Changing default airlines to real world airlines

Pro Member Trainee
LarsBruun Trainee

Hello everyone
Does anyone know a way to replace the default fsx airlines (Soar, Pacifica etc. ) with downloaded real world airline textures? Not just for the controlled aircraft, but for the CPU-controlled scenery air traffic. Would be nice to be surrounded by BA, Air France, Lufthansa, Scandinavian and others. Smile

I tried "hiding" the default textures in a new separate folder, leaving dowloaded textures only, but in most cases the aircraft are then either completely black (void of texture) or the white texture. I would expect the choice of texture be defined in an "air traffic scenery configation file" of some sort, right? If so, where is it located?

-Ideas, anyone?

Best regards
Lars

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
LarsBruun Trainee

Holy crap, that was a quick reply, thanks a lot! Smile

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

That's why they call him Radarman, he picks you up as soon as you appear.

Pro Member Trainee
LarsBruun Trainee

hmm, doesn't work... 😕

I have now hidden all default textures and unwanted aircraft and edited the cfg.-files, so only addon-textures can be selected. So far, so good. But the generated traffic is now restricted to A321 and Learjet, lots of each. I want more 737s and 747s 😎 ! Is there a way to define what aircraft and airlines to include in the generated traffic? Perhaps if one could edit "fs-traffic.dll"?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

To remove the default airlines.

Go to Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery\ and rename the file "trafficAircraft.bgl" to "trafficAircraft.bak". If you want to enable it again, just change the file extension from .bak to bgl.

If you aren't getting enough traffic then you are using your new program wrong.
Which did you use.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

LarsBruun wrote:

Does anyone know a way to replace the default fsx airlines (Soar, Pacifica etc. ) with downloaded real world airline textures?

Hi Lars,

Reading this first sentence and subsequent ones also in your final post I can't help but think that you are struggling with some terminology which results in complicating things unnecessarily for you - and I certainly do not mean this in an unkind way.

Let me try and (hopefully) clear up a few points.

Strictly speaking you cannot replace the default fsx airlines (Soar, Pacifica etc. ) with real world airline textures. I am keeping in mind that you may have simply expressed what you actually wanted to say in a somewhat clumsy way... however:

It is important to have a clear understanding of the 'basic' terminology to make life easier for us. The brutal reality is that what you want to achieve is so much easier than you think 😀

Firstly I'd suggest you retrace your steps and undo everything you've done so far, if at all possible. I am suggesting this because I don't know how the following procedures will interact with the changes you've already made - a bit like a chemical reaction, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Should you succeed with the 'undoing' procedure, the rest will be easy.
You wish to get rid of the awfully looking default AI traffic Soar, Pacifica etc.. To do that, follow Radarman's instruction above.

Now you want to populate your skies and airports with more realistic, better looking AI (artificial intelligence) traffic.

My suggestion: Do not waste your money on payware AI traffic. I have done thorough research on the subject for years and the consensus even now is: WOAI (World of AI) has the best looking models. Don't believe me? Start googling and be prepared to spend many hours only to arrive at the same conclusion.

A couple of issues you should know. WOAI concentrates on airliners, they do not do Military AI though there is an excellent freeware option available, also I am not aware that WOAI do GA (General Aviation), Cessna, Piper etc. but again there is excellent freeware available at other sources.
I am only mentioning this by the by - let us start off easy and concentrate on airliners for now.

All right, now go to WOAI via the link provided by Radarman... here it is again:

http://www.world-of-ai.com/

I need to digress. Over the years, many enthusiast here on Flyaway including my humble self, have given guidance, tips, instructions etc. countless times regarding the 'How to start with WOAI' - which should never have been necessary in the first place... but we did it for the kiddies, the eleven year-olds who either can't or don't have the time to read.

...and this is where you are at an advantage. Read everything you'll find on the WOAI page. Do NOT skip the "Read more about the Installer" section. You see, this is essential and this is where most youngsters tend to stumble. Oh, another program to install... does it have a virus... is it difficult to use... and so on. Rubbish.
The installer won't use any resources when you're not using it and it is absolutely kosher and may I point out, it's a breeze to use and makes adding and deleting airlines you might no longer want very easy.

OK. Now you've got the installer - put a shortcut on your desktop as you'll be using it a lot. Next, start downloading your first package - you'll find the links at the WOAI site. Now I'm saying "your first package" because I want you to be able to see the difference before and after with just one airline.

Judging by your name you are either Dutch or Scandinavian... let us take Schiphol Amsterdam for our experiment. Go to EHAM at 7AM and have a look at the AI traffic - after having gotten rid of the above mentioned default AI traffic of course.
Since we are at EHAM, I'd suggest you download the WOAI KLM package and install it using the WOAI installer. Please remember NOT to unzip the .zip folder as is explained anyway in the instructions.
Now revisit EHAM at the same local time and see the difference. If to your liking there are not enough KLM aircraft, just turn up the slider for your AI traffic in your Settings. Now download the Lufthansa package and install it - I'm told Lufthansa can be spotted at EHAM as well 😀

All right, you can go on forever. Try Singapore Airlines for example and lo and behold, they'll be there.

Etc., etc. I think you've got the idea.

A couple of possible "ill-affects" of AI traffic.

The more AI traffic you have installed, the longer it will take for your computer to load the simulator - for obvious reasons. I personally am quite happy to put up with this delay.

Your display might take an FPS hit if your AI traffic slider is pushed up to high - depending on the processing power of you computer of course.

