A fatal error occured

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

Ok this recently started happening to me about 1 hour into each flight.

Everything will go perfect for about one hour into my flight, and then FSX freezes and then the box pops up telling me (A fatal error occurred, FSX is restarting)

This drives me crazy, anyone else have this problem or have a solution???

Thanks people.

Answers 25 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Hongming Zheng (jianqing) First Officer

did you download a addon then all these things happen???

Pro Member Trainee
Brett (Brettxw) Trainee

truckernick wrote:

Ok this recently started happening to me about 1 hour into each flight.

Everything will go perfect for about one hour into my flight, and then FSX freezes and then the box pops up telling me (A fatal error occurred, FSX is restarting)

This drives me crazy, anyone else have this problem or have a solution???

Thanks people.

I have to agree with Jianqing on this. There is a good chance that this is due to an add-on (air craft). I was having this same issue, and then I uninstalled FSX and all of the added crap I had installed with it and re-installed and have not had that problem. Knock on wood.

Pro Member First Officer

You guys really think that could be an issue before i redo FSX ?

( These are the current add-ons i have )

CaptainSim 727
My-traffic X
REX
Ultimate Sound Environment X
PMDG JS4100
Ultimate Night Environment X
And some freeware aircraft.

So you think one of these could have caused that?

I mean this happens with any plane i fly, weather default or pay/free ware.

Pro Member Trainee
Brett (Brettxw) Trainee

truckernick wrote:

CaptainSim 727
My-traffic X
REX
PMDG JS4100

Not one of those add ons. My issue was happening when I downloaded different air crafts to use in FSX, by putting the air craft file in the simobject/aircraft/ folder and then whatever files in the effects. I did not have anyy 3rd party software added on. Thats why I don't think its any of your application add ons, but rather an air craft you added and overwrote a file that it uses, which causes that error.

Pro Member First Officer

Brettxw wrote:

truckernick wrote:

CaptainSim 727
My-traffic X
REX
PMDG JS4100

Not one of those add ons. My issue was happening when I downloaded different air crafts to use in FSX, by putting the air craft file in the simobject/aircraft/ folder and then whatever files in the effects. I did not have anyy 3rd party software added on. Thats why I don't think its any of your application add ons, but rather an air craft you added and overwrote a file that it uses, which causes that error.

So what do you think is the best way to resolve this problem?

Maybe just deleting FSX completely and doing a reinstall or what?

Pro Member Trainee
Brett (Brettxw) Trainee

truckernick wrote:

Brettxw wrote:

truckernick wrote:

CaptainSim 727
My-traffic X
REX
PMDG JS4100

Honestly, I would. Keep your saved flights and what not (if you can).

Pro Member First Officer

Brettxw wrote:

truckernick wrote:

Brettxw wrote:

truckernick wrote:

CaptainSim 727
My-traffic X
REX
PMDG JS4100

Honestly, I would. Keep your saved flights and what not (if you can).

Well, i don't know i will, because this issue could be from a number of things.
So i think the best option would be to manually delete EVERYTHING related to FSX on my PC, and do a reinstall.

That's the last option tho, im still taking out different stuff and then playing the game to see if it still crashes, to see if that certain thing is the copret.
It takes awhile tho cause after i take out something, i have to play the game for an hour or more to see if the error still exists.

Pro Member First Officer
Hongming Zheng (jianqing) First Officer

maybe it was caused by some freeware addons 😳

Pro Member First Officer

jianqing wrote:

maybe it was caused by some freeware addons 😳

Well i took out all my freeware, but i still need to go fly and see if it still crashes.

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

Do you have DX 10 box checked.

Pro Member First Officer

Accelor wrote:

Do you have DX 10 box checked.

Nope i do not.
Because when i do, it makes my game look like total sh*t.

