FS9 Version Patch?

Pro Member Trainee
Jeff Harr (setupcity) Trainee

Hi. I am a newbie, or trainee I guess. I was reading up on one of the forums, they mentioned(I think it was an acive camera review), that FS 9 can have a version patch. Does anyone know about this, and could you poin t me in the right direction. I suppose I would go to microsoft, if they have any support on FS9. Thanks.

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee

Thank you radarman. I found out I have fs 9.1. But the additional links are helpful. Now I have to figure out the no cd crack- and which one is going to work in fs 9.1. I remember reading something about it being specific. Also like to try fsgoogle earth- but figuring out fsuipc is for another day!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee

Thanks again. Now, at the risk of complicating things....I understand where the root config file is. When I replace it, won't there be a problem....I have put in a lot of planes, and don't the ones with self-installers, modify this file? I seem to remember modifying it, specifically about a sound.dll file ( I think). I can't find my own modification, but it was a while ago. I see myself chasing down the original zip of Tim Conrads T-28, which is where I think the sound.dll instructions were. Or perhaps the fs9.exe file is something else....I seem to remember modifying a file in there, at the end space of the file in notepad. Sorry to complicate things. Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

From what I remember about it is the FS9.exe icon (little airplane) is the one you replace.
The FS9.cfg is the one that makes modifications to your Sim when you load something new that needs modifications.

In either case don't discard the old one, put it in a "hold folder" on your desktop until your certain the the crack works and all is OK with the Sim.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

Hey thanks Radarman, it does work. But I am having never ending frame rate issues, though I have ruled the crack out. The crack buy the way, is about 500 kb, whereas the original exe file is 1.3 mb. So the original is going to have a place on my desktop. Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes the crack is smaller.
Frame rate are usually the fault of the video card and if you fly through graphic intensive areas it gets worse.
Lock it a 30 FPS and see how that does.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

I just set it at 25 fps, and turned down alot of the terrain sliders. The issue persists. If I fly a piston plane, or the default King Air, it is fine. The moment I fire up this Cessna Citation, or a Dash 8 I have, the frame rates go really bad. The weird thing, fighter jets like an F-18, or the F-16- remain unaffected. I did just get fsuipc and first thing I did was program throttles. I have all ch gear. I am going to program all the controls through fsuipc today. I think I set the idles/reverser too close, as when I am flying th e Dash 8, not only are frame rates bad, when I put the plane in idle, it takes a serious turn and dive to the right. So I am going to try putting everything in fsuipc.
I am limited to the video card I have, I believe. I have a Dell Dimension 3000. 2.8 ghz, 2 gigs ram, and I had upgraded to a BFG Tech NVidea 8400 gs- in the available pci slot. I would like to go better, but the thing only has pci slots. Also, the computer is a hand me down from a family member (hence flight simulator) and I just got through to someone at Dell, who shipped me the oem Os discs, for free. So that went in without a hitch, and flight sim is all of a sudden running great. I added a few things, active camera, fsrecorder, and the fsuipc. Just like me to go get all this stuff, when I should have lived with the improvement. I am used to macs, but now I am saving for a nice pc rig, for th eflight simulator. I must be doing something wrong. To go from a great improvement, with the new os, to what is going on and only with certain planes - I mean it blew me away, how well it ran. Thanks for your help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

For FS9 or 2004 your CPU is fine and if this is your card it too should more than do the job.
http://www.amazon.com/BFG-BFGE84512GSP-NVIDIA-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B001LKSFNW
If you can stick in two more gigs of ram that might help but I doubt it.
Any payware you buy will be harder on the video card than default because it is more graphic intensive.

Try turning down autogen, clouds, water, no shadows and shutting off all AI.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

That is my video card. The card itself advertised as "not great" for gaming, but I was really limited, plus I think I could have gotten a slightly better card, but would have to have more in the power supply, or at least I thought so. I think 2 gigs of ram was the limit. There are only 2 slots for the ram.
I could only reprogram the throttles again with the fsuipc, before a friend showed up to divert me. The instructions to the fsuipc are really good, but it is still sort of beyond me. That was my problem with getting the module, I assumed it would be way to complicated, and found no information to the contrary. I think programming th ethrottles is probably the hard one. I had inadvertantly set it up so that #2 throttle was actuating also #3, but after reprogramming, it is doing the same thing- the Dash 8 causing the frame rate to drop. Also I flew a P-47 in Santa Monica, it was fine, but switching it to Teetorboro, in N.J., and the fps dropped way down. I am going to try and just roll it back, just use the standard MS controls, and see if I can eliminate the fsuipc as a cause. I ran a virus boot scan last nite, which pulled up nothing. I am prepared to back up and reformat if I can't get to what is causing this.
A strange thing about that card...I have it hooked up to a wide screen lcd as a secondary display for streaming. If I have that screen off, like when I fly the sim, the computer is acting like it is still on. If I take a screen grab, it captures the whole expanded desktop, even when that tv is off. I think maybe I can go into the Nvidea controls and set up a profile, as that must be using resources.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Let us know how you do.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

Hi. The sim checks out. It turned out I had to put everything in fsuipc. The moment I thought about reformatting, I got motivated. The fsuipc docs and tutorials are great. No more nose dive with the Dash 8. I was a little scared of losing th ehat switch, but it went without a hitch- maybe the hat/pan switch is a little slower than the standard way of doing it, but I like that I can un-check the "enable joystick" box and leave it at that. And I get to assign "cowl flaps" to a lever, which is real cool for those old planes. Frame rates are back to where I can live with them, a little off with the vc's.
I got it going last nite. I have been "test-flying", also with active camera, and the 9.1 no-cd patch. I would have reported back sooner, but spent a good 2 hours putting a gig of ram into an old 900 mhz HP Pavillion-it is done with a very tricky bezel removal, to get the drives out, to get at the ram. Always knew I 'd have use for that ram. So maybe I'll start another thread with questions about Wide FS. I never thought I would go to this level, where I am setting up a secondary map/gps machine. I'm not a pilot- in fact I am a disabled guy with my hip - but it wouldn't hurt to try to take it to another level, at least to where I know where th e next airport is. This is a great hobby. Thanks for your help and support

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Glad to hear that all worked out well.
Sometimes we have to "play" a little to get it going but in the end it's worth it.
Enjoy!

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
nyguy72000 Trainee

I get Error #18 when I try to download this patch. Any takers on this one?
Thanx!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...