Slow Download Speeds on Avsim: Need Help with 3.0kb Rate

Pro Member Trainee
Arul Dass (arulu) Trainee

Friends, when I download any file from Avsim, the speed becomes very slow even down to 3.0kb. This is really frustrating and as we know almost every file has to download from this site. I am using the broadband connection in Vista 32bit SP1. Can anyone help me to solve this problem? Thanks.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

assuming the rest of the internet isn't this slow for you, i'd assume the problem is with their end. I'd try back in a day or so

Pro Member Trainee

Yes friend, only Avsim downloads are this slow. Other sites are normal speed. Thanks.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Keep in mind that Avisim is a massive aircraft database, and that a lot of people access and download from this server for all types of aircraft. So downloading might be bothersome....try to hit them up late in the evening, when most people go to bed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

GundamWZero wrote:

....try to hit them up late in the evening, when most people go to bed.

That's a tricky one Gundam... remember that 19:00 Cal is equivalent to 08:00 Malaysia. 🙂)

Pro Member Trainee

I have been trying morning, afternoon and evening Malaysian time. But there is no difference. What I would suggest is why not have other websites similar to Avsim and this could at least help a bit. Why every file goes to Avsim? Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Have you tried www.flightsim.com

They also have free accounts though they are time limited to 2 hours I think. However, if your download has started and is unfinished by the end of the time limit, they won't cut you off but will let you complete your download. If you get there at a quiet time of day (U.S. time) they let you often stay longer than 2 hours. IMHO, Flightsim has the best internal search engine of all the file libraries.

Pro Member Trainee

Thanks Tailhook. The flightsim site seems to be very much better speed than Avsim. Thanks again.

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

Arulu…
I do not think that is going to “comfort “ U but just 2 days ago I downloaded a pay ware air craft from Avsim and it took 4 hours to get it and I have a fast internet connection. Usually my down load connection speed is around 120- to 200 Kbs but with them I was happy to get 14. , and it is from Israel.

Pro Member Trainee

However Rafi, with flightsim I am able to download at least above 25kb sec, which is far better than Avsim. Thanks.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

It's certainly understandable how slow download speeds can be a frustrating issue, especially when dealing with large files like those we often encounter in flight simulation. Let's break down some potential solutions you might consider.

1. Check Your Internet Connection:

• Try downloading a file from another website to see if the problem is specific to Avsim.
  • Restart your modem/router and see if the problem persists.

2. Browser Settings and Cache:

• You may want to clear your browser cache and cookies.
  • Try using a different web browser to see if that affects the download speed.

3. Firewall or Antivirus Software:

• Sometimes, these can interfere with your download speeds. Check if your firewall or antivirus settings are causing the slowdown.

4. Background Applications:

• Closing other applications that might be using the Internet can often free up bandwidth.

5. Network Card Settings:

• Since you mentioned using Vista 32bit SP1, you might want to look into your network card settings. Sometimes, tweaking these can make a difference in download speeds.

6. Contacting Avsim Support:

• If none of these solutions work, it might be a good idea to contact Avsim support directly. They might have specific insights into why downloads from their site are slow for you.

7. Alternative Download Locations:

• While I understand Avsim is a primary source for many, there might be other reputable websites hosting the same files. It might be worth looking into these if the issue persists.

Please keep in mind that since you are using a broadband connection with Vista 32bit SP1, some newer solutions might not be applicable, as they are designed for more recent operating systems and connection types.

If you do find a solution to this problem, it might be beneficial for others in the community if you could share what worked for you.

Wishing you the best of luck in resolving this issue!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...