visual settings for flight simulator x

yan2411 Guest

hi!
i am recently bought a flight sim x the golden addition.
i try to adjust the best settings to my laptop:
I3 4 gigs of ram and redeon with 1 gig of ram.
the only setting that work well is just the minimal.. its weird for me because i have not bad pc..
what the best setting that work good for me?
if you can be as more specific i will be very grateful
thask 🙂

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Willym Guest

I run FSX on a laptop with an I3 processor, Intel GMA graphics. Far from desireable, but what I have. I use a 22" external monitor for the outside view, and the laptop display for the instrument panel. My FPS is usually in the 20's, and will dip to mid teens or rise to 30+ dependent on all the usual factors (Cessna 172). My sliders are mainly in the mid range- and yes, a LOT of time was spent on optimizing the system for this application. It can be done..

Intel I3-350M, 8Gbyte Ram, Intel GMA graphics, 7200 HDD, W7
CH yoke, pedals. SIIG usb surround audio stick, Track IR
FSX, FEX, FSceneX, Accu-feel, Fraps, PicNic (grass texture)

Pro Member Trainee
Marc Wheeler (CXA001) Trainee

There are a lot of factors involved in getting the best performance in FSX. Machine specs are one thing, but other factors will include add-ons, such as scenery, aircraft, etc.

Here is a link to an excellent article on how to tweak your rig for maximum performance: http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html

Willym Guest

Additional FSX Notes..

The simulation flight experience is relative to the expectations of the user. Some are satisfied with a simple desktop setup with monitor, speakers, and joystick – and others search for the immersion of a full blown cockpit replica. Some aspects are in common for all.

Frames per second. Fluid sim flight is the key! FSX is a notorious CPU killer. Originally designed for a single core processor, multi-core support was added with service pack updates. But this is only part of the equation..

Some basics – in short form.

Windows 7 – 64 bit. A must for all new system builds. Powerful, and efficient, and the basis for all new developments. Some of the new features can eat up system resources – at the expense of 'eye candy'. Some tuning can enhance the experience. A search for optimizing W7 will yield some changes that will speed system operation. Disabling the aero theme, search indexing, and others are among the possible tweaks. The preference is up to you.

Disable unused background processes. When FSX is running – well, that is what you want the system focused on. Complex airliners, detailed terrain, and enabling high-levels of options in the FSX configuration menus is tempting – but all at the expense of display fluidity. Much material has been written on this subject, and what impact add-ons and options have on frame rates. Unless you have a very capable system, usually it is a compromise on appearance vs performance – and what is acceptable for your individual tastes.

System memory - have enough! For XP users 2Gbyte minimum is recommended, for Windows 7 4Gbyte is recommended. And running additional third-party enhancements will also add to memory usage.

Graphics – yes, powerful is much better, but FSX is intensely driven by CPU speed and not so much GPU power. GPU upgrades have a diminishing return, but have the best within your budget.

Multi-core CPU's – pretty much a must. FSX was written for single core, but with all the complex add-ons available multi-core cpu's give the processing power to run fluidly. And installation of SP1 and SP2 is a must – and must be done properly to operate. FSX acceleration and gold editions have these included in the installation, standard installations need install one at a time, and run the program between each install for proper configuration of the registry changes. And – as multi-core support was an after thought, more cores have diminishing performance returns! Four cores with a high clock rate, sufficient memory, and capable GPU is about the best bang for the buck – but run what you have!

Cleaning the system. Like an automobile engine, your system will run better with routine maintenance. Deleting unused files and internet content helps improve file access time. Piriform cache cleaner (CCleaner) has worked well for myself and with no negative consequences – and a free application. It also has a registry clean option, with the ability to back up beforehand and restore if there has been any negative impact. I have never experienced any. And regular drive defrag is also a must. The default system defrag is adequate. IObit also offers a free defrag program (Smart Defrag) that has additional options and has worked well for myself.

FSX options. In the FSX system setup menus, options and more! Some are real system resource eaters compared to others. It usually comes down to acceptable performance vs appearance. Many forum threads, and articles have been written on this topic. Search online resources, and then try and see.. whatever works..

Configuration tweaks. Within the FSX program is a configuration file which defines operation variables and parameters. Many impact appearance and performance, and can be user applied. Make changes with care! Back up the config file before changing – just in case. And again, an online search will yield information on system variables, and what others have experienced with modifications.

Other 'canned' utilities also exist. Some will automatically attempt to optimize system performance, others may facilitate identifying unnecessary background processes and disabling them, or both. Utilities also exist for benchmarking FSX performance – and will give an accurate, albeit relative indicator. Again, all factors are in the eyes of the beholder!

Searching available online resources is the best information tool available. Articles, reviews, and forum threads yield the insights for success. For the casual sim pilot these may be of little concern, but for those who make this activity into a hobby they are the life blood.

Gabrielfer1 Guest

Hi,

I used to have a high-end laptop from 2012 and never FSX ran more than 18FPS. I sold it and took a break to learn more on recommended hardware for fsx. My final config is:

- i7 2700K@4.6ghz (Overclocked)
- 850W PSU
- GTX560i 1G
- Windows7
- Water coolant for CPU
- Bojote´s tweaks
- Shader and ENB series

Let me tell you something, even if you intend to buy the best laptop of the world, you are never going to have such expected results. I have seen huge differences in performance between a desktop and a laptop. Basically, to run FSX with full sliders you need (in this order):

- CPU (overclocked- More than 4.2GHZ)
- If CPU is overclocked, then you need coolant.
- A mid/High end GPU (GTX560, GTX580)
- An independent hard drive for fsx (this one is what I am looking for right now).

And this things (as far as I know) are not possible in laptop's world (not yet).

So the invitation is (if you can), give it a try and change to a desktop... Believe me, your FSX experience will change dramatically.

Here you can find my 2 guides for building my desktop (they are really good guides)...

http://forum.avsim.net/fsx_guide.pdf
http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/article/66-read-before-posting-software-hardware-guide-for-fsx/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...