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

Hey guys, I'm also having this issue, where FSX gets a fatal errot during a free flight. This just started up yesterday. I was an hour into the flight and then down she goes. I was so pissed. I was reading the other posts on here about this and I have over 100 add-ons installed and nearly 1000 aircraft installed. I didn't install any a/c that was for anything other than FSX, as I already knew installing different FS a/c and addons would cause problems. But this has been going on now all day today. I tried to do some testing to try and narrow it down, as a manual uninstall/reinstall would take about 2-3 weeks and I REALLY DON"T wanna have to do it. Also a side note, my anti-virus shut off by itself and wouldn't turn back on until I rebooted (don't know if this had anything to do with the problem), but I have done a deep scan of my entire system and found no problems using Norton 360. I was using commodo and had to go to something else with the 64-bit o/s as at the time commodo didn't have anything that would work. Tried version 3.0 but had problems. I can post the aircraft installed but that would be too big a post. If anyone has any ideas that might help me fix this issue without doing a complete uninstall, PLEASE let me know. Here is a list of the add-ons I have installed:

PROGRAM
Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition
SP1
MS FSX: Acceleration
Addit! Pro for FSX
MS FSX SDK
MS SDK SP1a
MS FSX SDK Acceleration
MS SDK SP1a Acceleration
Aircraft Powerpack Wings of Power I
Aircraft Powerpack Wings of Power II
FSX Cargo Pilot
PMDG 747-400X Queen of the skies
Wlco Publishing 737 Pilot In Command
Wilco - Airbus Series Vol 2 v.1h (FSX Only)
Wilco Publishing - The Modern Airliner Collection - Airbus Series Volume 2 - Deluxe Edition
Wilco Publishing - The Modern Airliner Collection - Airbus Series Volume 1 - Deluxe Edition
Wilco Publishing 777 The Modern Airliner Col.
CaptainSim - Boeing 767-300 Base Pack Retail Edition (FSX Only)
FSX Wilco Fleet A400M Retail
Wilco - Airbus A380 Boxed Edition FSX
13 Airports X - Generation Bundle FSX
JustFlight TrafficPlus Pack Military 1
JustFlight TrafficPlus Pack Military 2
Fly The Heavies FSX
Daniel Van O's - Follow Me for FSX
FSX Plum Island
FSX Around The World In 80 Flights
50N 737-300, 400, 500 w/Repaints
Abacus Flight Deck 5 FSX
JustFlight Flying Club X
FS Passengers X
Aerosoft FDC Live Cockpit
FSX Shockwave 3D Lights Redux
Just Flight Captain Sim 757 FSX
Aerosoft German Airport 2 - Leipzig - Halle X
Aerosoft German Airport 2 - Cologne Bonn X
AS Mega Airport London - Heathrow X
Aerosoft Mega Airport Paris CDG X
Aerosoft German Airfields 1
AS German Airports 3 - Paderborn/Lippstadt X
Aerosoft Tahiti
Aerosoft German Airfields 9 - Nordbayern X
Aerosoft VFR London
Fly Tampa - St. Maarten - Barts - Saba FSX
AS Mega Airport Stockholm Arlanda X
Yosemite/Mono Lake Georender
Imagine KLGA La Guardia FSX
German Landmarks
Ultimate Terrain X: USA
Ultimate Terrain X: Canada
Ultimate Terrain X: Europe
Ground Environment X US/Canada Enhanced
FSX Ultimate Night Environment X
Flight1 - Heli Traffic 2009 FSX
FSX Aerosoft Stadiums 2008
FSX Aerosoft Alcatraz
AS_MY-TRAFFIC-2010_FSX
AS_SUPERTRAFFICBOARD_FSX
FSX - France VFR - Brest [973] LFRB
FSX - France VFR - Nantes [973] LFRS
FSX - France VFR - Chambery [973] LFLB
FSX Adventures KlM Missions v1.00
Switzerland Professional X
FTX AU YMML - Melbourne International
Orbx YMAV Avalon Airport
FSX-ORBX-AU RED
FTX AU Blue - Temperate South
FTX AU Green - Tropical North
FTX-AU-Gold
FSX Natural World Trees Package
FSX Bonus Multiplayer Racing Missions
FS2Crew FSX 747
FS2Crew_Start_Center_December_2008
FS2Crew_Start_Center_April_2009
FSX Adventures KLM Missions
Flight1 - Cessna Citation Mustang (FSX Only)
Mega Airport Frankfurt FSX
Focus AI Turkish Air Force KC-135 Package FSX
FSX AI Carriers I
FSX AI Carriers II
FSX AI Boat Traffic Controller
AIRAC Cycle 0905 r1.0 for Captain Sim 757 FSX
Traffic Sounds FSX for WOAI
Traffic Sounds FSX for Military Aircraft 1
Traffic Sounds FSX for Military Aircraft 2
Traffic Sounds FSX Ultimate Edition
Active Sky X
X Graphics FSX
FSGlobal 2008 X
FS Global 2010 FSX
TSR Autobrake FSX
Norton 360

