Can't find runways flying VFR in Flight sim X Gold Edition

Bob C. Guest

Greetings. Sometimes when I fly VFR into small airparks or airports(just flying single or double prop planes right now until I become a better pilot), I can't see the runways from any kind of distance, sometimes not at all or (more often than not) until I'm right on top of them, requiring all kinds of in flight adjustments in order to land. I have my graphics settings on Ultra High across the board but still have a difficult time seeing them. I was wondering if anyone had put out an add-on that enhances the look of the runways from a distance via extra lighting or some other graphic enhancement. To purists that would be "fakey", but I don't care. I just want to be able to find the runway. I'm an older guy and my sight isn't what it used to be, but I'm tired of missing runways. Maybe I just need to become a better pilot and this would be a non-issue. Anyway, sorry for the length of this post and any and all comment is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Bob

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It may be the video card your using or the settings that you have the slides at.
Not trying to insult you (I'm probably older than you) but a few years ago I went to the ophthalmologist and got a prescription for a pair of computer glasses, I never knew that Sim looked this good 😂
All they are good for is the computer.

Giving us the computer specs may help.

Radar

Bob C. Guest

Thanks Radarman. My specs are as follows:
Pentium dual core @ 3ghz
2gb ram
nvidia GeForce 210 video with 512mb
running Windows XP Pro SP 3
All flight sim video setting are at Ultra High.
Believe it or not, I'm still using a CRT. It's a 19" Philips tru-flat and it's 10 years old and still flawless. I'm not getting rid of it until it falters, and it hasn't given me any signs of that happening yet. As to the subject at hand, I think I'm maxing out my video capabilities given the card I have and I probably should invest in a better one. As I'm flying, the landscapes in front of me don't get rendered until I'm very close to them. The objects in the distance stay a blur until I approach them. I think my card is doing all its capable of doing, it just isn't enough to allow me to see the detail I need to see. Airparks with just a dirt runway I really can't find at all even if I'm just 1,500 feet up and a mile away. They don't get rendered until I'm almost on top of them. Anyway, that's my long winded response. BTW: I'm 62 and diabetic, so yes my eyes aren't what they used to be. Thanks for the response.

Bob

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You just told both of us your problem.
2gigs ram
Old video card (most today are using a card with 2gigs on it).
XP. That will be a problem quite soon when Microsoft stops supporting it (I think next April).
It will be a prime target for virus, malware and all those bad things.
I wouldn't spend a dime on this machine because of XP...unless it's capable of an upgrade to W7.
To upgrade it to W7 you will also need a new card, more ram (4 more gigs minimum) and a bigger power supply.
You can get a machine for under $1,000 that will out perform yours.
Nothing wrong with the monitor, it's the computer.

Sorry about the diabetes and I am older. 😂

Radar

Bob C. Guest

Thanks Radarman. I guess I just needed to spout off and write all this down for someone to see and react to for me to come to the realization that my system is maxed out and that's why I'm experiencing these limitations. Until I upgrade or buy a new system, I probably should be flying out of these small airports and airparks instead of flying into them. That might be a better strategy🙂 The runways at the larger airports I can see from a distance. Thanks for the responses and all the best to you.

Bob C.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I understand fully.
Enjoy yourself by doing just what you said.
See you back here when you get a better system, meanwhile have a good holiday season.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...