Folder guages\guages

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

I have intalled the Harrier A/C and the readme file says

3.-Copy the Folders autosmoke and hja_jet contained in the Gauges folder to the Gauges folder of fsX.------ Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Gauges\Gauges
This are Xmail gauges and folders autosmoke and hja_jet
MUST be copied to the final Gauges folder of FSX

I only see one Gauge folder in fsX. What does that mean final Gauge folder or where is it located. ❓

I ask because after putting the folders in the gauge folder I don't have cockpit panel or guages showing in the SIM.

It is the Harrier by ( Alejandro Villa )

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You put the contents of the downloaded folder into the main folders.
Put the actual gauge into the main gauge folder not the folder itself.
Same with effects.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The readme might contain a mistake (typo). It would have been better had you copied and pasted the whole readme or at least the pertinent section into your post.
The only Alejandro Villa Harrier I can find (a link would have been helpful) is the one on top of this page:

The only Harrier I would trust for use in FSX would be the UKMIL one. After many trials and tribulations I finally settled for the Sigma with additional gauges by Rob Barendregt. Both the VTOL and STOL work just like in the movies 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

The readme might contain a mistake (typo). It would have been better had you copied and pasted the whole readme or at least the pertinent section into your post.
The only Alejandro Villa Harrier I can find (a link would have been helpful) is the one on top of this page:

The only Harrier I would trust for use in FSX would be the UKMIL one. After many trials and tribulations I finally settled for the Sigma with additional gauges by Rob Barendregt. Both the VTOL and STOL work just like in the movies 😀

Here is the entire readme file

INTRODUCTION
============
Remanufactured aircraft dynamics, completely designed to work superbly
in FSX de Luxe. Lots of parameters have been changed, since FSX Demo and the final FSX work differently.
Max airpeed Mach 0.98. Minimum landing speed 0

IMPORTANT NOTE
==============
The people that already have this aircraft installed only needs to copy the Aircraft.cfg file to the Harrier GR.7- 1(F) Squadron folder
in FSX and let overwrite

Installation:
=============

1.-Unzip anywhere you like.

2.-Copy the Harrier GR.7- 1(F) Squadron folder to the Microsoft Flight Simulator X \SimObjects\airplanes folder.

3.-Copy the Folders autosmoke and hja_jet contained in the Gauges folder to the Gauges folder of fsX.------ Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Gauges\Gauges
This are Xmail gauges and folders autosmoke and hja_jet
MUST be copied to the final Gauges folder of FSX

4.-Copy the archive fx_X35_dust.fx and fx_tchdwnblue_s.fx contained in the Effects folder to the Effects folder of fsX.

5.-Look for BAE (McDonnell-Douglas)BAe/MDD Harrier GR.7- 1(F) Squadron in the aircraft index when in fsX. Picture of the aircraft will appear

Flying Tips:
============

1.- Use full flaps for vertical take off.

2.- Once the aircraft is on the air, start lifting flaps.

3.- For slow speed hovering over a site use flaps points 7 or 8 9 (cero is flaps up)

4.- When landing, use full flaps only when you are at 100 feet or less from ground. Handle throttle up and down for a correct landing speed (minimum 0 knt, average 2 to 3) depending on your skills.

5.- For hovering to the sides use flaps as described and rudder full or slightly to right or left depending where you want to go and the gyro angle.

6.- Try to get as near to land as possible (300 feet or less) before using points 6,7,8 and 9 of flaps.

7.- The aircraft is water land able (just for fun). Retract gears when water landing.

Credits:
========
Model and textures by Adam K Preece.
Original Dynamics and effects by Claudio Mussner
Panel and hja_jet gauges by Hans Juergen Altmann.
New flight dynamics by Alejandro Villa

Happy Flights in fsX!!!

Alejandro Villa

avc46@supercabletv.net.co

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes just put the effects and gauges into the main effect and gauge folders, then delete the empty download folders.
If you want to copy them and keep the folders with their contents, no harm in that.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Having downloaded 3 Harriers by Alejandro Villa from different sources, I think I found the one you've got. It contains the same ReadMe anyway.

The wording is misleading no wonder you're confused.

I only see one Gauge folder in fsX. What does that mean final Gauge folder or where is it located.

