FSX aircraft with BMP texture

Pro Member Trainee
Edward Nixon Reynoso Crespo (EdwardReynoso) Trainee

Hi everyone!
I love downloading FSX aircrafts, BUT, those ones with textures files on BMP format do never display texture when installed. I know that DDs are the right texture format for FSX, but I wonder why they say an airplane is for FSX when they have textures files on BMP? Is there anything I have missed about it or I simply could never fly my favorites FSX airplanes other than those provided with FSX?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Most if not all of the freeware a/c for FSX are not native FSX. In other words, they were made for FS9 and then tweaked to make them compatible with FSX; some results are better than others.

Prior to FSX, BMP was the norm.

Pro Member Trainee

Yeah, I agree with you. Those freware were made for FS9, but WHY I CAN NOT HAVE TEXTURE WHEN FLYING? Nooo, that's not the right question; 'cause I know why (BMP Vs. DDS) The right question is How can I have my favorites freeware airplanes working properly on FSX? Is there any solution? Is there any way to solve that out? To be honest, I feel that all those web sites offering FSX airplanes (This site included) with BMP texture format ARE JUST KIDDING WITH US, by offering something THEY KNOW IT DOESN'T WORK.

My gosh! That make me so mad... Not to be able to enjoy something I enjoy so dearly... Fly Away Simulation. DO SOMETHING PLEASE!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If you have DX10 enabled, try turning it off. I'm only repeating what I've read in other posts as I don't have DX10 at all and thus never had any problems with BMP textures not showing up.

In case you're unaware, but there are quite a number of FSX payware a/c sold even now which still use BMPs.

FSX has potential but is an unfinished product just like Vista was. When Microsoft realized that pushing FSX, Vista and DX10 all at about the same time caused a lot of confusion within the flightsim community they simply dropped the ball.

Pro Member Trainee

Hey Tailhook,
In your latest post, you said: "If you have DX10 enabled, try turning it off. I'm only repeating what I've read in other posts as I don't have DX10 at all and thus never had any problems with BMP textures not showing up."

I desired to do so right off and went to "start search", typed DX10, and nothing came out. Typed again DirectX 10, and I noticed I have a SETUP for DirectX Runtime Components... Only I it lets me do is just install it. Did it twice with same results. Noting change.

I don't know how to unistall DirectX from my Laptop. However, I wonder if I need DirectX installed for others softwares to run properly or not?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "try turning it off" - bad English... what I meant was DISABLE it.

DirectX

Flight Simulator X Service Pack 2 previews the new technology of DirectX 10 to enhance environmental effects such as bloom, realistic water, and virtual cockpit shadowing. You must have a DirectX 10 graphics adapter to enable the DirectX 10 features (the check box for DirectX 10 is not visible if you don't have compatible hardware).

Features and improvements include virtual cockpit shadowing, HDR bloom, water enhancements, and efficiency improvements to increase performance in some areas.

To enable DirectX 10 in Flight Simulator X, open the Settings - Graphics dialog box.

To open the Settings - Graphics dialog box

1. On the main screen, click Settings, and then click Customize.
2. Click the Graphics tab.

-or-
3. On the Options menu, point to Settings, and then click Display.
4. Click the Graphics tab.

To enable DirectX 10

1. Select the DirectX 10 Preview check box.
2. Click OK.

The above shows you how to ENABLE DX10. It follows that to DISABLE it you do the reverse.

In other words, you have to DISABLE DX10 from within the game.
Let us know how you're getting on.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...