CPU time again...

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Okay. I'm considering getting a new processor for FSX. I will plan to get

Duo 2 Core E8400 3 GHz

or

Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.6 GHz400

I'm not sure which would be better for FSX. I also plan on bumping up raphics to Nvidia 9800GT.

Which of the processors would be better given the graphics card?

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

I have the first on you list and FSX runs just fine. My setting are mid/high range. FPS average 25 to 45 depending on location below 6000 and higher above. And the more processor speed the better.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

May we assume your existing motherboard will support E8400 or Q8400? When I upgraded from E6600 to E8400 I bought 2 new motherboards before I researched on intel and MSI websites and learned what works on what!

As for the 9800GT, you might want to read through a thread on this site started by Carlitoboy at https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/35136/fsx-causes-os-shut-down-when-clicking-free-flight/ . The gist of which is that on his system a Geforce 7800 runs FSX reliably, but 9800GT or 9800GTX shuts down his computer when he clicks on Free Flight!

Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

I have a core 2 quad Q9300, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM and the 9800GT. I'm running Vista Ultimte and FSX with SP2 installed.

My system has not bombed or quit or done anything bad. HOWever my frame rates are modest - as bad as 5 fps and as good as 37 fps depending on the complexity of the scenery in which I'm flying. Flying in the vicinity of large, complex, busy airports brings the frame rate way down.
My sliders are all at moderate to slightly high settings except for scenery complexity which is maxed out.

I hope that helps.

The cost of a 9800 GTX has come down pretty well and I wonder if I would see much difference if I traded up to that - but from the reviews I see there is only a marginal difference from the GT to the GTX. Can anyone verify that for FSX?

Can anyone report, in detail, about using TWO GT's?

Pete

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...