You have to open the Gauges folder in which you will find two sub-folders:

autosmoke

and

hja_jet

Copy and paste these two folders as they are into your FSX Gauges directory.

That's it.

If you want to execute vertical take-off you must reduce your fuel load to at least 50% - less is OK.

You also must set your Nozzles to 90 and your Flaps to 40 - simply operated as usual with your flaps key commands F6 F7 etc.

These are two important points not included in the ReadMe file.

In your 2D cockpit view right-hand corner is the indicator for Nozzles and Flaps.
If for example you set your Nozzles to 94 or 100 instead of 90, you'll be flying backwards.

I'm impressed with this freeware Harrier properly updated and functioning in FSX - but then you wouldn't expect anything less from Senor Villa. If you still have problems, don't hesitate to ask.

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

I have put the ( hja_jet & autosmoke ) folder in the FSX gauge folder but the below photo is what the cockpit looks like. The rest of the A/C is fine.

If I have to open the two folder and copy all the files in them too the FSX gauge folder then I will skip the desire to fly this A/C because the
( hja_jet ) folder has at a guess about ( 600 ) files in it. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I went through a lot of trouble to find the a/c seeing that you neither provided a filename nor the library where you got it from. If you follow my instructions above to the letter, you'll have a fully functioning cockpit.

If I have to open the two folder and copy all the files in them too the FSX gauge folder

I never said anything of the kind... that was someone else who has very limited knowledge in this field.

The hja_jet actually contains 725 files... so what? The total size of the folder is only 32.7 MB. This is NOT much by today's standards.

Now just go and put that folder where it belongs and fly the plane. If you then decide that you don't want it, just uninstall it exactly the same way you installed it and you'll have no traces of it left.

The cockpit with the hja_jet folder in it's appropriate place:
Note the gauge (it looks like an analogue clock face) in the right hand corner - it looks like this after loading the a/c before you have deployed flaps/nozzles.

After you have pressed the F7 key seven times, it looks like this, Nozzles 90 - Flaps 40:

Now you can lift off and touch down vertically... you can see the smoke:

Don't forget to reduce your fuel as I mentioned above.

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

Tailhook

Thank for you replies, they are appreciated. I know you did not say to copy all the files to the gauge folder, I was just stating that I did not want to do that if it were necessary to do so. 🙂

I notice that the A/C skin in your photo is different from the one I have installed, and the cockpit panel is different, so may be we are using a different file, and or possibly mine is corrupt of something. If you could post the link to the file that you have it would be greatly appreciated. I do not remember where I got my file from, but I believe it was here.

Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

This is the page where I got my Harrier from:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1389/fsx-mcdonnell-douglas-av8b-harrier-gr7-1f-squadron-update/

5th from the top.

File description:

FSX McDonnell Douglas AV8B Harrier GR.7- 1(F) Squadron Update 3 Remanufactured aircraft dynamics, completely designed to work superbly in FSX de Luxe. Lots of parameters have been changed, since FSX Demo and the final FSX work differently. Full control at high or low speed. Includes moving ailerons, rudder, nosewheel steering, moving canopy, flaps and nozzles. Max airpeed Mach 0.98. Minimum landing speed 0 Roof top and water land able Panel and gauges included.Model by Adam K Preece. Original Dynamics by Claudio MussnerPanel by Hans Juergen Altmann.Flight dynamics improvement by Alejandro Villa. 12.6MB

Let us know how you're getting on. Don't forget the Fuel and Nozzle/Flap settings as mentioned above for VTOL operations.

For STOL you don't need to be concerned with it. But what's the fun in that - after all it's a Harrier 😉

NOTE: Don't be mislead by the Harrier in my Signature -- it's a different a/c all together.

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

Ok, got it working. 😀 I googled the file name on the first line of your quote Tailhook, and downloaded it. It contained a rocket file and different layout from the zip file that I had,.

But it is a ( 2D ) cockpit panel which is a little difficult flying wise for me. When I toggle ( 3D ) view I still get the black cockpit like in the above photo.

Is there a ( 3D ) panel out their for this A/C. ❓

Thanks for you help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Accelor wrote:

I googled the file name on the first line of your quote...

Not sure you've got the same a/c now... I only quoted the file description to make sure you download the correct file because at Simviation the pictures don't always correspond with with the file descriptions.

