GlobalFlyer around the world flight

Guest Ed Guest

I just came across an article in Aviation Week about this plane, the GlobalFlyer, which will be piloted by Steve Fosset to attempt the first around-the-world, no-refueling, solo flight. It is built by Scaled Composites, designed by Burt Rutan (who designed the Voyager aircraft and the Spaceship 1). I found several links with a Google search, but here is the first one that had a photo:

http://www.netcomposites.com/news.asp?1910

I hope this URL works; I've never tried posting a URL on this site before.

A few interesting facts about the aircraft:

Maximum takeoff weight is 22,000 pounds, and a zero-fuel weight of 3,700 pounds (including pilot). That means 83% of the weight is fuel.
(Passengers will please refrain from smoking for the duration of the flight! 😳)

It has a single Williams FJ44-3 ATW turbofan engine.

It uses JP-4 fuel, because that has a lower freezing point than the more common JET-A fuel-- they give the fuel a three cold soak before loading, to get enough fuel onboard for the trip. If they used JET-A, they couldn't load enough fuel to complete the trip by a few percent.

It is so streamlined that it has to have drogue chutes to allow a reasonable approach angle for landing.

This is so freakin' cool! I love this kind of way-out-on-the-hairy-edge kind of technology.

Ed

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I wonder what it would be like to fly it in real life?

Guest Ed Guest

Sorry, I meant to say the fuel gets a "three-DAY cold soak."

Oh, flight sim content: it would be extremely cool if someone would do a sim version of this or the Voyager. 😀

Ed

mypilot wrote:

I wonder what it would be like to fly it in real life?

Well, for one thing it requires a really long runway. . . 😀

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...