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I wouldn't delete it but Acceleration has SP1 and SP2 built in, I wonder if your installing it separately caused a problem.

The only thing I would uninstall and see if it helped would be Shockwave lights.
When you fly, disable the Norton and afterwards you can enable it.
That will give you more resources as Norton is a hog.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

Well what ever it is it's on a rampage. Same thing just started happening to me on 01 04 10. The only thing that I installed recently is PM sound and my crashes happen weather it's running or not. This thing has been driving me crazy. Crying or Very sadTwisted Evil

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

I know Norton is a resource hog, but only have it on Win7 side. I'm using MSSE on Vista. And a side note to that, the MSSE went nuts right before this started. Couldn't get it to turn on, and it would say it was off. But I never turn off my AV unless the programs I know I'm installing are Virus Free, which is why i keep all my FSX software (addons and a/c) on a seperate drive from the installation. I may take MSSE off as I was using Comodo last year and it seemed great and no problems. Like I said in another post, I'm gonna uninstall everything and reinstall it. One ata time and check FSX I'm also gonna remove MSSE and go back to comodo if they got the 64 bit version working. As now I am missing Follow me and some parts of acceleration when FSX starts up. i have no idea what happened.

Pro Member First Officer

Accelor wrote:

Well what ever it is it's on a rampage. Same thing just started happening to me on 01 04 10. The only thing that I installed recently is PM sound and my crashes happen weather it's running or not. This thing has been driving me crazy. Crying or Very sadTwisted Evil

Yeah back to my post, so here we go again, i Re-installed my fsx and everything.
And well, it started happening once again. I don't know what the hell it's doing, maybe it's an update... seeing as how it's happening to a lot more then just me.

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

I have noticed that after the C++ red x86/x64 are installed there are updates for the thru the windows update service. I wonder if those are not installed or uninstalled/removed if that would stop the problem?

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

I removed the updates of the C++ 2005/2008 x86/x64, and guess what? It delayed the fatal error for 30 minutes. So now it goes to 1.5 hrs flight time then crashes. I erased the fsx.cfg file and let fsx redo it. I'm at a loss here as to wth is going on. Mad

Pro Member Trainee
Longhaul4441 Trainee

Ok I finally got FSX to go on a 2.6 hr flight without any problems. I deleted the fsx.cfg file and let fsx rebuild it. Then I increased my fps from 20-40 and so far its working. No fatal errors. 😀 😀 😀

Pro Member Trainee
longhaul444 Trainee

Ok I think I have it figured out. If your getting a fatal error in FSX, check your memory usage while its running. I had to test my memory and found out that I have 2 bad memory modules. Also make sure your memory timings are still set the same. As when one module went down the other 3 modules timings were not what they should've been. I am in the process of doing a major hardware upgrade and will post in about 2 weeks when all the parts are in and up and running how fsx is running. But right now, I'm down to just 2GB of DDR2 barely enough to run windows, as a 3rd module went this morning. if you want to test your memory use Memtest 86+, It showed me almost 5600 errors in 1 module, then another module just died. I had 12GB and then down we went. Now like I said only running 2GB. So let me know if this helps with those of you still having problems.

