

2 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

I'd love to have that sort of set up in a garage , wouldn't be all that expensive using painted egg cartons and stuff and a few monitors, only problem...dont have a garage...or any room for that matter...

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

I'm thinking something much smaller on the scale of a Beech Baron, or the like. I've been drawing up some designs on google sketch up and my idea is to go with a modular design, so I'd start with the pilot's side and throttle quadrant section then add a co pilot side at a later date. Kinda like model railroaders do, each member builds a module then it all comes together, but can be operated individualy. At this stage, I'm basicaly building the front left quarter of a generic twin with half panel left side and the centre console section as one stand alone unit. I'm going to build the basic structure out of 3/4 MDF andgo from there. I have the CH Yoke, Rudders, and Quadrant and will incorporate them into my design. I've got some old aircraft items like trim wheels, instruments, a seat and switches. I'm planning on adding them although not funtional, for the atmosphere.