James Van Allen has died

Guest Ed Guest

James Van Allen, a real pioneer of space exploration, died a couple of days ago at the age of 91:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/08/09/obit.van.allen.ap/index.html?section=cnn_space&ref=google

He was involved with developing the Explorer 1 satellite, the first object placed into Earth orbit by the US, back in 1958. Among the discoveries of that probe were the radiation belts surrounding Earth, which were named in his honor.

I remember all the news accounts from when Explorer was launched; I was seven years old at the time. I distinctly remember the newspaper photograph of three smiling men holding a mock-up of the Explorer 1 overhead; they were Werner Von Braun, who was responsible for building the rocket that launched Explorer, William Pickering, who was the first Director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which built Explorer, and the third was James Van Allen.

When I started at JPL in 1975, Pickering was still the director, although he retired soon afterwards, and passed away just a year or two ago. Von Braun died in 1977, but at the time an older man told me that once he had gone into the men's room and Von Braun himself used the urinal next to him! Being old enough to have lived through WWII, my friend did NOT think highly of Von Braun! But von Braun did get the US space program off the ground, at a time when it was in serious trouble.

But Van Allen was the last of that group, and I'm sorry to see him go. As one with a lifelong interest in robotic space exploration, I think of Von Braun, Pickering and Van Allen as real pioneers and visionaries.

Ed

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

He lived a long life and made contributions in a field that he loved, his work will be remembered long after he's gone. You can't ask for more than that. May he rest in peace.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...