Multiple Monitors and Windows 7

Pro Member Trainee
Doug Johnson (TigerMoth_N4156) Trainee

I recently purchased a more powerful PC to better run FSX and it happens to have Windows 7. I'm trying to use multiple monitors but having trouble.

I've gone through Microsoft's help on setting up multiple monitors (control panel, selecting 'extending desktop' etc) but cannot get the monitors to extend. The computer recognizes both moniotors and identifies them correctly, but I cannot move my mouse over to the second monitor. My desktop appears on the second monitor. I just tried FSX with it, and When I run FSX the second monitor goes black. Primary monitor works fine.

If I select 'duplicate monitors' they function correctly (same action duplicated on both screens).

Anyone have any suggestions for me??

Thanks!
Doug J.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

My first step would be to check that your drivers are all up to date. I'd go directly to the card vendor's website rather than the computer manufacturer's; i.e. nVidia rather than Dell.

To get your graphics card info easily, hit start, run, type dxdiag and hit enter. The display tab should tell you the make and model, which you can use to update your drivers. Then, try using the manufacturer's utility rather than windows settings to set up your multiple monitors.

And then once you get them working, look into a program called ultramon; it's not free, but it's really nice.

Cheers 😀

Pro Member Trainee
Doug Johnson (TigerMoth_N4156) Trainee

Thanks for the great tip. That did the trick for me! I really appreciate your help on this!

Next question if you don't mind...if I want to extend the cockpit view to the second monitor (and a third I'm going to hook up next) to get that wrap- around visualization - how do I do that with FSX?

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks again for getting me going with my second monitor!

Doug J.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...