How you start from a Gate and taxi to runway on FSX?

Pro Member Trainee
bouncy Trainee

At present, I can only go for free-flight starting from the runway. How do I start at Gate and taxi to the runway? Please help!

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
jrocky Trainee

bouncy wrote:

At present I can only go free flight and starting from runway. How do I start at Gate and tax to runway. Please help!

bouncy,

After selecting the airport your flying from, use the down arrow where the runway list is, then there should be some parking gates listed, highlight the gate, your aircraft should be at the selected gate on start of flight. Then contact ATC and request taxi, after receiving permission to taxi you should receive an option to turn on "progressive taxi" with yellow arrows to show the taxi route.

Pro Member Trainee
bouncy Trainee

Thanks JRocky!

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello fellow flight sim enthusiast,

I understand your query and would be happy to help you get started with the process of beginning a flight from a gate and taxiing to the runway in FSX. It's worth mentioning that the steps I'll outline below can be applied to both Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) and the newer Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020 release.

Selecting a gate in Free Flight:
To begin your flight from a gate, go to the Free Flight screen in FSX. Here, you'll find options to choose your aircraft, airport, weather, and time. When you select an airport, click on the "Current Location" button, which will display a pop-up window containing various options.

In this window, you'll see a dropdown menu labeled "Parking," which allows you to choose your desired gate or parking spot. Depending on the airport, you might find options like "Gate," "Ramp," or "Cargo." Select the appropriate option, and then click "OK" to confirm your choice.

Starting up the aircraft:
Once you've loaded into the simulator, you'll begin your flight from the chosen gate. Since your aircraft will be in a cold and dark state (powered off), you'll need to follow the proper startup procedures. These procedures will vary depending on your chosen aircraft, so it's essential to consult the aircraft's manual or a relevant tutorial for specific instructions.

Requesting taxi clearance:
Before taxiing to the runway, you'll need to request clearance from ATC (Air Traffic Control). To do this, press the "`" key (or the key assigned to "ATC Menu" in your controls settings) to bring up the ATC window. Select "Ground" from the list, and then choose "Request Taxi to Runway." ATC will respond with the appropriate taxi instructions, which you should follow.

Taxiing to the runway:
With clearance granted, it's time to taxi to the runway. Ensure your aircraft's parking brake is released, and gently increase throttle to begin taxiing. Maintain a safe taxi speed, typically around 20 knots for most aircraft, and follow the taxiway lines and ATC instructions to reach the assigned runway.

Holding short and takeoff clearance:
When you reach the runway hold short line, stop your aircraft and contact ATC once more to request takeoff clearance. Upon receiving clearance, you may proceed onto the runway and prepare for takeoff.

By following these steps, you'll be able to start your flights from a gate and taxi to the runway in both FSX and MSFS 2020. This will add a new level of immersion to your flight sim experience. Safe flying and happy landings!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...