FSX Freezing

Pro Member First Officer
walesdragon First Officer

I'm playing fsx a lot now and I REALLY enjoy it. But there's still one problem (other than the BSOD i've been getting quite frequently but I think I know how to figure that problem out myself) that I have.

This happens quite a lot and varies on WHEN it happens. Most times it happens withing 10 minutes of flying or 5 minutes. Also, it happens after a few seconds - 1 minute after start up of a flight. Once I was flying from Adelaide > Melbourne and literally 30 seconds before landing FSX just froze. Well, not exactly froze, the display stops but the sound keeps playing. And if I click on the "x" at the top right to exit out of FSX the "are you sure you want to exit flight simulator" message comes up and I presss
"no" But then the screen goes black, BUT THE SOUND STILL PLAYS.

It's like the display refuses to come up. My computer hates me D:

Answers 20 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

I know your going to hate me saying this, but go for a full fsx install, defrag > install fsx > defrag > sp1 > sp2> defrag, would be the only way I know, to fix a problem of that type.
Unless someone else has a theory of their own???

Pro Member First Officer
freedspeak First Officer

OUCH !

Pro Member Trainee
kin3 Trainee

Post your system spec that might help.

mine
Motherboard: EVGA 780i
Graphic Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC
DVD: Philips SPD6104P SCSI DVD
Sound: Creative X-FI Audio
Power Supply: Corsair TX750W
CPU: E8400
Memory: Patriot 4G 2Gx2
Hard Drive: 500G
Case: Antec P182

Pro Member First Officer

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 3600+ 2.00 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
Nvidia 8800Ultra 768MB

Pro Member First Officer

Ok, I've managed to stop the freezing. But there was one HUGE catch. I had to uninstall fs2004. D:

Pro Member First Officer

UUUgggghhh. My bad, It froze again. Anyway, My mate Rhys has FSX and acceleration atm so I'm wating for him to bring it to school tomorrow so he can give it back to me. I'll then do a complete uninstall and then a re install. Wish me luck! : D

Pro Member Trainee
kin3 Trainee

I would try to add more memory.

Pro Member Trainee
harleyman52 Trainee

Get a different Vid driver.....

A freeze and then black screen usually means driver failure...

Then delete ( remove ) your FSC config..Load FSX and let it build a new one...Same with the Bin files......

Pro Member First Officer

I've tried 3 different drivers, no luck. And I'm starting to get constant blue screens again when I want to fly on fsx. My friend suggested that it may be CPU overheating or bad RAM. We tested out my CPU and that didn't seem to be overheating so my best guess is bad RAM. As that's what IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL tends to mean, I think. I'll jet get a 2GB stick of RAM for about 40 bucks in a few weeks and replace my 1GB stick.

Pro Member First Officer
Pro Member First Officer

Sorry, Warlord, but it's now impossible to do that as windows won't take me to the log in screen anymore because I tried to install 175.19 driver for my Graphics card and now it gets an error after windows loads saying " The application has failed to start because MSVCP60.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem." BUT HOW CAN I UN INSTALL WHEN I CAN'T LOG IN AS IT DOESN'T TAKE ME TO THE LOG IN SCREEN!!!!! I've tried ALL safe modes but it still tries to load that damn services.exe/MSVCP60.dll. I now have to use my terrible laptop and my dad will most likely kill me when he finds out about this.............................

Pro Member First Officer
Pro Member First Officer

I'm not sure how I can actually replace my old one because It won't take me to the log in screen. I've tried doing a repair of windows but that same bloody message comes up again when installing and screws everything up...

Oh and if you're wondering "But he's on a computer, what the hell!?!" I'm on my laptop 😉

And my lap top is a shocker, I can ONLY JUST run fs2004

Pro Member First Officer

I should be able to get this fixed by tomorrow as my friend Rhys is going to give me Linux to install on start-up and I shall then partition my hard drive etc then re-install windows. So I guess all I get from this is new computer skillz! Sweet!

Pro Member First Officer

Alway's...look on... the bright.... side...of life.... dee dooo....dee....doo...dee...doo dee doo (extract from Monty Pythons "the Life Of Brian')

Pro Member First Officer

I shall be by the end of today, hopefully.

Pro Member First Officer

I'm telling you, MY COMPUTER HATES ME! I've manually copied MSVCP60.DLL from the Windows XP disk using recovery console. After this, I was all hyped up and ready to get on my computer and play some FSX!!!! BUT NO! I recently tried repairing windows to resolve this incident and it says "setup is being restarted" As the setup never completed because the error message would freeze the installation that message comes up then followed with a black screen EVEN WITH THE INSTALLATION DISK IN! And it hangs there for a couple of seconds and then restarts. So basically, I've fixed it BUT it just randomly restarts. Any help, guys? Otherwise, I am forced to do the unthinkable, FORMAT.

Pro Member Trainee
kin3 Trainee

This may or may not help but here goes. I was having some kind of problem after a new build and I didn't have a clue to what was wrong so I remembered I had a Linux bootable cd and I put that in and it booted up normal into Linux. So at least I new that it wasn't a hardware problem. If I remember correctly it was 4gig of ram and I had to remove 2 gig and get a patch then re-install the other 2 gig.

Maybe you can try removing some components to see if it's hardware.

Pro Member First Officer

If worst comes too worst... make sure you remove your harddrive and reconnect it too another computer to back up all the files you want to keep, nothing worse than loosing everything! (just remember to be grounded when dealing with your computers internals, so as not too fry any components with static electricity)

Pro Member First Officer

kin3 wrote:

This may or may not help but here goes. I was having some kind of problem after a new build and I didn't have a clue to what was wrong so I remembered I had a Linux bootable cd and I put that in and it booted up normal into Linux. So at least I new that it wasn't a hardware problem. If I remember correctly it was 4gig of ram and I had to remove 2 gig and get a patch then re-install the other 2 gig.

Maybe you can try removing some components to see if it's hardware.

Yeah, my mate was telling me that the cause of my blue screens could bave been faulty RAM. But I don't want to go around buying new RAM and sticking it into my computer to find out that it doesn't work.

And warlord, how do I put the stuff from my HDD into my laptop?
I've got around 103GB of stuff on my HDD and I think my laptop is not big enough.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...