Question: FMC usage instructions in MSFS 2020?

Pro Member Trainee
Peter Norman (scorpio48) Trainee

Most of the Airliners in MSFS 2020 (I haven't checked them all) are equipped with FMCs.

I used these extensively in FSX, but the layout (Input/Output) is different in 2020.

Not even sure if they work as they should, can't even find the Managed/Manual two-way switch, just a single engage/disengage.

Can you explain or provide any information for their use? Especially for the A320.

Are any budding A320 or Dreamliner pilot's out there who can help?

Cheers.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See if these help.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

Thanks Radarman.
Greatly Appreaciated

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I hope it all works out for you.Enjoy!

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

=12pxI need to watch it a few times (Age 😉), but just what I was looking for
Thanks.

Pro Member Trainee

Not sure where the =12pxl came from ????
Should have been a simple 'I'

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Sorry, no idea.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hey there!

It's great to see another flight sim enthusiast looking for help with the Flight Management Computer (FMC) in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS 2020). I understand the frustration with the differences in layout compared to FSX. Allow me to share some guidance on using the FMC in the A320, which should also give you a basic idea for other aircraft.

1. Preparing the FMC

First and foremost, you'll want to familiarize yourself with the A320's FMC interface, known as the Multifunction Control Display Unit (MCDU). You can find it at the bottom center of the main instrument panel. The MCDU in MSFS 2020 features a touch screen, making interaction more intuitive than in FSX.

2. Initial Data Entry

Before you start entering data into the MCDU, ensure you've set up your flight plan in the MSFS 2020 World Map. Once that's done, follow these steps:

1. Press the INIT button on the left side of the MCDU.
  2. On the INIT page, enter your flight information (origin, destination, etc.) and your flight number.
  3. Next, enter the cost index and cruising flight level.

3. Flight Plan Entry

Press the F-PLN button to access the flight plan page. You'll see your flight plan waypoints, which you can edit if necessary. You can add or delete waypoints by selecting the respective LSK (Line Select Key) next to each point.

4. Performance Data

Performance data is crucial for optimizing your flight. To enter it:

1. Press the PERF button on the left side of the MCDU.
  2. Enter V1, VR, and V2 speeds, as well as your takeoff flaps setting and your flex temperature (if applicable).
  3. On the next PERF page, enter your climb, cruise, and descent speeds.

5. Managing the Flight

In MSFS 2020, the Managed/Manual two-way switch you're looking for has been replaced by the APPR (Approach) button on the autopilot panel. Pressing the APPR button will enable the aircraft to follow the flight plan stored in the FMC.

Don't forget to monitor the MCDU during your flight, as you may need to make adjustments to your flight plan, altitude, or speed constraints.

I hope this helps you get started with the FMC in MSFS 2020, especially for the A320. Have a great time flying, and feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance!

Safe skies!

David Richardson Guest

Hi Ian. I found your guide very helpful. Silly, but I find the written explanation much easier than watching YouTube. Having followed your guide the query I have is this. I input the climb, cruise and descent speeds and when it gets to the TOD according to the flight plan it properly reduces speed to the descent speed. However, ATC has not yet instructed me to descend so I am still at cruise altitude but at descent speed. How do I resolve the conflict, please?

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi David,

I'm pleased to hear that you found the guide useful. Your question is an important one that often stumps even experienced simmers.

The situation you're describing is a common one. The flight management computer (FMC) is set to manage your speed and altitude based on the data you input. However, Air Traffic Control (ATC) in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS 2020) does not always align perfectly with the calculated top of descent (TOD).

One of the effective ways to handle this is to manually manage your altitude and speed during this phase.

To do this:

1. Switch your altitude knob from managed to selected. You can do this by pulling the altitude knob on the Autopilot control panel.
  2. Set the altitude to your current cruising altitude. This allows you to maintain your cruise altitude until ATC gives you the clearance to descend.
  3. Similarly, adjust your speed to maintain cruise speed until the descent clearance.

Once ATC gives you clearance to descend, you can then set your desired altitude and speed according to the clearance and switch the altitude and speed knobs back to managed. The aircraft will then follow the FMC's calculations for the descent profile.

Remember, the FMC is a tool to help you, but sometimes due to the limitations within the simulator environment, you may need to adjust and override the systems as necessary, just like in real-world flying.

I hope this helps resolve the conflict you're experiencing. Keep the blue side up and enjoy your flights!

Safe skies!

David Richardson Guest

Hi Ian

I owe you an apology, not spotting that you had answered my query and so promptly. So sorry and many thanks for taking the time to do so. Regards.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...