FSX Suddenly Won't start Up

Pro Member Trainee
Mateen Trainee

Hi,

I have been running FSX under Vista for many months and suddenly it won't start up. Program kicks off and then I get an error saying there is an unhandled exception in FSX.EXE. I get offered option to debug and then it exits to the desktop.

I have tried deleting the Logbook.BIN file with no success. So I deinstalled FSX and all my aircraft/scenery files. Deleted the left over directories, rebooted. cleaned the pre-fetch cache and rebooted again. THen I reinstalled FSX. But it goes through authorisation ok, builds the scenery indexes and then crashes with the same error message. Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this. Thanks. Mateen 😞

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Westernstyle First Officer

Try running in the main FSX directory, Local Disk C- Program Files mircrosoft games, FSX, then click FSX.exe. Mine wont work from desktop.

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

Tried running as Administrator?

Pro Member Trainee
Rolaids Trainee

Are you using SP2. When I installed that my computer wouldn't run it and I had to take it off before I could use FSX.

Pro Member Trainee
Mateen Trainee

Tried running it from the file and got the same result, I am running it with admin privelages. I was initially getting the problem with FSX + SP2 but after deleting it I have reinstalled only core FSX and the exact same problem occurs. It's really frustrating as there is no real information about what is causing it to fail. My next plan is to try reinstalling Directx to see if that helps.

Evil or Very Mad Mateen

Pro Member Trainee
Rolaids Trainee

Did you just delete the whole FSX file. Because if you ran just the FSX uninstall there may still be SP2. Also did the Problem Evil or Very Mad appear right after you installed SP2.

Pro Member Trainee
Mateen Trainee

No it had been working fine with SP2 for several months before it just suddenly stopped working. I uninstalled SP2 first then FSX. Mateen

Pro Member Trainee
Rolaids Trainee

Ok I have know idea whats being your problem. Maybe its your Direct X like you said. It may also be a prob with your puter. Maybe it needs reloaded or something.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try deleting the log file.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Mateen Trainee

Where is the log file stored? I deinstalled FSX and deleted the FSX libraries from program files and the documents one. Is there another place files might be lingering?

Thanks Mateen

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
Mateen Trainee

Thanks for all the suggestions, everything I have tried has been unsuccessful. I'm thinking that it must dislike either my sound card or video driver. But I've pretty much reached the giving up stage for now. Thanks for your help though.

Mateen

Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Try updating all your drivers, and running it in compatibility mode. Unless it was a driver update that broke it, then try rolling back
😎

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...