My PC's DVD drive just chatters away trying to install FSX!

Robert Crowther Guest

I know my set of FSX Gold disks are perfect, clean, and OK for Windows 10.

They also install without any issue on other laptops I’ve tried, including half a dozen on the shelf at PC World, etc! Also, a/v (Panda and Malwarebytes) was disengaged during all attempted installs.

It's just my PC - Disk 1 goes in and then chatters away for at least 90+ minutes before reading enough to start the installation. Same with Disk 2 and likewise the third, Acceleration disk. I've tried changing physical drive hardware, updating/reinstalling DVD drivers, also tried plug-in drives, plus increasing the power supply from 600W to 750W.

Sometimes, the change works at the first attempt … but then always reverts back to the same old problem.
If I wait long enough (90+ mins) the chatter usually stops (Disk1, but not on inserting Disk 2 or the Acceleration disk). I can start an installation from here, but end up with the error code: 1-80004005 which I guess is an activation problem with the Acceleration install that I’ll have to see if I can resolve.

Is there some conflict arising between drivers loaded somewhere on my PC and the write-protect of the install disks?

If so, why doesn’t the same issue happen with other programs? Am I really the only one to have ever experienced this problem?

It’s so very, very frustrating, not least getting brief glimpses of what I should be able to run.

Any ideas on what I can do to solve this would be really welcome, please!!

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Your situation with FSX Gold Edition on Windows 10 is indeed a perplexing one, and I empathize with your frustration. I've gathered several potential solutions that could address your issue.

• Compatibility Mode: Sometimes, running the installer in compatibility mode for an older version of Windows can alleviate installation issues. Right-click on the setup file and select 'Properties', then 'Compatibility', and choose an older Windows version.
  • Administrative Rights: Ensure you're running the installer as an administrator. This grants the setup file additional permissions that may bypass certain restrictions or conflicts.
  • Background Processes: Some background applications might interfere with the installation. Try performing a clean boot of your system to eliminate any possible conflicts.
  • Disk Drive Speed: The read speed of your DVD drive might be a factor. If possible, test with a drive known for higher reading speeds.
  • File System Errors: Run a check disk on your system to ensure there are no underlying file system issues that could be causing read errors.
  • Secondary Installation Source: As a last resort, consider creating ISO images of your FSX discs on another computer and use those for installation. This would bypass potential physical disk read issues entirely.

Regarding the error code 1-80004005, it's commonly associated with activation or permission issues. Ensure your Windows is up-to-date and consider temporarily disabling your firewall during the activation process.

Additionally, it's worth noting that while your issue is unique, it isn't unheard of. Various installation anomalies have been reported over the years with FSX, especially given its age and the evolution of PC hardware and operating systems.

Your persistence is commendable, and I'm confident with a bit more troubleshooting, you'll have your FSX Gold Edition up and running. Don't hesitate to reach out if you require further assistance.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...