Knots converted to MPH

AndyFS2004 Guest

hi,

I was wondering, I have managed to get my plane flying at about 550 knots (747-400) with a full tank(s) of fuel and just wanted to know how fast I am going in mph groundspeed?? I am at 40,000 feet with IAS at about 260knts i think

thanks Andy

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

1 knot = 1.15078030303 mph

DonWood Guest

You asked what your ground speed was. To know that, you also have to know wind direction and velocity. 500 knots TAS with zero wind will give you ground speed of 500 knots. With a 100 knots of wind on the nose, grounds speed will be 400 knots. With a direct tailwind of 100 knots, ground speed would be 600 knots.

In real life, you can ask ATC your groundspeed or, if equipped, get it from your GPS or DME. You can also calculate it by measuring time to fly a known distance.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Just to add to the above GS display on the DME is only accurate when flying directly to/from the equipment if it is at a tangent you do not get a true reading.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...