Installing New FSX Missions

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

I have FSX Deluxe with SP1 on Windows XP/2002 Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2).

When flyawaysimulations.com downloads have "Missions" folders (or subfolders with categories), I know what to do. Also, when they they have scenery and texture folders (for placement in Addon Scenery and activated after FSX is booted at Settings\Scenery Library\Add Area), that's OK. An example of a well organized download is Back Country.

BUT- some downlooads now come with no folders and some new files (e.g., a .bgl, an Adobe Photoshop Plugin, and some .JPEGs). For example, see Belize Atols.

Is there any general instruction you can vector me to that might provide info on installing this stuff?

Many Thanks,
Martin

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Taylor (Flyboy92) First Officer

I just downloaded the Belize Atols.

Basically, make sure FSX is closed.

Then, take the file named "BELIZE-ZOO.bgl" and put it in your FSX/Addon Scenery/Scenery Folder.

Then take the file named "VFR Philip S W Goldson Intl to Puerto Barrios.PLN" and put it in your FSX/Flights Folder.

Let me know if you have any problems 😉

Flyboy92

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

THANK YOU! What do I do with the several .jpg images?

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor (Flyboy92) First Officer

You look at them 😂

Nothing needs to be done with them.

Flyboy92

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Blessed are they who help here.

Thanks, Martin

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Flyboy92, I hope you're still here. I've been moving and haven't had a chance to do what you said.
Following your instructions precisely, I installed the missions: monks-to-go, BelizezAtols, RoadToKom, and EuadorLake.
But when I start FSX, none of these can be accessed under Missions - that is, none of them shows up in the all-catagories mission list.
Am I looking in the wrong place?
THANKS, Martin

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

common sense tells me there should be some files in your missions folder for this to work?

Pro Member Trainee
basys Trainee

Hi Folks

Martin -
ISTR "Belize Atolls" is NOT an FSX Mission.
It's just a flight with scenery.

Gera has since started creating genuine missions.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Pro Member Trainee
Mark (totallyfrozen) Trainee

Hmmm...yeah...

I've been fooling with trying to add new Missions too. I think I'm losing patience because I'm tempted to start using words like RIDICULOUS!

For example, I d/l a mission (Ecuador's Mystery Lake to be specific). It even had a rating of 10 from 2 votes. How's that possible when it's not even playable? I don't know.

I followed the instructions in the ReadMe--didn't work. I tried to be clever and install the .PLN file in the Kiosk folders and play it from the Kiosk--didn't work. I even tried to be super clever and show off my computer saavy by CREATING a folder for it in the Missions folder; installing the .PLN file in there; creating an IMAGES folder inside the main folder (following the example of the other Missions that came with FSX) and putting all those JPG files in there--DIDN'T WORK! In every case, the missions are not even visible in the Missions menu (nor in the Kiosk when I tried that).

It seems that these ZIP'd mission files that we download are not complete. The actual missions in FSX have ALOT more in them than the 2 files that I've been finding in these downloads (JPG files aside). For example, the FSX missions include a FLT file that none of the missions seem to include. I'm not a newbie to computers by any stretch. Even after creating a folder path nearly identical to the type that the default missions reside in, I can't get any of these addon missions to work.

I'm missing something or I'm doing it wrong. If anyone has gotten ANY of these missions to work, please let me know what you did (and which mission you did it to--I'll download the same one and follow your steps).

Thanks for any help.

Pro Member Trainee
basys Trainee

Hi Folks

totallyfrozen wrote:

I'm missing something or I'm doing it wrong. If anyone has gotten ANY of these missions to work, please let me know what you did (and which mission you did it to

Totallyfrozen -
As per my previous post.

ISTR "Belize Atolls" is NOT an FSX Mission.
It's just a flight with scenery.

Same applies to Gera's others.

Gera had been creating 'Missions'
for some years prior to FSX being released.

Unfortunately,
following FSX release
he'd continued to label some as 'Missions'.
AFAIK he no longer does so.

Bottom line -
They're just flights & scenery, with no interactivity.
Load as per a normal 'Saved Flight'.

If you're looking for genuine FSX Missions,
please see -
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/101/fsx-missions/

ADMIN -
Could the non-mission files please be recategorised to "FSX - Misc".

HTH
ATB
Paul

Pro Member Trainee
Mark (totallyfrozen) Trainee

Well dat 'splains it!

Thanks!

Well, knowing that now...I have to say, I'm LMAO!! There's a WHOLE story line that goes along with these scenery files! 🙄

I can't think of anything polite to say about that so I'm just going to walk away and shake my head.

Thanks for the info.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...