carr2006.zip problem

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi.. I am having a problem with the downloaded file carr2006.zip. The problem is that I have all the files unzipped and installed just fine but the problem is that the aircraft is below deck when it opens up. I can slew the aircraft to the carrier deck and also position it correctly but the very second I stop the slew and hit the "P" key to get the aircraft configured to takeoff, the aircraft takes off immediately. It does this with all the carriers that are contained in the carr2006.zip file. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem or am I doing something very wrong. None of my other 15 carriers exhibit this problem.

Thanks for your help

W3CPR

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Make sure when your over the carrier deck you press F1, which makes the aircraft stationed right on the ground. This happens to me at regular airfields and i must press F1 or the plane will just rocket off. Not sure if this is the problem or not, all that i can think of

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

W3CPR wrote:

...but the problem is that the aircraft is below deck when it opens up.

The cause for this could be that you don't have the "Carrier Ocean Flatten Files" at a higher priority than the carriers. In the Install Instructions.txt you'll find more detailed information. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Tailhook... Thanks for the reply. One item to clarify, it is when I hit the "Y" key to disengage the slew that the plane takes off immediately not the P key. All the aircraft in the carr2006 program start below the flight deck so I have to bring them up to the flight deck using the slew method. I then took your advice when I had the aircraft on the deck before I positioned it and hit the F1 key and the system put the aircraft right back below the deck where it started. I do not have the Ocean Flatten flatten files installed. Sure has me fooled.

One other question, do all your aircraft in the carr2006 program start below the deck? If this is not the case, what code can be changed in order to have them start on the flight deck?

P.S. I just noticed something else, when I callup the carrier and the aircraft is below the deck, I go to the map and set the altitude to 135 feet
which the approximate height of the carrier deck. With the system in the pause position and the aircraft now on the flight deck, I hit the "P" key
to disengage the pause and the plane takes right off. Also with the "P" key disengaged, engine off and the plane set to 135 feet using the map, the very second I set the altitude the aircraft takes off as well. It appears to me that my system doesn't like something somewhere because if you are not experiencing this problem in FS2004 (FS9) then it is in my system here.

Thanks for your help.

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Tailhook.... After looking and studying the problem it seemed strange to me that the flight deck on these new carriers was 135 feet when almost all of them are 75 feet or lower. I suspected that the problem was the ocean flatness might be the problem so I loaded in the ocean flattening program and voila, the problem ceased. Now all carriers are at 72 feet and are right at the takeoff point when calling them up. All land with the arrestor hook and takeoff perfectly. I am glad I caught the problem as it was "cockpit" trouble and not the program. The people that got this together did a great job and all 18 carriers are loaded.

Thanks for your kind assistance

George W3CPR

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

George I gather than that everything is working as it should? FWIW you're not the only one the "Ocean Flatten Files" had fooled at some stage. We tend to get too excited (and why not?) and overlook important info in the ReadMe files.
BTW, this "Carr2006" is a lovely package. I actually keep a special folder on my desktop which includes all the documentation of this package AND the very handy world map with the locations of those carriers for quick reference.

Happy trapping 🍻

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Tailhook... I wonder if you use the ILS system when landing on the carriers? During the daylight hours it's fairly easy but if you have fog almost to the flight deck, the ILS will bring you in high. I use the ILS in a slightly different manner and can land in any kind of weather. The way I do it is this, you have to have a radio with the VOR or ILS readout in distance. If you go out from the carrier about 7 miles, which is at the end of the feather and drop your altitude to 700 feet and have the Approach enabled, you will be under the glide slope but the ILS will still line you up with the carrier. Then as you approach the carrier you drop the altitude manually in steps of 100 feet for each mile approaching the carrier. That is, if you watch the DME distance and the second it says 6 miles, you drop the altitude to 500 feet and so on, at .5 miles disable the APR.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks for this mini tutorial George, I sure need it as I haven't flown an ILS carrier approach for about two or three years. Need to brush up on my skills 😀

I've sent you a PM.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...