Re windows new live services

Pro Member Trainee
munday Trainee

Just before xmas I rebuilt my computer because I needed more power.I installed vista home premium and then like most people I installed windows live servicesand the usual programs I.e security Adobe reader and so on,then loaded Fsx and sevice packs.then I loadedFlight one ATR 72-500 and PMDG 747-400and then my trobles would startI would loose restore points and wa getting corrupt files and eventual Blue screen of death I changed my hard drive my sound card my dvd rewriter because I was told that any of these could be causing the problems/Then I had aproblem with my modem so was without broadband for a few days. soI loaded vista fsx and all my planesand regularly did Chkdskand Sfc/scannow and it was telling me that there was no corrupt filesetc I had taken vist magazine andhada dsk with 2998 live services on and loae this again no problems.then it dawnedon me that the windows live installer would check that there were no conflicting programs before it would instal these services.the problem was that either the PMDG 747-400or ATR 72-500 were clashing with the newlive services,I passed this on to mirosoft but havent heard any more Has any one else had this problem?

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
    Pro Member Chief Captain
    Tailhook Chief Captain

I've read your post five times and still find it nearly impossible to make any sense out of it.

Why don't you try again, use paragraphs, punctuation and eliminate at least some of the misspellings. You'll find that soon members will reply and try to help you. Idea

Pro Member First Officer
    Orion (ollyau) First Officer

Here's my attempt at fixing the grammar, but it still makes absolutely no sense to me 😕.

Just before Christmas, I rebuilt my computer because I needed more power. I installed Windows Vista Home Premium and then, like most people, I installed the Windows Live Suite and the usual programs (security, Adobe Reader and so on) then loaded FSX and its service packs. Then I loaded the Flight One ATR 72-500 and PMDG 747-400 and that's where my troubles would start. I would loose restore points and was getting corrupt files and eventual Blue Screen of Death. I changed my hard drive, sound card and DVD drive because I was told that any of these could be causing the problems. Then I had a problem with my modem so was without broadband for a few days so I loaded Vista, FSX and all my planes and regularly did Chkdsk and Sfc /scannow and it was telling me that there was no corrupt files, etc... I had taken vist magazine and had a disk with 2998 live services on and load this again no problems. Then it dawned on me that the Windows Live installer would check that there were no conflicting programs before it would install its applications. The problem was that either the PMDG 747-400 or ATR 72-500 were clashing with the new Live services. I passed this on to Microsoft but haven't heard any more. Has any one else had this problem?

Pro Member First Officer
    Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

Virus??

Reformat.

Pro Member Chief Captain
    Tailhook Chief Captain

ollyau wrote:

Here's my attempt at fixing the grammar, but it still makes absolutely no sense to me 😕.

Nice effort ollyau but the absence of paragraphs still makes my eyes spin. Anyway, here's the first issue I'm struggling with:

... like most people, I installed the Windows Live Suite and the usual programs (security, Adobe Reader and so on)

That most people install Windows Live Suite is a myth. Read any independent review on this "Silver Bullet" and the consensus is an emphatic thumbs down. Most free anti virus and anti malware apps will do a better job.
    Adobe Reader is a memory hog but will do its job if left alone and treated with patience. It can cause problems if you clicked on a PDF link without being aware and because AR takes forever to download a 50 page PDF you might think nothing is happening and you continue on your merry way, clicking on other links and already your system freezes up.
    My suggestion: Ditch Adobe Reader and use Foxit instead.

There is also a mention of the ATR 72-500. I have the FS9 version. In the PDF it explicitly states to load another aircraft first and then change it to the ATR.

Pro Member Chief Captain
    Tailhook Chief Captain

Razgr1z912 wrote:

Virus??

Reformat.

How do you reformat a Dill ...sorry, Dell computer? Now don't you run away... I want answers

Pro Member Trainee
    munday Trainee

First of all I,m sorry about my first post in thje forum.
    the point I was trying to make was this.I had rebuilt my computer because I needed more power.
    I then installed vista home premium and then the new live messenger,live mail and live writer.And then installed the usual programs such as Winzip etc And then my security and I,m not talking about one care as some one miss understood.,
    After this I installed Fsx and the usuall service packs andinstalled PMDG 747-400 and Atr 72-500.Shortly after I was getting Blue screens Stating That Either a piece of hard ware or program I had installed was causing problemsand would shut down.
    As i had installed these programs before without problems I asked my local IT shop about this and was told It could be one of either my hard drive .my Dvd rewriter or ram breaking down and was told how to check my hard drive and ram.
    By this time my computer had been crashing every few days.With a stroke of luck in hindsight a problem with my modem meant that I was withot broadband for a few days.
    However I was able to instal vista and the usual programs and also Fsx and ran regular Chkdsk to see if there were any violations on O/s and each time it came back with no integrity violations.
    Ihad been taking Vist magazine for some time and I had a Disc which had come with this magazine,with messenger and live mail on and installed these 2 programs and then ran chkdsk again and ther were still no violations to O/s
    Also by this time I had changed my hard drive Dvd re writer etc.I had previously been in touch with Microsoftto see if they coud come up with any help.
    It was when I went back on the internet I found that windows live services had been updated to 2009 and this had had caused all my troubles .I had remembered that when you download the installer for windows live services it checks to see if ther are any programs that might conflict with these new services and like most peopleyou want to check yor hot mail and have yor messenger installed to keep in contact with familly and friends,
    So that when windows live was doing its check for conflicting programs there weren,t at that time any programs that it might conflict with.
    The point that I was trying to make was that Flight simmers should watch this because the new windows live messenger, live mail etc might cause further problems to other flight simmers

Pro Member Chief Captain
    Tailhook Chief Captain

Unfortunately I won't be of much help in regards to Vista as I'm running XP. Also, to put it bluntly, I avoid running anything non-essential that has the Microsoft logo on it.

The point that I was trying to make was that Flight simmers should watch this because the new windows live messenger, live mail etc might cause further problems to other flight simmers

Thank you for the caution, I'm sure that at least some folks who run those apps will heed your advice.

Regarding the PMDG, I haven't been in the exact same situation as you but am trying to remember what I've read in the past... having uninstalled the lot, including the OS and then re-installed everything again, it's possible that the original PMDG registration number is no longer valid.
    We'd better wait for someone who knows more about this... if my assumption is correct, you shouldn't have any problems getting your PMDG reactivated if you contact them and explain the situation; after all the records of your purchase still exist.

The ATR comes with an extensive, in depth PDF manual, you might get a clue what causes it to malfunction if you peruse it again.

Pro Member Trainee
    munday Trainee

Thanks Tail hookI bought Pmdg 747 on disc and certainly had no problems activating it.
    I think I was more likely to have had to buy a new liencefrom microsoft has I had re-installed so many times.
    I know with FS Dream team the publishers of Kennedy,and a number of other airports that if you change your hard drive,cpu or motherboard you have to reactivate your product

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...