What is Slew Mode?

Pro Member Trainee
timohnani Trainee

Hi guys,

I've haven't figured this out yet. What is Slew mode and what is it useful for?

Timo

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I use it mostly to get the gliders in the air.

You can download all the keyboard commands here and print them out.
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/7939/fs2004-keyboard-commands-table/

SLEW COMMANDS
Slewing allows you to rapidly reposition your aircraft without flying in real time. Use these commands to slew.
Slew Mode On/Off Y
Set Heading North/Attitude Straight-and-Level SPACEBAR
Freeze All Movement Num Pad 5
Move Forward Num Pad 8
Move Backward Num Pad 2
Move Left Num Pad 4
Move Right Num Pad 6
Move Up Slowly Q or F3
Move Up Quickly F4
Move Down Slowly A
Move Down Quickly F1
Freeze Vertical Movement F2
Rotate Left Num Pad 1
Rotate Right Num Pad 3
Move Nose Up 9
Move Nose Up Quickly F5
Move Nose Down F7 or 0
Move Nose Down Quickly F8
Freeze Pitch F6
Bank Left Num Pad 7
Bank Right Num Pad 9
Move Eyepoint Up SHIFT+ENTER
Move Eyepoint Down SHIFT+BACKSPACE
Move Eyepoint Left CTRL+SHIFT+BACKSPACE
Move Eyepoint Right CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
Move Eyepoint Forward CTRL+BACKSPACE
Move Eyepoint Back CTRL+ENTER
MULTIPLAYER COMMANDS
Track Mode On/Off CTRL+SHIFT+D
Cycle Through Other Players CTRL+SHIFT+T
Follow Other Player CTRL+SHIFT+F
Switch To Observer Mode CTRL+SHIFT+O
Chat Window Display/Hide CTRL+SHIFT+] (R BRACKET)
Switch Focus to Chat Window ENTER

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

To activate Slew Mode press Y. Slew Mode is useful to move the aircraft to different positions, altitudes, etc. You can move the aircraft wherever you want. I use that mode to practice my landings. It's very useful to me.
If you have a Joystick, you can use you pitch to increase or decrease the altitude. Yo can also move around the Joystick to move around the aircraft. And also you can use the rudder to you know what.

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

I used it a AGUS described, far less frustrating to just back up and try again when you are learning to land than to have to go around or even worse, drive your plane several feet under the runway Embarassed

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

Slew mode is GREAT for just that!!! Once landed, slew er back along the final approach course so you can do multiple landings without having to do the entire pattern over and over. I use it for testing GPWS and things like this also. For testing landing gear after adjustments etc.
Also you can turn off the panel and drive all over the place checking out the scenery. It is WONDERFUL for this!!!!

Pro Member First Officer
George Leach (CDR) First Officer

I use it once in a while.
Some times on the ground it woks very fast but other times it is very slow ,like the push back.
I do know the warder i pull my joystick back the faster things move .

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hey Timo,

Great question! Slew mode is a handy feature in Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) that allows you to reposition your aircraft quickly and easily without affecting its flight dynamics or engine state. It's essentially a "cheat" mode for moving your aircraft around the virtual world, and it can be quite useful in a variety of situations. It can also be applied to the new Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020 release.

To activate Slew mode, simply press Y on your keyboard. When in this mode, your aircraft will be "suspended" in the air, and you'll be able to control its position and orientation using the following keys:

• 8, 4, 5, 6 (numpad): Move the aircraft forward, backward, left, and right.
  • 9, 7 (numpad): Rotate the aircraft clockwise and counterclockwise.
  • A, Z: Increase and decrease altitude.
  • F1, F2, F3, F4: Control aircraft pitch, bank, and heading.

Slew mode can be incredibly useful in various situations, such as:

• Adjusting your aircraft's position on the ground, especially when taxiing or parking at an airport.
  • Repositioning your aircraft to a specific location or altitude for practicing certain flight maneuvers or approaches.
  • Exploring the virtual world quickly without having to fly in real-time.
  • Taking screenshots or creating cinematic videos.

However, keep in mind that using Slew mode can take you out of the immersive experience of a realistic flight simulation, so use it sparingly if you're aiming for a high level of realism. Also, note that some virtual airlines or online flying networks may frown upon using Slew mode during their flights, so make sure to respect their rules and guidelines.

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...