Loading sceneries

Pro Member Trainee
PierreL Trainee

I have tried loading sceneries with mixed success.
One loaded well, airport LFRD, and boasts some type of installer. I use it OK

The other two FP_simesh (mesh terrain French Polynesia)
and BORABORA2, Bora Bora airport
do not seem to get captured. Although the soft says it adjusts the database for new scenery every time I turn FS on.
Is there somewhere a clear description as to which specific folder needs to receive the BGL so that the "add scenery" button in FS will capture right?
Thanks.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This is the usual simple way to install scenery such as the airport.
Mesh would have it's own read-me.

1. Extract the zip into your main FS2004 Addon Scenery folder, or into a temporary folder, and then move it there, which ever method you prefer.
I use the temp and drag and drop.

2. Start up FS2004 and when the welcome screen, or initial menu comes on, select settings, then click on Scenery Library, and Add Area. Find the Addon Scenery folder and open it, then find the XXXX folder and click on it. The name XXXX should now appear in the title window, then click OK. Then you will see XXXX at the top of your scenery library list, and click the OK tab at the bottom.

3. That's it! You must first exit FS2004, and when you restart it your scenery will be there. It is not necessary to use the Addon Scenery option to locate this scenery, simply go to the airport in FS.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
PierreL Trainee

Thanks, RadarMan,
this is just what I did. matches the instructions in FS anyway. and the .txt file
But the instructions also say that this will create two folders "scenery" and "texture" and the zip files besides the txt file and a 2 or 3 jpgs (general maps) contains only one single bgl file. And following the procedure does not result in a complete process as with other sceneries.
Normally after one has selected the folder and clicked OK the scenery appears on top of the list of sceneries. Here one can click for ever and one stays at the same step.
The scenery is FPSI_mesh, regards scenery for French Polynesia.
The author id Rolf Keibel in case you knew of his whereabouts so that I can inquire with him. Does not return any address under Google.
Thanks,
Pierre

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Be aware that the installation instructions with some FS addon downloads are not quite accurate. I have found it better to unzip into a temp folder first to see what I've got for folders and files.

I am not familiar with the FPSI_mesh (what's the file name?) but I just installed Bora2.zip. Upzipping it to a temp folder I found it consists of a "Bora2" folder with two sub-folders, Scenery and Texture. From the temp folder I dragged-n-dropped the Bora2 folder on to the Addon Scenery folder of FS9. I then followed Radarman's #2 instructions to finish off the install.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I downloaded fpsi_mesh.zip and below are the directions for that. It's as Michlin said.
Between the two posts you mention 3 downloads, lets take them one at a time, which are you having a problem with.
This is in that zip, by the way, great maps.
"Unzip the fpsi_mesh.zip file to a temporary location and then place the Fr_Polyn99.bgl file in your FS200x\Addon Scenery\Scenery folder. That's it!"

Rolf Keibel 2004 sceneries, his e-mail is in the zip, if it's still good.
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Rolf+Keibel+&CatID=fs2004scen&Go=Search

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
PierreL Trainee

Tks, RadarMan
I have only downloaded 4 sceneries so far. And they are so different in installation procedure and volume of files, and creating their own folder that I wondered if I had done right:
LFRD - a small airport in France - self install. Excellent airport scenery
Nepal - self install (purchased) - lots of file, self install - outstanding matching scenery to recent treks and flights there.
Bora-Bora - The airport matches well the scenery, even if one has to fly low to see the docking piers at the back or toddle the plane between the coconut trees to see the back of the airport.
FPSI_mesh: just disappointed and was not sure it worked until I installed FS onto another PC without FPSI-mesh and saw the difference.

The island of Bora-Bora is rendered about OK, but there are a lot of fairly large surrounding islands missing (called Motus). One of them is probably 3 miles long and up to 1/4 mile wide, but very low, possibly 3 to 4 feet above the sea level. And I wonder if this does not lead to it disappearing entirely out the scenery. Possibly the software that computes the sceneries reads only "real" altitude above a certain level above the sea, and there is no one trying to match this to an actual costline. Admittedly difficult given the fragmentation of the islands.

Unfortunately Bora-Bora also has very stiff cliffs (basalt cones) which apparently also create problems in rendering. So altogether a difficult place to render faithfully, hence my disappointment, and my wondering if I had done it right.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you can see part of it then it all should have been loaded.
If you have less than 1 gig of ram that could be the rendering problem, I'm pleased to hear that all the others installed and look good.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...