Just experiment... I think by now you can appreciate the usefulness of the 'Installer' 😛

A final word: There are those purists who get terribly upset when an Etihad 747-400 doesn't land exactly at the time the current summer schedule suggests. I do not belong to that group; which is not to say that I belittle purists - should you get irked by outdated schedules, fret not - updates are being published regularly at the larger file libraries... for the time being I'd suggest we stick to the basics.

Any more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask 😀

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

Wow! Tailhook, that was awesome! Not only for the "Kiddies" who don't read but also for those of us who have been so complacent with the default FS world we're provided with that we don't even know to what extent this "extended" world exists. I myself am very happy to fly with Soar and Pacifica, but if KLM, Delta and United are out there, why not! Shoot, I may fold up my little airline I created with FSPassengers (thank you Dan P for a most excellent program!) and fly a real airline.

Point is, Tail, you took a very long time to explain to a lot of people who were either afraid to ask or didn't even know the question exists, with significant detail, about one small aspect of this hobby. Along with my gratitude and compliments, I would urge readers to explore and ask questions about anything.

Just because I signed up for this forum in 2003, or 5, which ever, doesn't mean I've read a lot here. That has changed the past three months. I suggest to others on this forum to read ALOT! Read old posts. Don't only search for something, browse posts from the past, you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you find!

Capt. Naf!

Last edited by naflod on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

With all that being said, I installed the World of AI installer and added six airlines.
My frame rate immediately dropped to 25SPF. I turned all graphics to minimum and still only get 25SPF.

Ok, 25 SPF is an exaggeration but it's more like 2 or 3 SPF (yes, that's Seconds per Frame).

Do these AI aircraft take that much resources or did I miss a step in the installation?

I have an adequate machine, 2.8 quad core Intel, 6 gigs, Nvidea 9500, 4TB disk space yadda yadda running Vista 64bit. The only addon I have is FSPassengersX (wasn't running at the time) and a non functioning FSUICPMOUSE or whatever, it's disabled.

EDIT: AI traffic slider was down to 15% also, I usually run it at 80%

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Capt. Naf

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

naflod wrote:

With all that being said, I installed the World of AI installer and added six airlines.
My frame rate immediately dropped to 25SPF. I turned all graphics to minimum and still only get 25SPF.

Ok, 25 SPF is an exaggeration but it's more like 2 or 3 SPF (yes, that's Seconds per Frame).

Do these AI aircraft take that much resources or did I miss a step in the installation?

I have an adequate machine, 2.8 quad core Intel, 6 gigs, Nvidea 9500, 4TB disk space yadda yadda running Vista 64bit. The only addon I have is FSPassengersX (wasn't running at the time) and a non functioning FSUICPMOUSE or whatever, it's disabled.

EDIT: AI traffic slider was down to 15% also, I usually run it at 80%

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Capt. Naf

Take a look at your AI vs Time of Day. If you try to start a flight, lets say, between the hours of 10 am to 12 noon, then that is where you will experience most of the lag; primarily because the AI will start bringing flights into the airport nearly back to back... there will also be a lot of wave offs, which will compound the lag.

So kinda think realistically with the simulator airports, you'll never see a airport with a plane at every gate. It would be safe to assume that real world airports runs about 30% to 45% airline traffic around 11:30 to 12 noon, and depending if the airport is a regional hub, if you start around 8 am, you'll find most of the planes at the gates.

What I am trying to say is less motion from the AI traffic, more frame rates for you.

Also, kill the red airplane identifier (the name, type, distance and altitude that displays above the AI aircraft). It too consumes frame rates.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Yeah what Tailhook said.. .WOAI is the best out there as far as I am concerned.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

belgeode wrote:

WOAI is the best out there, but if you don't configure your traffic, say like throwing your sliders to the max, you will slow your frame rates down due to the huge amount of traffic entering your POV (point of view).

I am trying to figure out why my WOAI Southwest birds are in white out mode but I can see all my other carriers clearly?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

GundamWZero wrote:

belgeode wrote:

WOAI is the best out there, but if you don't configure your traffic, say like throwing your sliders to the max, you will slow your frame rates down due to the huge amount of traffic entering your POV (point of view).

I am trying to figure out why my WOAI Southwest birds are in white out mode but I can see all my other carriers clearly?

Might be an issue with that package itself. Corrupt file maybe? Mine look ok.

badamchi Guest

when you want to add your downloaded aircrafte to your fs change the tecture names of them with the default textures. for example if you want to add Texture.KLM737 to your 7373 fleet in fs replace its name with ine of your Texture.1 or 2 or ... and add its texts to aircraft cfg.
The trick is you have to exchange the texture folders of two airplane. make sure to do this with default texture which have a number, i.e Texture.1, texture.2, etc.

try this Guest

goto program files (x86) then go to Microsoft games then go to simobjects then airplanes then select a default aircraft move the texture you don't want to desktop and download a texture for that aircraft online and once downloaded move the texture that you downloaded to the aircraft file then rename it so its name is exactly the same as the one you moved!

note: do not do this process to the first texture as it has very important stuff you need in it

to change the name of the aircraft as in the view you see when selecting the aircraft copy the 'aircraft' file to desktop and open using openoffice.org or microsoft word keep the file type as it is

find the name of the texture file (e.g. texture.5) and change the settings to the one you want
please email me on ysuter@hotmail.co.uk for more help 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...