Flight Of The Phoenix

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Flight Of The Phoenix

This is a design of the Phoenix from the original movie. Unfortunately I don't have the read-me in the folder and can't remember where I downloaded it.
When I saw the promos last night that they are remaking the move I hunted for these screenshots that I had taken quite a while back.
It was if I remember a 2004 design and I still have it in my aircraft folder.

Radar

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
George Leach (CDR) First Officer

What are thoes guys doing ?
Hiyching a ride ?LOL
ROFL

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Radarman..

Flight of the Phx is one of my favorite pictures. If anybody out there have never seen the original version, it's highly recommended you see it. I am looking forward on seeing the new version.

Jetman 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 The original film was great,but you know what most remakes are like Umm... Though the trailer looks good ➡

You need Quicktime

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/flightofthephoenix/fotp_trailer_s.html

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The original was and still is great. The remake probably will be like all remakes, they usually stink up the place.
I hope this one will be different.

here is the link to the download.
Someone just found it for me and I thought that I would pass it on.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=c82phx.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mako (makonnenl) First Officer

❓ I don't understand, I don't see no tires And this plane is landing without tires ❓ the last screen shot looks like they are on the ground.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your a bunch of kids, we old f***ts have to tell you everything.
This is a remake of a truly great film, will it match up to the original, I doubt it they never do.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059183/
The aircraft went down in the desert. The only way out was to rebuild it out of the wreckage.
No cabin they had to hold onto hand-held's on the wing, one chance to take off.
(The Phoenix was the mythological bird that rose from the ashes)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/flightofthephoenix/fotp_trailer_l.html New.

Radar

Last edited by RadarMan on Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

It is an excellent movie not just on the avionics’ matter but about taking command on a extreme situation and showing that the person who is taking the command his is the right person for the certain moment. For those they remember, the " kid" engineer who rebuild the plane all he knew was how to build airplane models
Yes the plane took off without wheels . Great movie (and old)

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Well, just last night I was flying my C119. Nice flying bird.... I guess I can try to crash it in the desert but I don't think that SIMS will like that. I believe the C119 is the plane used in the movie. I believe the orginal movie came out in 1964? Can anybody help me out with that?

Jetman 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Jetman,
The original movie was 1965 (close).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059183/

The aircraft was a Fairchild C-82. Great STOL aircraft.

The link above at Avsim is for the download of both.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Radarman

Thanks for the correction. BOTH planes are sweet! I am currently downloading the C-82!!

Jetman 😳

wilga12 Guest

Hi all

A question about Flight of Phoenix: When Stewart was ready to try to start the big radial engine to attempt a takeoff,He employed a start up proceedure that I've not seen or heard of before.

Can anyone tell me what that type of system was called and did the system really exsist..?

I believe that I could make use of a scaled down version of that same type of system to start my homebuilt airplane since it has no provision for an electrical starter or compressed air starter for that matter.

Thanks for your attention,guys.................Dave

Pro Member First Officer

Hi Dave
I don't know how the system called but it was based on a start up with explosive bullets. I don't think it is for U. I remember an other mechanical start up with some kind of fly wheel and the air craft called "Stirman"

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Rafi is right.

Less than ½ down under "Engine Starting". Very interesting.

http://www.btinternet.com/~javelin/p08_technical_notes/p08_technical_notes.htm

Radar

wilga12 Guest

Thank you for the replys,fellas

Although I believe that I'm feeling a bit more in question,now ?

Exactly What is RAFI "right" about ? And what does "Less than half down under" translate to ?

After reading your link, the Avpin and the previous cartridge starting systems,are being applied to turbine engines. Stewart was not trying to start a turbine, it was a recipricating engine a radial. Quite some difference. Do you fellas know of, or know where to send me to find out more on "Cartridge Start" systems as they apply to RECIP motors,which is what is in my homebuilt.
RAFI.... You said that "This is not for me". is safety what you had in mind,with that statement? If so, the alternative here is Hand Propping,this proceedure really leaves a lot to be desired on the subject of safety. Have you ever Hand Propped an airplane, I have, and ,without a doubt, it's a bit Intimidating. Especially if the engine is approaching 200 horse-power. As my L-19 was.

Thanks fellas..............Dave dred@centurytel.net

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

wilga12,
By RECIP am I to take that as reciprocating, I'm a sim pilot not a real pilot.
This is as close as I can come to what I understand you want.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/1-506/Ch8.htm
Cartridge Pneumatic
A cartridge-pneumatic starter is a combustion starter that operates from monopropellant contained in a cartridge. Prior to starting, the monopropellant cartridge is inserted in the starter. Like a regular combustion starter, a cartridge starter fires electrically from a switch in the aircraft. Cartridge-pneumatic starters can be operated as pneumatic starters when provided with outside air.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Dave
I am sure U know a lot more about air planes than me if U constructing your own A/C. What U have to take under consideration is my age (67) and I served in air force a very big portion of my life so unwillingly I started some planes by hand and some DC3 with rope (case of break down) and some of them with fly wheel (it some thing u have to rotate it up to a certain speed and than "contact") .But I still envy you if those R your all the problems. So how R U today?

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

In my experience whether "hand starting" a Cessna 150 or DC3 with ropes it is all about experience and technique as with anything in life. You can just as easily be injured or killed no matter what size the engine or prop is. Very basically engine starts with or without carts in engines is similar in that the engine is forced up to self sustaining speed. If then all else is ok (fuel flow etc) away you go.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...