Cfg location (RadarMan)

Pro Member First Officer
Derian First Officer

Hey there everyone, I need some help here. My question is where do you save your fsx cfg file when you are customizing your settings in fsx and you want to save them? My default location is MyDocuments/FlightSimulatorXFiles but then I have another CFG which is the main one in my AppData/Roaming etc... Also, how do I access that folder (AppData), without typing %Temp% in the windows search bar, then going into the previous folder.

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Typing %temp% is the simplest way but...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial130.html

W7 is the same way.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Derian First Officer

Alright cool I did that. Thanks for that btw but I still sort of have the same question. The question is; when you're saving your settings that you applied in FSX, where do you save that too? Do you save the settings in the main cfg file located in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX? Or do you save the settings for FSX in this location: MyDocuments/FlightSimXFiles?

Also, I read on the PMDG forums that if i'm running W7 64bit I should turn on Vista compatibility mode for FSX ( reguler, not SP1 or 2). Is that correct?

Thanks for everything RadarMan, Cheers.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Why save the settings if they might be the problem that your trying to get rid of.
The settings have to be in the main fsx.cfg not any secondary one.

I can't see any reason for backwards settings unless that particular aircraft can't be handled (flown) in W7.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Derian First Officer

Ok thank you for everything, so I guess when it asks me where I want to save the settings I go to the main cfg and replace it when it asks me to?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If that's what you have to do, do it...but save a copy before you change it.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Derian First Officer

Well, what do you do when you edit your settings/turn your sliders up or down? Don't you click save and set a destination to save it to?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Derian wrote:

Well, what do you do when you edit your settings/turn your sliders up or down? Don't you click save and set a destination to save it to?

Yes that's for Sim settings not for aircraft settings (if there is such a thing).

I thought you were referring to changes that a pay-ware aircraft told you to make.
I don't fly big iron just GA (mostly Carenado) so I don't know the requirements that they ask for.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Derian First Officer

Alright I made the same topic in the PMDG forums and they said that it is not necessary to save the settings you chose in fsx e.g. scenary sliders etc. All you need to do is select them and that's it and the sim will save them in the cfg as long as the sim doesn't crash. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

OK, I think you have to do that every time.
If you save it then it will become the default cfg, that's only for the Sims settings, nothing at all to do with the aircraft.

When you install a new pay aircraft it writes to the fsx.cfg, that's the one that's important to the aircraft not the one you named in my first paragraph.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Derian First Officer

Yeah I never asked anything about aircraft settings, only if I had to save the settings for sliders and where to save them. I am still lost because I do not know where to save the location of the fsx settings at? Am I supposed to save them under tha main cfg and overwrite it when asked or what?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Derian wrote:

I am still lost because I do not know where to save the location of the fsx settings at?

Sorry Derian, I forgot that this was a conversation between you and RM... shouldn't have joined in Idea

Last edited by Tailhook on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
Derian First Officer

Thank you so much RadarMan! Sorry I haven't replied, the reason was because I left to Daytona Beach in FL to watch a 2 day air show event. It was amazing! The F-22 Raptor was the queen of the skies there! There were F 16,18,14, and the Canadian airforce and Piper's and also the P 51 Mustang and some other planes. Great time at a low price. Happy flying !

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You must have had a great time and a sunburn.
If you can, show us some pics that you took, if you took any.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Derian First Officer

Sure, here you go:

Skip to 6:42 for the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor w/ 2 PW engines, Enjoy! 😀
On another note, I was on the PMDG forums and I asked what new GPU I should get for my Inspiron 580 desktop i-3 @ 2.93GHz non OC 64-bit W7, 6gb DDR3 @ 1133MHz. I think I have one pci slot, the inside of the pc has a LOT of room so maybe a 480? TTYL, I gotta go 2 bed, got school tomorrow! 😂

P.S. I got a great sunburn and tan.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You have some great video!

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Derian First Officer

Thanks! I'm also going with my ROTC class to see the Blue Angels on the 22nd I believe, that'll be great fun! 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...