Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

HSI/VOR ... in the Beechcraft Baron 58

CTBlankenship
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:19 pm 

Basically I don't like to fly Glass Cockpit ... to me it takes the fun out of flying ... I'd much rather use the HSI, VOR and VOR2 with the standard radio stack. However, I've encountered a problem that I simply can't figure out. When I set out upon a flight and am programming NAV1/VOR1 the guide arrow always points to the radial ... instead of the bearing of the VOR. In other words I'm forced to ride a radiall instead of riding a bearing ... which I prefer.
I am proceeding from 3G5, heading to the EKN VOR (114.20) and landing at WV00. If I payed attention to the instruments, however, if I did this I'd end up in Afghanistan. Can any one lend some logic to this?

Thank you guys and girls for paying attention to this post.

CTBlankenship

Sorry I can't figure out how to upload images ... I'd very much like to receive some instruction with that too. I used the Upload/insert image into post but that did not work.

Thanks again.
CTBlankenship
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:22 pm 

province2012

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:39 am 

I am not a 100% sure of what you are asking. But if you are flying direct to a VOR, you must fly on a radial. The head of the yellow arrow is the heading to fly when you are on a radial. The tail of the arrow is the radial. So with your pic, you are wanting to intercept radial 280, which would gie you a heading of 100. So you fly 060, until the yellow needle is in the center of the head and the tail. Then you turn right heading 100. You will then fly direct to the beacon.
Let me know if this answers your question.
gr8guitar
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:18 pm 

In response to the person that rather use "steam gauges," I too prefer the analog but the glass cockpit in real aircraft will become the norm. As far as tracking a bearing, I believe this is useful when using an ADF (no longer viable) or an RMI. Radials should ALWAYS be associated and used with VOR/HSI's because a person either intercepts or tracks inbound or outbound on a radial when using a VOR/HSI. I would recommend using the term bearing when using an ADF/RMI or even heading or GPS. I never liked the nomenclature of OBS (Omni-Bearing Selector) either. Omni means "all" whereas, one is only interested in a single radial. It would have been nice if it was called "radial selector." I also don't really like CDI(course deviation indicator - being 10) either, I would have called it something like: "Intercept Angle Indicator - but oh well. I believe that may be one reason many novices (including me at one time) confused aircraft heading, CDI and the OBS. One should keep in mind that the VOR receiver only "knows" what radial it is located on - period! - if valid signal. It's up to the pilot using the OBS to properly interpret the CDI, TO/FROM/OFF flag and aircraft heading. Tim's navigation tool is great for demonstrating this if one doesn't have a flight sim or real aircraft.
Graham Taylor

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:49 am 

I am having the identical problem. If I fly on the radial I would be heading in the totally wrong direction. The GPS works perfectly.

I do not have this problem with the Beechcraft King Air 350 however. When I enter my heading as indicated in the flight log, the VOR indicator adjusts accordingly on the King Air 350 but not on the Baron.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:12 pm 

Sorry, my mistake. There is no problem. I suspect Blankenshi was making the same error as me. The direction is set using the 'CRS - Baro' knob situated on the instrument panel to the right of the dash.