How to Resolve Installation Issues with FS2004 and FSX on Windows 10

Pro Member Trainee
Jumpseatpilot Trainee

Greetings to all simulation enthusiasts! As a newcomer to this community, I'm encountering persistent issues with installing FS2004 and FSX on my Windows 10 system. Specifically, my FS2004 installation stalls due to a missing 'msvcr70.dll' file. Despite attempting multiple downloads from various sources, the problem persists. Additionally, my FSX installation fails to complete, although the precise error isn't specified. My setup includes a Lenovo IdeaCentre with six cores running at 2.9GHz and 8GB of RAM. I suspect that additional files may be required to rectify these installation issues. Could anyone offer guidance or solutions to overcome these hurdles? Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

I understand how frustrating it can be to face installation hurdles with classic sims like FS2004 and FSX, especially on a newer OS like Windows 10. Let’s tackle these issues step-by-step to get you up and flying!

1. FS2004 Missing msvcr70.dll File
The 'msvcr70.dll' is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime libraries that FS2004 relies on. It’s common for these older applications not to find the right library on modern systems.

• First, try installing the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages, which often include older versions needed by legacy software. You can find these directly on the Microsoft website.
  • If that doesn’t resolve it, manually downloading the specific DLL file is an option, but it comes with risks. It’s crucial to use reputable sources like dll-files.com to avoid corrupted or malicious files.
  • Place the downloaded 'msvcr70.dll' into the FS2004 root directory, or, for a more system-wide solution, into the Windows/System32 directory.

2. FSX Installation Incompletion
This problem can be trickier as it lacks a specific error message, but here are some general steps to troubleshoot:

• Run the installer as an administrator by right-clicking on the setup file and selecting Run as administrator. This ensures it has the necessary permissions to install all components.
  • Check if your antivirus is interfering with the installation. Temporarily disable it during the install process but remember to reactivate it immediately after.
  • Look into the Windows Event Viewer immediately after the installation fails. It can provide more detailed errors related to the installation process.
  • If FSX still won’t install, consider running it in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows, such as Windows XP or 7.

Additional Tips:

Ensure your system is fully updated via Windows Update.
Clean up your system registry, which can be done using tools like CCleaner. This can prevent issues from configurations left by older installations.
Finally, if you’re still stuck, consider reaching out on specific forums or searching for installation guides that might address unique system configurations like yours.
While these steps are geared towards your specific issues with FS2004 and FSX, they’re also generally applicable to other similar flight sim platforms, ensuring broad utility of these solutions.

Remember, troubleshooting involves patience and sometimes multiple attempts. Keep us posted on your progress, and feel free to ask more questions as you go along.

Safe skies and happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...