This is the page where I got my Harrier from:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1389/fsx-mcdonnell-douglas-av8b-harrier-gr7-1f-squadron-update/
5th from the top.

The line after the arrow is the link. You click on that and it'll take you straight to the page, count 5 from the top. No need for googling.

The file name is HarFSX23.zip - the 23 in the name IMO indicates that it includes updates 2 & 3.

This is not a native FSX a/c that's why I expressed my appreciation for the fact that it had been updated PROPERLY to function in FSX. Properly IMO doesn't mean including a fancy, functioning VC... the "must have VC syndrome" only started with FSX - I personally fly 2D cockpit whenever possible.
My own preferences aside, there is a VC but only a "cosmetic" one - useless... it looks like this:

...a ( 2D ) cockpit panel which is a little difficult flying wise for me

I don't understand this at all. Try this:

When you load this a/c, the default view will be the 2D panel. Don't mess with your F9-F10-F11 keys now. Instead, press W - and again. You can toggle between these two views. In both views you can look around using your Num Pad keys.

This is all you need and the most practical way to fly this a/c. If this a/c had a fully functioning VC, I would like to see you or anyone else landing vertically on a carrier in rough weather while you have your head buried somewhere in your knee region looking for switches and levers.
Any half decent modern mil jet for any version of FS will have a HUD... true, MS have gone further and given both, 2D and VC a HUD - but that, contrary to common belief doesn't make the simulation more realistic.
In real life, fighter pilots don't have a VC but they do have a HUD and the reason for the HUD is exactly so that they don't have to bury their heads between their knees while flying tricky maneuvers and approaches.

I am certain that no developer will make a Harrier with a fancy VC for FSX, so don't hold your breath.

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

I perfer VC because I use TrackIR and it gives 6DOF. In 2D, the panel moves with your head movement, where as in VC and with TR I can look anywhere in or outside the cockpit almost as good as real life with out touching a key.

Do you have TrackIR ❓ I don't think you would if you use 2D panel most fo the time. It is a must have if not, and you will enjoy flying much more and will not want to fly without it ever again. 🙂

I do have the same file as the one you posted.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

No I don't have the TrackIR, I can see how that would make VCs more attractive. What have you got, the 4😛ro?
I've been interested on and off for a while, just don't like the idea of having to wear a headset or a golfer's sun visor -- I prefer my old leather mask when flying 😛

If I found a way to attach the IR thingy to my mask I might be persuaded... any ideas?

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

No I don't have the TrackIR, I can see how that would make VCs more attractive. What have you got, the 4😛ro?
I've been interested on and off for a while, just don't like the idea of having to wear a headset or a golfer's sun visor -- I prefer my old leather mask when flying 😛

If I found a way to attach the IR thingy to my mask I might be persuaded... any ideas?

I have the TrackClip Pro and I sometimes use visor, cap, and headset.

Don't hesitate to purchase, you will not regret it for a second.

I also fly LockOn FC, and now awaiting for DCS Blackshark to arrive.

As for attaching to your mask, I think you will have to contact
agent Schully for help on that. 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I almost placed my order yesterday -- it doesn't take long to convince me that I absolutely NEED some new toy -- sales people love me 😛

Good to know that you're into FC and LockOn; I'll know who to turn to when I run into trouble. The DCS Blackshark received mixed reaction when the first Russian only versions were available, I've been keeping my eye on that one too.

I have one question re the TrackIR:

When flying combat, the setup makes complete sense. Occasionally I fly buses (I admit it) -- during cruise, in between satisfying ATC, I like to move around a bit. My head, my eyes, my butt... eat pizza, drink Vodka and perhaps do a bit of knitting. All this can be done while keeping on eye and one ear on the job.
With these habits in mind, I figure the TrackIR could turn into an impediment -- though I would like to use it during taxiing, TO, Appr. and landing of course. My question then, is it possible to assign a keystroke perhaps to toggle On/Off the TrackIR during cruise?

Re those leather masks, I doubt agent Scully would be of much help unless...
Well, in case you didn't know, those masks were worn before Scully was born during WWII by Japanese fighter pilots to protect their faces from oil spatter and sparks. Fascinating history this, the Japanese fighter aircraft were superior in maneuverability compared to their allied counterparts but had flaws in other areas.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...