charts

Do you prefer to navigate with GPS, Ded Reckoning, or Electronic navigation.
GPS
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
Ded Reckoning
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 9

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Does anyone know where I can get free charts? I would like to learn how to navigate the old fashion way. Radarman, you would probally know.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain

sorry the electronic navigation option didn't come up. Something must of happened. Make a post if your chose is Electronic navigation.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

GPS and sometimes a compass-fly by the seat of your pants, with a little tech help.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

I love all types of Navigation.... It's probably the area of FS I enjoy most.

I mainly navigate by programming FMCs in the modern airliners (most use IRS, an Inertial based system using lasers, that is often referenced against a GPS).

However, I've also completed a lot of flights using pure VOR navigation, with no GPS reference at all.

But the latest thing I've been playing with is the INS (Inertial Navigation System), the old version of IRS that uses Gyros and Accelerometers to determine position referenced against only the starting point. I'm using the version in 747 RFP.

But like RadarMan, I occasionally like to just try heading off in a certain direction and using purely a compass to try and find where im going

Pro Member Chief Captain

but what about the printable charts

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Charts are BIG BUCKS.... You'd think the Net would be crowded with free charts to download but it ain't - software from Jeppeson and the likes is not cheap, and I'm not aware of any proper free charts but I ain't the best surfer, so if anyone else finds what your looking for, I'm sure they'll post details.

Pro Member Trainee
hengchun Trainee

List of sites here:
http://www.tony.smiths.btinternet.co.uk/msfsgate_nav2.htm

Free ones here:
http://www.airnav.com/

and here:
http://www.myairplane.com/index.php

hope this is what you are looking for.
Randy A
Taiwan
PS I'm flying mostly with NDB's this month.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...