Men only ?

Guest Anna Guest

Hi,

I was wondering, are there no other girls that are members of this forum ?

I'm half way through my PPL (been flying for 6 months) and have also been using FS2004 for 9 months.

It's a fantastic Simulator, and also this forum seems full of good info but I was wondering if a girl would be treated as second class in a male dominated forum !

Anna (UK)

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hi Anna,

The majority of people on this forum would welcome you !

It is male dominated but not because we don't like girls around here ( 😂 ), just that few girls seem interested in Flight Simulation.

Anyway, welcome and look forward to hearing more from you !

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes we have a few female members, you'll find that we try to keep this a friendly "family" type site.
Stay a while, nice to see you.

Radar

Guest Anna Guest

ah thanks ......!

i'll see how i go, and if it goes well I'll join up ...

My first question (i have a PPL background not Airliner), is what does the Backcourse button do on autopilot, within FS ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Welcome Anna!

I'm sure you will feel comfotable here. This is like a family.
Also, you will find a lot of information here. We will help you in everything you want.
About your question, the backcourse button allows you automatically to follow a back course of a localizer for the instrument approaches.

You will find more information in the Learning Center about the Autopilot.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😳 GIRLS Doh!

You are very welcome,As Radar man said we do have a few female members and guests who come and post from time to time.And with you training for your PPL,perhaps you could give us a weekly/monthly post as to how you are doing 😎
GPS is spot on when he said that fs is a mainly male dominated platform(there was a post a long time ago where someone set up a fswidows site 🙄 )

Please keep on visiting

thanks y'all.

PPL is going well. Any PPL trainee will tell you that the flying is of course FAB and sooo enjoyable but the studying is really hard, and when you get stuck on a subject which isnt so interesting to you, its hard to stay focussed....

i'm still not sure on the Backcourse within the Autopilot (The C152 that i'm learning in doesn't have an AP)...

are you saying that (in the sim), if i was doing an ILS landing but needed to go around, i hit the "backcourse" button and the AP will keep me on the localizer (runway heading) but free the glideslope, so I can ascend ?

dunno if i've missed the point and don't have access to the sim 2nite to try it !

thanks for the welcomes fella's

ciao for now. A.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

hello! Welcome! I'll give you some info directly from the Learning Center regarding the back course button. I'm usually a heavy jet flier, and obviously, a autopilot junkie😛

From what it says, This seems to reverse the autopilot's response to the localizer needle, as in, if it moves left, the plane moves right. it also disables the glide slope, Maybe it's used for rejected/missed approach?

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Howdy. welcome aboard. The backcourse button allows you to fly an approach from the backside of the localizer. Say you only have a localizer on rnwy 09 but wish to land on rnwy 27, you set the localizer freq on the nav and the A/P will be able to read the back course signal correctly. Remmember, When you fly a backcourse, the OBI needle will respond oppositly than when you fly a normal localizer.

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

Guest Anna wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering, are there no other girls that are members of this forum ?
It's a fantastic Simulator, and also this forum seems full of good info but I was wondering if a girl would be treated as second class in a male dominated forum !

Anna (UK)

I haven't even seen discrimination against people who have not a single clue on this board, so I have no idea why you think you would be treated any differently because of your membership of the fairer sex. Don't let it get to you, noone bites here - actually I do, but not via dialup... 😂

Not sure what it is, but the majority of women I've known seem scared of computer games. Onya for breaking the barriers! 😉

Pro Member Trainee
pancho54 Trainee

😀 BC STANDS FOR BACK COURSE, LET'S SEE IF YOU HAVE AN ILS ON A RWY SAY 24, THE LOCALIZER AND GLIDE SLOPE WILL READ CORRECTLY AS LONG AS YOUR HEADING IS TOWARDS 240 DEGREES.
NOW ATC CAN GIVE YOU THE OPPOSITE RUNWAY IN THIS CASE 6 OR O6 SO IN THAT CASE TWO THINGS HAPPEN
A. THE GS IS INEFFECTIVE AND
B. THE BC IS REALLY THE LOCALIZER SIGNAL, IN A BC YOU NORMALLY FLY AWAY FROM THE NEEDLE INSTEAD OF TOWARDS AS IN A FRONT COURSE ILS

Pro Member First Officer
Paiute First Officer

Hi Anna,

I wish you well in your training for the PPL. Years ago I took flying lessons in a Cessna 150. During my SECOND flying lesson my instructor put the plane into a spin-- scared the bejabbers out of me. I thought that I had done something wrong. but he did it. It would have been bad enough if he had told me he was going to do it. Then he had the temerity to ask how many times we went around!! I wasn't counting Evil or Very Mad

But I did manage to solo in the 150. I have 1.5 hours of solo time doing TOL's in the traffic pattern. Maybe with a better flight instructor I would have gone on to the PPL. 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...