Pro Member Trainee
longhaul444 Trainee

Ok I found something that has caused the Fatal Error CTD, one of those was the PIC 737. I did some research and noticed that on some platforms, FSX just doesn't like it. So I removed it and haven't had a single CTD in almost 10 hrs of flights. I also did a major hardware upgrade to the tune of $2000. I'm still running W7 x64, but I replaced the MB from Biostar to ASUS Rampage II GENE, and went with an Intel i7 920 from an AMD Phenom x4 620. I'm also maxed out on my memory with 24GB DDR3. Also swapped out my video card to a little better one GTS 250, couldn't afford the 295 (as the case cost almost $400), and went with liquid cooling Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower case. My fps improved, I'm now stable at a constant 30 fps with every slider maxed. I have also changed some of the display settings, 1680x1050x32, ansotropic w/bileanear, aircraft and buildings show shadows, light bloom, I don't have DX10 checked. I only have a handfull of pgms installed, not the complete list that I put on here a while back. After my current flight of almost 7 hrs, Columbia, SC to the Aleutian Islands, AK I will post what I have installed. But I don't know what has changed in the FSX installation, but like I said the PIC 737 was giving me CTD problems. I removed it and used CCleaner to remove all traces of the program, and haven't had a CTD since. I will also update when I install the other pgms to give some idea as to what also might be causing the CTD.

Pro Member First Officer

longhaul444 wrote:

Ok I found something that has caused the Fatal Error CTD, one of those was the PIC 737. I did some research and noticed that on some platforms, FSX just doesn't like it. So I removed it and haven't had a single CTD in almost 10 hrs of flights. I also did a major hardware upgrade to the tune of $2000. I'm still running W7 x64, but I replaced the MB from Biostar to ASUS Rampage II GENE, and went with an Intel i7 920 from an AMD Phenom x4 620. I'm also maxed out on my memory with 24GB DDR3. Also swapped out my video card to a little better one GTS 250, couldn't afford the 295 (as the case cost almost $400), and went with liquid cooling Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower case. My fps improved, I'm now stable at a constant 30 fps with every slider maxed. I have also changed some of the display settings, 1680x1050x32, ansotropic w/bileanear, aircraft and buildings show shadows, light bloom, I don't have DX10 checked. I only have a handfull of pgms installed, not the complete list that I put on here a while back. After my current flight of almost 7 hrs, Columbia, SC to the Aleutian Islands, AK I will post what I have installed. But I don't know what has changed in the FSX installation, but like I said the PIC 737 was giving me CTD problems. I removed it and used CCleaner to remove all traces of the program, and haven't had a CTD since. I will also update when I install the other pgms to give some idea as to what also might be causing the CTD.

I found my solution to, i just try not to right click while in flight, and not go into the in game menu either.
If i do that, then i can fly for hours on end.

Pro Member Trainee
chilza Trainee

take a look at this. The 2nd post shows how to fix this problem for 32bit and 64bit pc's. (DON'T click the link on the 2nd post as it is something else.) http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/win-7-64-bit-fsx-fatal-error-ctd-restart/14fc20fa-9dca-465b-be42-146414087ec5

Hope this helps. 😀

Pro Member Trainee
mickwill Trainee

Hi All,

I don't know if you guys are running nVidia cards, but I had a CTD issue for a while. I updated the nVidia driver to 257.21 and the problem seems to have stopped. I am running W7 x64. The problem would only manifest itself if I tried to pull down the menu during flight.

Best Regards

Mick

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

This article may be helpful:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4750/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...